The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community

The DH Online Community Forum

This message board is now read-only and has been superseded by the new forums which can be found here.

The DH Online Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: scalp problems

Kim,

I forgot to mention whether there are any family members with related conditions. These include autoimmune thyroid disease, insulin dependent diabetes, osteoporosis, pernicious anaemia... Read more at Celiac.com

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Kim,

Firstly, I would have to say that DH is relatively rare but that's not to say that you aren't one of the unlucky ones to have it. A first step would be to ask your GP if she will perform blood tests for coeliac disease. If they are positive, then you're well on the way to a diagnosis. If they are negative this still doesn't rule out CD/DH as most DH sufferers have only a mild form of coeliac disease.

There is a specialized skin test which can be done to diagnose DH and it's pretty conclusive if it comes back positive. You will need to make sure that the doctor and laboratory know how to test for it.

Most DH patients, as far as I'm aware, don't experience infections in the spots but this could be feasible. You mentioned that your first appeared during your pregnancy. Hormonal changes can sometimes be the trigger for DH.

I have always suffered with bloatedness and constipation but, as I'm on a gluten-free diet, the CD isn't the cause. My doctors are now calling these symptoms IBS but this is, as far as I can tell, a separate issue. Of course it is possible to have more than one complaint and it may be that, if you do have CD, your symptoms might improve on a gf diet.

I hope this helps. Do keep us informed about how you get on.

Annie

Replying to:

I have had a scalp problem since last Autumn and my doctor does not know what it is. I have had itchy, painful lumps that if I scratch and I have to, become very sore 'craters'. I have had infection in them in the past and at the moment my nails are constantly raking my scalp. I have seen a dermatologist who is ruling out lice and flea bites (from pets). I have used creams and shampoo which have limited effect. I first had problems about 7 years ago when I was pregnant and had tiny blisters appearing on my legs. When scratched these became sores. After a long time they healed leaving purple scars. Recently I have had these itchy bumps/blisters on my arms, bottom and stomach. The ones on my stomach were around my tummy button which became infected. The scabs that form start off being very 'spongy' and then very hard and scaly. At the moment I am off sick from work as the flare up makes me feel unwell and the glands at the base of my head and neck come up. A GP suggested it may be DH although my regular GP is sceptical as she says I have had no bowel problems. In the past I have had IBS symptoms and bloatedness, very bad tummy ache before emptying my bowels. Does anyone have any ideas?

Re: Re: Re: scalp problems

Annie, thank you for your information. One of my Dads brothers was IDDM and my dad was being tested but he had a massive stroke and died age 51. My mums youngest brother has a bone marrow problem I think it means his white cells are low. I have a rare kidney disease which apparently is an auto-immune disease. My sister has had problems with IBS, not sure of anything else

Replying to:

Kim,

I forgot to mention whether there are any family members with related conditions. These include autoimmune thyroid disease, insulin dependent diabetes, osteoporosis, pernicious anaemia... Read more at Celiac.com

Replying to:

Hi Kim,

Firstly, I would have to say that DH is relatively rare but that's not to say that you aren't one of the unlucky ones to have it. A first step would be to ask your GP if she will perform blood tests for coeliac disease. If they are positive, then you're well on the way to a diagnosis. If they are negative this still doesn't rule out CD/DH as most DH sufferers have only a mild form of coeliac disease.

There is a specialized skin test which can be done to diagnose DH and it's pretty conclusive if it comes back positive. You will need to make sure that the doctor and laboratory know how to test for it.

Most DH patients, as far as I'm aware, don't experience infections in the spots but this could be feasible. You mentioned that your first appeared during your pregnancy. Hormonal changes can sometimes be the trigger for DH.

I have always suffered with bloatedness and constipation but, as I'm on a gluten-free diet, the CD isn't the cause. My doctors are now calling these symptoms IBS but this is, as far as I can tell, a separate issue. Of course it is possible to have more than one complaint and it may be that, if you do have CD, your symptoms might improve on a gf diet.

Annie

Replying to:

I have had a scalp problem since last Autumn and my doctor does not know what it is. I have had itchy, painful lumps that if I scratch and I have to, become very sore 'craters'. I have had infection in them in the past and at the moment my nails are constantly raking my scalp. I have seen a dermatologist who is ruling out lice and flea bites (from pets). I have used creams and shampoo which have limited effect. I first had problems about 7 years ago when I was pregnant and had tiny blisters appearing on my legs. When scratched these became sores. After a long time they healed leaving purple scars. Recently I have had these itchy bumps/blisters on my arms, bottom and stomach. The ones on my stomach were around my tummy button which became infected. The scabs that form start off being very 'spongy' and then very hard and scaly. At the moment I am off sick from work as the flare up makes me feel unwell and the glands at the base of my head and neck come up. A GP suggested it may be DH although my regular GP is sceptical as she says I have had no bowel problems. In the past I have had IBS symptoms and bloatedness, very bad tummy ache before emptying my bowels. Does anyone have any ideas?

Re: Re: Re: Re: scalp problems

Kim

DH (or Celiac Disease for that matter) can be misdiagnosed as IBS. Like Annie said, have your doctor do some tests. Occasionally I get the DH rash on my scalp (around the hair line). I had a permanent scab at one time (prior to diagnosis) because of all the itching I was doing. I was diagnosed with DH 2-3 years ago and take Dapsone which has been a wonderful medication for me.

Take care and hope you get relief soon!

Amy

Replying to:

Annie, thank you for your information. One of my Dads brothers was IDDM and my dad was being tested but he had a massive stroke and died age 51. My mums youngest brother has a bone marrow problem I think it means his white cells are low. I have a rare kidney disease which apparently is an auto-immune disease. My sister has had problems with IBS, not sure of anything else

Replying to:

Kim,

Replying to:

Hi Kim,

Annie

Replying to:

Copyright © The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community. All rights reserved.