Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Water Dreams

Gerard,

Thank you so much for your insights on my first dream post about the silk worm dream. It really validated some of my thoughts on the dream but it also really clarified my feelings as well. I hope I'm not being greedy here but I had another dream that feels really important and I thought I might ask for your thoughts again. This latest dream seem to really want to speak to me but I'm having a bit more difficulty uncovering the message.

This one came I think, exactly one week after the silk worm dream. I feel like they are related in my over all feelings in regards to my relationships with men.

Dream: The dream is all about water, I sense there is water everywhere (I have always enjoyed being in the water and I have no fears of it) So in the first half of the dream I am on a sort of flat wooden plank dock or raft tied to the main land. I look at the ropes tying the raft to the main dock and I notice that they are untying themselves so I make a quick decision to jump into the water thinking that the raft is floating away from the main dock too quickly and that I will be able to swim faster back to the main dock. Once I am in the water I realise that it is very swift and instantly I am very far from the shore and can see that in fact the raft or dock that I was on did not untie itself but is still tied to the main dock and realise that I have made a mistake. I know that I have made a mistake and realise that I can't possibly swim fast enough to get back to the dock so I quickly try to catch the attention of the boats sailing around me in the water by yelling help. I am worried that they can't hear me and my voice is muffled but I finally catch the attention of a passenger on a small cruise ship passing me by and know that I will be saved. Then instantly I switch to another dream in which things are very calm, relaxing, and soothing. I am a huge, absolutely gigantic gym type swimming pool with the black lanes on the bottom and huge mountain rises behind the swimming pool in a very scenic place. I suddenly find that there is young boy there almost waiting for me after I finish looking around. (I realise later that this is a boy that I know someone that haven't seen for years and years from childhood, not somebody that I even knew very well just a boy that lived near me, although he looked nothing like him but I just some how knew it was him and recognized his dark skin) We don't talk to eachother but seem to be communicating telepathically and I know that he is telling me to relax and float on my back in the water. He sort of guides me around all over the pool, all the while we are just looking into eachothers eyes. I then sense that it is time to stand up in the water and realize that there is some type of graduation ceremony where hundreads of people are coming towards the water to get in, taking off their outter clothes and tossing off their graduation hats as they come towards the pool. I just observe this ceremony and the people coming from all over to get in the pool and the dream ends.

Thank you so much, and I'm so sorry for being so lengthy.
Email: lizbranham@aol.com

Age & Location {Required}: 32, Los Angeles, CA

Male or Female {Required}: Female

Have You Posted A Dream Previously? Yes, once

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 32, Los Angeles, CA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: Water Dreams

Liz,
I hope my interpretation shed some light on the possibilities to the dream message. I will take a good look at your response and second dream this weekend. The past several days I've had to put all my mental energies into combating the social dragon {working to make a living}. I try not to force an interpretation unless my mental facilities are 100% trained on my dream work.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Hi Gerard,

I understand completely. Enjoy your weekend.

Liz

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Liz,
A long dream often requires a long response. Let's hope there is a benefit from both.

Water is most often symbolic of the unconscious and your emotional state of mind {emotions, attitudes that may be hidden and need to be made conscious}. It is also symbolic of the psychic energy within, the fertility, growth, creative potential within the individual psyche. In your dream this aspect is a part of the whole self {wooden plank or raft tied to the main land}. In your dream the raft seems to be addressing an important aspect that you wish to retain but there is a fear it is drifting apart from you. You may be facing certain attitudes of your own or from others that is making it difficult to hold on to these desires aspects. There is perhaps an outer fear of losing this aspect but deep inside and unconsciously there is a strong current of appreciation for it that will not let go {this is common among those who have discovered deeper truths about themselves, often having to do with creativity, spirituality or the hero path itself. The 'mistake' may symbolize doubts and consciously you may be trying to correct what you perceive to be conscious mistakes when in fact intuitively you are on the right path, inwardly}. The mistake on a personal level is probably the failed relationship. But here too your actions are pointing to a correction of those mistakes.

In our social life of requirements we often lose sight of the truly important 'inner' requirements that are attributed to the hero journey. When this happens we tend to look outward, even though the true self is seeking inward guidance {creativity, spirituality, expanding oneself to a higher knowledge}. You may not be listening to the inner voices as much as you should be, the intuitive voices. Ships are sometimes symbolic of the feminine aspect and this may tie in with the intuitive aspect. The cruise aspect may apply to the effort being put into attaining these desired inner goals {intuitive aspects}. Outwardly your life is good but there may be something missing {which is a common reflection for anyone who is on or contemplating the hero journey}.

I can't say precisely what in your outward life the dream is addressing, that is personal and only you can equate the dream to the actual experiences in your waking life. But I do believe it has to do with your inner self and better use of your intuitive aspects in dealing with the world around you. The second part of your dream seems to confirm the intuitive aspect {communicating intuitively}. It may seem hard to understand how the young boy fits into the feminine nature of intuitiveness but in a patriarchal world in which we live there is a growing need of balance of masculine and feminine, and you are at that stage of discovering a new strength within, a masculine value that balanced with the intuitive feminine will provide the greatest strength available to any individual. This new strength, using the intuitive aspect as the inner guide and the newly developed masculine awareness of this intuitive self as a guide for the outer conscious self, provides you with the will to expose the true inner self. The ceremony is your own graduation to this higher awareness and inner knowledge.

Looking at your first posted dream I can see where the discovery of self in the second post, having to do with your past failed relationship {the mistake in the second dream in your personal life}fits. But I also see an inner search that if heeded {this is the higher aspect of the inner psyche having to do with the hero/heroine journey}can lead you to new horizons that were previously not known to you. In your waking life you have a chance to make wiser choices because of your 'mistake' in the previous relationship. You are wiser for it. But also available, and this is important if you should take heed of the call, is an understanding and appreciation of the deeper aspects of the inner life where creativity and spirituality can become a real force in your life. If heeded you will find new strength in life that will carry you beyond the worldly aspects to an inner peace that will provide a balanced and harmonious life.

At the age of 32 you are approaching those years of mid-life {35 to 55}. Although your dreams are definitely addressing your waking life as it is at the present, I sense an awareness on your part of that higher calling. It may just be me looking for that positive aspect of the psyche. But the dream seems to be more than just about a failed relationship and a recognition of that. I believe you do have an awareness, although still young and developing {the young boy in your dream}, of that higher calling. Is there a creative aspect that you possess that has recently presented itself to you? I was 42 before I recognized that aspect within myself {when I first came across Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth}. At least outwardly. I had an awareness of something more powerful as early as my early 30s but had no clue to what it was until my connecting to Campbell. It may be dramatic on my part but I sense this in you, through your dreams. That is the gift of intuitiveness I have found within due to my studies of Campbell and Jung. Your dream 'reeks' of intuitiveness, in fact states it in direct language {this is where dream language is direct, addressing an inner wisdom, whereas most language of dreams is symbolic}. Am I right or am I being overly dramatic? The positive tone at the ending of your second dream reinforces my suspicions.

Gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi Gerard,

You are right on. I actually had an immediate emotional response to what you wrote and my eyes welled up with tears. I can say for sure that out of this failed relationship came a lot of good. I realised finally what my calling is and I have just returned back to school with a plan and a clear goal in mind, a calling. I joked the other day when asked by a friend what my goal in life was, or what I wanted to do with my life, and my answer was that I wanted to save the world from it self. He knew what I meant and it wasn't really a joke, except that I added a bit of drama in my answer for affect. I realized through my extensive travels throughout the world that I wanted to give back to it and help the developing world through it's growing pains and stop some of the suffering the children are enduring from poverty. In actual fact this was the only link that I had with my former boyfriend, he did have a desire to help the children in his community in India however it was only a footnote in his life as I was as well only a footnote in his life. So I suppose this dream comes at an appropriate time as I have just begun my schooling as of three weeks ago and as well I feel I have recovered from the relationship, have moved on, and am ready for true companionship.

Thanks for your guidance and your insight!

Liz

PS I will read up on the hero path, and more of Joseph Campbell. I already know that there is further insight there for me.

Liz,
Thanks for the heartfelt follow-up. I sensed there was something about your dream that had to do with a 'calling' {water dreams are often from the deepest realms of the psyche}. Your response also demonstrates how dreams display the deepest emotions in symbolic language. One only need to understand the *clues available through study of Jungian dream techniques to bring out those hidden aspects about oneself. The fact that you automatically connected with my words is evidence of how archetypes function within the dream and how the individual psyche connects to the universal language of dreams. Whereas lesser minds will scoff at such speech of 'inner knowledge', those who follow the path will find true balance and harmony in life.

* Myths are clues to the spiritual potentialities of the human life
from Joseph Campbell and The Power of Myth

Now that you better understand that your calling is an essential aspect to how you should live your life, there are other clues available that can help you on your journey. I hope you do read the pages I have created on Joseph Campbell. His insights, and his ability to articulate those insights, can be earth moving to those who heed the 'call' to adventure. Instead of the ordinary life of social duty and doing as you are told that most people live their inauthentic lives {T S Eliot's poem The Waste Land}, the hero/heroine adventure will elevate life to the highest potential. You seem to be at that crossroads of self discovery and because of the synchronistic happen-chance of posting your dreams at the Dream Forum you will have discovered new ideas that will help you on your 'heroic' journey. At 32 you are a leg up on most who do realize that potential. I hope you will keep us informed of your progress and will use the Forum to post those dreams that you believe have significance to your path. If you stay the course {discipline is a essential characteristic of the hero/heroine} you will have those dreams no doubt.

Gerard

Hi Gerard,

I will for sure continue to post my dreams, you perform a most benevolent and important service here. I suppose this is your calling. I have been called to adventure, in fact, in the form of an inescapable urge to wander the globe and experience first hand the many facets of the world's culture. I have spent several months at a time over the past 4 years traveling around the world. I was only able to afford this my making it my only priority other then being home with my parents and family of friends when they needed me. Although I have never found a mentor in the form of a teacher, I have found many inspirations in the books I've read, especially and synchronistically on my travels. 'Siddartha' & 'Demian' by Herman Hesse, all of the books by Paulo Coelho had a huge impact on me, and most recently a book called 'Original Wisdom: Stories of an Ancient Way of Knowing' by Robert Wolff all come to mind. It is an ongoing challenge for me to have the discipline to follow this calling but at the same time I know it is the only path for me.

Thank you again,
Liz

stats from 7-14-10 to the present