The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community

The DH Online Community Forum

This message board is now read-only and has been superseded by the new forums which can be found here.

The DH Online Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DH under the arms?

Hello Everyone,

I have Celiacs Disease and I was wondering if I may also have DH. I have had these itchy rashy bumps on my armpits for maybe a little over 2 years now and they come and go. I noticed that now that I eat GF, they seem to go away. But I accidentally ate gluten the other day and the rash is back in full force. They are bloody and are mostly on my armpits, but the bumps taper down the side of my body. If this is DH, does that mean I just keep avoiding gluten in what I eat because that is what is doing it, or does that mean I have to quit using products and touching things with gluten as well? I hope someone can answer my question.

Lilian Marie

Re: DH under the arms?

Lilian

Sorry to hear of your problem. The symptoms you describe unfortunately dont sound 100% like classic DH, mainly because you say they are only "under your armpits", but I think do sound like an immune response to something. (It may still be CD related however.) I may be wrong here, guessing a little, but a larger bump under your armpit might be a lymph gland swollen - and your lymph system is where much of your immune system is based.

If you really suspect that it might be DH, then please read the diagnosis FAQ of annie's on this site.

Classic DH is a phenominally itch rash - more than you can stand and still be sane. For me, I didnt sleep for 3 months. It tends to be numberous small red itchy spots grouped together, typically on your elbows, back, and other places. These red spots litterally painfully erupt through the skin producing white fluid which seems to disolve the skin a bit. They take several weeks to heal, and they leave a characteristic purple mark after heeling which takes months, even years to fade.

Note that DH sufferers can still handle wheat etc. without harm, so long as they dont eat it. DH is an outward response/symptom of the immune response generated inside your small intestine.

You say you have CD. Well you should be totally avoiding eating anything with gluten in it full stop. For your own sake dont cheat - you run a SMALL increased risk of bowl cancers doing that.

Hope that helps. Keep up the GF diet.

Rob A.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hello Everyone,

I have Celiacs Disease and I was wondering if I may also have DH. I have had these itchy rashy bumps on my armpits for maybe a little over 2 years now and they come and go. I noticed that now that I eat GF, they seem to go away. But I accidentally ate gluten the other day and the rash is back in full force. They are bloody and are mostly on my armpits, but the bumps taper down the side of my body. If this is DH, does that mean I just keep avoiding gluten in what I eat because that is what is doing it, or does that mean I have to quit using products and touching things with gluten as well? I hope someone can answer my question.

Lilian Marie

Re: Re: DH under the arms?

Hello,

I was looking at the pictures of DH with my mom and she said that what I have sort of looks like it, but that it is probably something else that is aggrivated by gluten. By bumps are itchy and do have white fluid in them and do leave scars so I have no idea what they are. Thanks for your advice though= )

Lilian Marie

Re: Re: Re: DH under the arms?

Hi

The symptoms you just said, itchy, white fluid with scars does not fit in with DH. However, you say that they are only under your armpits - DH usually is elsewhere - but it can be anywhere - so dont count it out. Try and get them biopsied.

Rob.

Rob

Replying to:

Hello,

I was looking at the pictures of DH with my mom and she said that what I have sort of looks like it, but that it is probably something else that is aggrivated by gluten. By bumps are itchy and do have white fluid in them and do leave scars so I have no idea what they are. Thanks for your advice though= )

Lilian Marie

Re: Re: Re: Re: DH under the arms?

Hi

Sorry, sorry, the message should read... typo

The symptoms you just said, itchy, white fluid with scars DOES fit in with DH. However, you say that they are only under your armpits - DH usually is elsewhere - but it can be anywhere - so dont count it out completely. Try and get them biopsied.

Rob.

Replying to:

Hi

The symptoms you just said, itchy, white fluid with scars does not fit in with DH. However, you say that they are only under your armpits - DH usually is elsewhere - but it can be anywhere - so dont count it out. Try and get them biopsied.

Rob.

Rob

Replying to:

Hello,

Lilian Marie

Re: DH under the arms? [nt]

Replying to:

Hello Everyone,

Lilian Marie

Re: DH under the arms?

I have DH for 13 years and the first place my rash comes back if I miss my dapsone is under the arms and on my elbows. The big sign is the rash is very symmetric.

Replying to:

Hello Everyone,

Lilian Marie

Copyright © The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community. All rights reserved.