The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community

The DH Online Community Forum

This message board is now read-only and has been superseded by the new forums which can be found here.

The DH Online Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help

My father, who has DH, finds Vagisil helpful in relieving the itch. The manufacturer says it is gluten-free.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hello again Tom,

I know how difficult it is to 'tell' the 'experts' what you think you may have but I do know there are some people using this forum who have got a dignosis by doing just that. Not all dermatologists are up on DH - some won't have ever seen a case before.

Of course, it might not be DH that you have. What I would do is listen to what the derm suggests and mention DH as an aside, especially if he/she seems a little cagey. After all, your GP has already suspected it so I think you'd be quite fair in bringing it up. Many doctors are pleased to see interested and informed patients.

Rob Alcock, on here, has used Eurax cream in the past. It doesn't take the rash away but he said that he did manage to get a couple of hours sleep at night using it. Keeping the skin cool (difficult in this weather) helps - cold, wet flannels, etc. If you are diagnosed with DH, there's a very efficient drug called dapsone which clears the rash up within days. There are side effects with this so you would need regular blood tests if you take it. Sulphapyridine is another alternative. I have taken sulphamethoxypyridazine (Lederkyn) in the past but was only able to obtain it through my hospital in London.

I hope you had a happy birthday. June 8th was my dad'a 70th this year. I was born just over an hour past his birthday so it's always a bit of a double celebration.

Take care.

Annie

Replying to:

Thanks Annie

I will take your advice I have been back to docs today and he has informed me the Dermatologist will see me this week sometime, I will take as much info as I dare , I feel a bit uncomfortable telling them what I think it might be, have you any ideas on stopping this itching in the meantime as its unbearable in the night, oh by the way I was born June 8 1963 so happy 40th,

Thank again

Tom

Replying to:

Hi Tom,

Why not get the 'What is DH?' article sent to your email address and take it along to your doctor/dermatologist. It has plenty of information about DH, diagnosis and treatment. Hopefully the dermatologist will know DH but it doesn't hurt to have some info in reserve. If nothing else, it shows that you're a patient who's interested in his personal health and this can only be a good thing.

Let us know how you get on.

Annie

Replying to:

Hi Rob

Thanks for the info I will go back tomorrow and see him, the itching is unbearable, I have tried antihystamines, e45, and all other thngs doctor prescribed antibiotics, nothing has touched it, in fact mt arms and body are becoming covered in small spots which then seem to clunp together, elbows are a mess.

thanks again

Tom

Replying to:

Hi Tom

Read annie's web page advice on diagnosis.

Get your GP to do a blood test for coeliac disease first.

Rob.

Replying to:

I have had a skin prob for 2 months and been diagnosed everything but DH, went to quacks again, sick of itching, its on elbows,shoulders, inside legs, and back, small spots at first but on shoulder large clumps of it, doc looked in book and found DH i go to dermatologist next week, bit scared of finding out now I have read all the bumph, any advice would help, I am sure its DH, TOM

Copyright © The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community. All rights reserved.