The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community

The DH Online Community Forum

This message board is now read-only and has been superseded by the new forums which can be found here.

The DH Online Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Women Only

I no longer have periods, but I can say from personal experience that hormones DO affect DH. I was diagnosed 15 years ago while pregnant with my second child (about a month before the due date). I had a rash on my wrists, knees, and the tops of my feet, relatively mild. After giving birth, the DH went WILD!!! It was highly uncomfortable. I eventually went on Dapsone (for 15 years), but have recently 4/11/03, started the GF lifestyle. My liver was protesting against the Dapsone.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Tracie,

Don't stop the diet. It's much healthier for you in the long-run. It does take time and yes, I sometimes get a few spots on the tops of my feet just before my period. The longer you're gluten-free the less trouble it should be. February really isn't very long, especially if you've had a few slip ups on top. It can take up to a year or more for the rash to clear if you're not taking dapsone but the intensity of the rash lessens before then, I believe (I took dapsone so didn't go through this). Try not to be too discouraged - it will be well worth it in the end, I promise.

Annie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi all,

I am wondering if any of the women with DH have flares right before their menstrual periods? I get a severe flare up 3 days prior regardless of what I have eaten. I have been gluten free since February with some goof ups(unintentional) The medical college where I was diagnosed said that DH can be flared up with hormones. Has anyone else heard this? I am getting very discouraged and ready to stop the gluten free diet.

Tracie

Copyright © The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community. All rights reserved.