The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community

The DH Online Community Forum

This message board is now read-only and has been superseded by the new forums which can be found here.

The DH Online Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Could this be DH?

I've been getting a rash on the middle finger of each hand 3-4 times per year for the last 5 years or so. I finally wen to the dr who though it might be contact dermatitus. I've been reading about CD when I found info about DH. I find it interesting that I get this rash on the exact same spot on each hand and no where else. It is extremely itchy and looks like a cluster of water blisters. They eventually burst because I scratch so much and once they heal over I get a crust and then a dark patch of thick skin. Also, over the past year I've been finding that I get gas, bloating and stomach upset when I eat foods such as pasta which I never thought could be related to the rash. Sorry if I'm totally naive here- this is the first I've ever heard of DH and I really have no idea if this could possibly be my problem. Don't want to bother my dr. with this if I'm totally out to lunch. Any input anyone has, particularly anyone who gets DH on their hands, would be very helpful.

Re: Could this be DH?

Yes, it sounds like you may have DH especially since you've noticed issues after eating pasta. Think about other foods you have eaten...cakes, cookies, pizza, etc. Do you have the same symptoms from those also? I have been suffering from DH for 2-3 years now and take Dapsone (keeps the rash away). My dermatologist is the one who diagnosed it. She took a biopsy of one of the blisters (has to be the blister before it breaks). NEVER, ever worry about "bothering" your doctor. That is what they are there for. Don't hesitate in making an appointment. They probably won't have heard of DH though so you might have to bring it up in regards to Celiac Disease. Bring to the doctors the reasons why you think you may have this. Good luck to you and may you find relief soon! - Amy PS: I get clusters of water blistsers all over my hands, elbows, knees, scalp and nose and like you, the itching does not go away until the blister is broken.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I've been getting a rash on the middle finger of each hand 3-4 times per year for the last 5 years or so. I finally wen to the dr who though it might be contact dermatitus. I've been reading about CD when I found info about DH. I find it interesting that I get this rash on the exact same spot on each hand and no where else. It is extremely itchy and looks like a cluster of water blisters. They eventually burst because I scratch so much and once they heal over I get a crust and then a dark patch of thick skin. Also, over the past year I've been finding that I get gas, bloating and stomach upset when I eat foods such as pasta which I never thought could be related to the rash. Sorry if I'm totally naive here- this is the first I've ever heard of DH and I really have no idea if this could possibly be my problem. Don't want to bother my dr. with this if I'm totally out to lunch. Any input anyone has, particularly anyone who gets DH on their hands, would be very helpful.

Copyright © The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community. All rights reserved.