The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community

The DH Online Community Forum

This message board is now read-only and has been superseded by the new forums which can be found here.

The DH Online Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gluten free foodsre Juvela

Hi Annie thankyou,That has put my mind at rest.I remember now too that my gp said some coeliacs are better on the breads that contain no wheat starch hmm may be I am best sticking to my dietary specials.They seem to agree with me better also my schar items.I do seem to have more energy when on these items and also when I remember to take a multivitamin tablet.I was adviced to do this long ago after bowel surgery and you would be surprised how much stronger they can make you feel.I am careful to make sure they are gluten free.It is also good for coeliacs if they still feel under the weather.thankyou for all your help Annie you are a God send to us all and I really do appreciate all your help to us all,I feel I have been very blessed to find help from this group and have gained ideas from others here too about how to cope,but I am especially grateful to you because you have helped me through a tererible time and now my rash is much less since taking the tablests and being strictly gluten free.Susie.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Well Susie,

Here are a couple of replies from some of my coeliac friends on the gluten-free message board:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This relates to the fact that Codex A wheat starch (as in Juvela products) is seen as safe for coeliacs (and DHers) in UK & other countries including EU even though it may contain a very tiny portion of gluten because this amount is so small it causes no damage.

In certain countries, eg USA, the medical authorities mainly think coeliacs should not eat Codex A wheat starch because originally it came from wheat- a gluten-containing grain.

When I first saw this item/ scare re Juvela I asked Food Standards Agency who said it was because Codex A is considered OK for coeliacs in EC but not in some other countries.

Research shows no harm is done to coeliacs if Codex A wheat starch is eaten & patients are following GFD, so Juvela is safe for coeliacs - don't think it would be on NHS prescriptions otherwise.

I think the problem Annie is that under the codex rule? wheat startch that has had the gluten removed still contains a small amount of gluten?

Well I've never experienced any probs with g.f. wheatstarch! and I believe thats because the gluten is water solluble and whats left has been partially broken down and there fore no longer affects us? also Millet is believed to contain approx 20ppm of gluten? it's all down to how gluten free is gluten free? and hence the malt problem.

In the USA the Juvella g.f. wheat starch flour is called low gluten ie under 20ppm.and malt is forbidden.

Also because soya is so high in protein a lot of people can't tolerate it.

I hope that this is of use to you Annie/Susie.

Try this link for more on the Codex Alimentarius Standard

Celiac.com

Annie

Replying to:

Hi again,i have just been to the ASK JEEVES and asked about the JUVEA Gluten Alert In Three of it's bread mixes.I found itwww.inspection.gc/english/whatsnew2001eshtml.I do not know if they are now gluten free or not.Well all I can say is I may go back to other gluten free foods.I do know that rite diet would e ok because there is a coeliac and husband involved in making rite diet products.Sorry to bring up worrying news but I would not like to be eating gluten so sorry Juvela if you can not put my mind at rest no way will I be eating your mixes etc. Hope someone can find out or reassure me and all other coeliacs whether Juvela is safe or not? Susie

Replying to:

Hi Annie,Thankyou for your reply,All I know is I was doing a search for Juvela gluten free foods and it came up with alist of gluten free foods one of which concerned Juvela products in Canada.The trouble is I was recently given the foods where the warning was for a low protein flour mix and the Juvela Fibre mix which has scared me because i have had both very recently and as I continue to feel weary and weedy I wondered if this contamination is only in Canada or are weall being fed gluten?It is abit rich if we can not rely on our prescriptions to be gluten free? If this is the case no wonder i still feel sick!.I will do my best to find outas I would think they are allsafe in Britain from the Liverpool Juvela supplies?I intend to find out.It is hard to do gluten free without this sort of scare,it has put me right off.I am back to eating rice cakes and think I will try and change my prescription to Schar andDS Specials. Susie

Replying to:

Susie,

I haven't heard anything about this but I've posted the message on another board which I frequently use so I'm hoping someone might come up with something.

Can you point us in the direction of the web address where you got this information from please?

Replying to:

Hi Annie and everyone, I am a bit worried no very worried abouy my Juvela prescription being really safe and gluten free as I have just read aboutit on Yahoo that it was not safe? does anyone else know if it is safe in britain? There was a warning alergy allert contains gluten.Now I am worried about my prescription.If you can suggest some other foods for my prescription, I am allergic also to soya. Susie.

Copyright © The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community. All rights reserved.