The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community

The DH Online Community Forum

This message board is now read-only and has been superseded by the new forums which can be found here.

The DH Online Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DH - rash worsens

Hi Becky

Firstly I want to say that I also was diagnosed with DH and CD at 40 ( earlier this year),and indeed have also found it difficult to adapt to a gluten free diet.

However 250mg of Dapsone daily sounds like quite a lot to be taking considering the risk of side effects at higher doses and the best and safest way to reduce the rash is to strictly follow your diet. I started on 100mg daily and now after removing gluten completely from my diet for over 4 months am only taking 50mg every other day.

Are you aware that any gluten eaten will also be damaging your small intestine and causing other health problems? I had felt tired and unwell for several years before my diagnosis and have found that my general health has improved enormously along with my skin condition.

So what I am trying to say is that although the diet is difficult to maintain strictly, the effort involved is worth every minute.

Regards

Alan

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am new to this site. I was diagnosed with DH about 3 years ago. Had been taking dapsone with good success until about 1 year ago - my rash has worsened, I have it all on my legs and chest. the itch is so intense I have been ripping at my skin sure to be scaring, steroids do not work. The doctor has been readily increasing my dapsone from 50 to now 250 daily and has me taking tetracycline also. I try to stick to the gluten free diet but getting this diagnosis at 40 has not been easy. Is there any hope for relief?

Becky

Re: Re: DH - rash worsens

Hi..

I have had DH for some time now and never discovered what it was about 2 years ago. after diagnosed what it was i was put on every med there was to help me till the last one available was SULFAPYRIDINE 500MG, its an old med but its the only one i can take that dont make my blood enzymes sky rocket. I never took any meds till i was diagnosed of it and when i started taken dapsone it cleared completely and i felt like a new person, happy to be rash free my enzymes were too high to take any more. when i stopped taken them my rash came back like no other. i was fealing like i was being attacked by ants. i was up all night and nothing would make it go away till i started taken the sulfapyridine 2 times a day. within a week the pain was over and my next step was the diet. i have not stuck with the diet completely but im working on doing so. its like a totally diferent way of eating. it is the only answer to our cure and if we dont do it it will cause other harm to our body we dont need..alot of things we eat that we think dont have gluten in it have it in it. the health food stores in your local area are the best places to buy the gluten free food..or online you can always find it. i hope you work it out and try to stay away from gluten. you have to stay off it completely for at least 6 months till the rash completely goes away..at least thats my own findings..i've been rash free and itch free for over a year with no problems..knock on wood..but you have to stop taken the pills one day so thats my next goal..good luck i hope you work it out..

Rob C. from Florida.

Replying to:

Hi Becky

Firstly I want to say that I also was diagnosed with DH and CD at 40 ( earlier this year),and indeed have also found it difficult to adapt to a gluten free diet.

However 250mg of Dapsone daily sounds like quite a lot to be taking considering the risk of side effects at higher doses and the best and safest way to reduce the rash is to strictly follow your diet. I started on 100mg daily and now after removing gluten completely from my diet for over 4 months am only taking 50mg every other day.

Are you aware that any gluten eaten will also be damaging your small intestine and causing other health problems? I had felt tired and unwell for several years before my diagnosis and have found that my general health has improved enormously along with my skin condition.

So what I am trying to say is that although the diet is difficult to maintain strictly, the effort involved is worth every minute.

Regards

Alan

Replying to:

I am new to this site. I was diagnosed with DH about 3 years ago. Had been taking dapsone with good success until about 1 year ago - my rash has worsened, I have it all on my legs and chest. the itch is so intense I have been ripping at my skin sure to be scaring, steroids do not work. The doctor has been readily increasing my dapsone from 50 to now 250 daily and has me taking tetracycline also. I try to stick to the gluten free diet but getting this diagnosis at 40 has not been easy. Is there any hope for relief?

Becky

Re: Re: DH - rash worsens

Alan

thanks for writing back. I guess I was in denial for a couple years on the seriousness of DH. I am becoming more aware of other health problems from gluten. I am going to do my best to stick to the gulten free diet - not having a beer every once in a while is going to be tough though. I hope to be able to bring the Dapsone back down once I start to clear up.

Thanks

Becky

Replying to:

Hi Becky

Regards

Alan

Replying to:

Becky

Copyright © The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community. All rights reserved.