The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community

The DH Online Community Forum

This message board is now read-only and has been superseded by the new forums which can be found here.

The DH Online Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dapsone while nursing

Help, I have celiac and DH. I have beeb gluten free for 2 years and off Dapsone for over 1 year. I recently had a baby but while in the hospital I was given food containing gluten. I now have DH symptoms that are so severe that I can't sleep (the itching and pain is unbearable). I have been getting conflicting info on whether or not I can take 25mgs of Dapsone on a 1 time basis to help. My MD isn't that familiar with Dapsone. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

Re: dapsone while nursing

Hi

Sorry to hear of your problem.

Dapsone is a pretty serious antibiotic, so caution is wise before taking it - mainly for your own health. Since you are in pain, what I think is right is for your GP / MD to let you take a moderate dose of dapsone (annie can tell you typical doses) - BUT you must have a regular series of blood tests to check for anaemia. If that happens then you may need to switch to other sulphur based antibiotics, if not then suffer without it.

If you have dapsone then I would stronly advise bottle feeding your baby because I think there is a possibility of dapsone affecting your milk - and therefore your baby may develop some response to it, such as anaemia/dapsone syndrome - which of course you dont want.

In the mean time try "Eurax" cream - which I found releaves the itching for a couple of hours at a time. In most countries it seems to be available without prescrition. Remember of course to be extremely strict with your GF diet. Try to cook for yourself naturally gluten free foods from base (unprocessed) foods.

Hope that helps.

Rob.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Help, I have celiac and DH. I have beeb gluten free for 2 years and off Dapsone for over 1 year. I recently had a baby but while in the hospital I was given food containing gluten. I now have DH symptoms that are so severe that I can't sleep (the itching and pain is unbearable). I have been getting conflicting info on whether or not I can take 25mgs of Dapsone on a 1 time basis to help. My MD isn't that familiar with Dapsone. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

Re: Re: dapsone while nursing

You're right about the breast-feeding, Rob. Here's a quote from MedlinePlus about it.

"Breast-feeding—Dapsone passes into the breast milk. Dapsone may cause blood problems in nursing babies with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency. Breast-feeding may need to be stopped because of the risks to the baby."

See this FAQ about the drug dosage to keep the rash under control.

Annie

Replying to:

Hi

Sorry to hear of your problem.

Dapsone is a pretty serious antibiotic, so caution is wise before taking it - mainly for your own health. Since you are in pain, what I think is right is for your GP / MD to let you take a moderate dose of dapsone (annie can tell you typical doses) - BUT you must have a regular series of blood tests to check for anaemia. If that happens then you may need to switch to other sulphur based antibiotics, if not then suffer without it.

If you have dapsone then I would stronly advise bottle feeding your baby because I think there is a possibility of dapsone affecting your milk - and therefore your baby may develop some response to it, such as anaemia/dapsone syndrome - which of course you dont want.

In the mean time try "Eurax" cream - which I found releaves the itching for a couple of hours at a time. In most countries it seems to be available without prescrition. Remember of course to be extremely strict with your GF diet. Try to cook for yourself naturally gluten free foods from base (unprocessed) foods.

Hope that helps.

Rob.

Replying to:

Copyright © The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community. All rights reserved.