The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community

The DH Online Community Forum

This message board is now read-only and has been superseded by the new forums which can be found here.

The DH Online Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: DH and vaccinations

hi Annie and Lana,I was given ameningitis injection this year but the nurse told me that there are three and that I have protection against only one strain of the disease.I have had pneumonia twice but do not know if this makes me more resistant against catchin it again or not? although it made me feel terrible at the time i am still alive i abslutely coughed like mad not at all pleasant and i would hate to get it again.Susie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hello Lana,

I know that people with coeliac disease are recommended to have the pneumovax vaccination. I asked my doctor for this a couple of weeks ago and had my jab shortly after. My arm hurt for a few days but that was all.

Here are some excerpts from some web pages which you might find useful.

"a href="http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/exp/exp95-3.html" target="_blank">http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/exp/exp95-3.html

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 12:20:52 -0500

Name: "J. Murray" (jomurray@BLUE.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU)

Subject: Re: CELIAC Disease and vaccinations5

I would not regard most people with celiac disease as immunocompromised in the sense that people with AIDS or on chemotherapy or transplant patients would be considered immunocompromised, So having someone with uncomplicated celiac disease in the household is not a contraindication for a child to get routine vaccinations even with live attenuated viruses. The immune defect if it is present with regard to resistance to infections is a reflection of hyposplenism and that sems to predispose to bacterial infections such as pneummoccal infection. Pneumovax may be a good idea for older celiacs who have some evidence of hyposplenism (seen on blood smear examination). There may be special circumstances in which celiac disease may cause more

severe immune depression such as severe malnutrition or lymphoma. In this situation the live viral vaccinations may need to be avoided in household contacts.

Joe Murray

Univ Of Iowa

http://www.juvela.co.uk/nc/pcsg/followup.htm

Some degree of splenic atrophy is present in most patients with coeliac disease, and is

sufficiently severe to cause peripheral blood changes in about a quarter. Patients should be

considered for:

• Vaccination against pneumococcus and Haemophilus influenzae type b.

• Vaccination against influenza.

• Guidance about the increased risks attached to tropical infections e.g. malaria.

• Life long prophylactic antibiotics are not recommended.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I had a DH when I was 1 1/2 years old and since then, I have no symptoms (I am 31 now). But since then, I did not receive any vaccinations, I don't know why. I wonder why, and whether everyone else is in the same situation. I am applying to the college and they ask for the vaccination list. The doctor said the DH is not "an obstacle for vaccinatons", and I wonder if anyone had any vaccinations after they got sick. Is it safe to get vaccinated now? Thank you for any help! Lana

Copyright © The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community. All rights reserved.