The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community

The DH Online Community Forum

This message board is now read-only and has been superseded by the new forums which can be found here.

The DH Online Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: medication

Thanks for the info about Dapsone. I thought it probably wasn't safe, but wasn't sure. I'll just wait on the medication and try to keep all gluten out of my system.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Found the following extracts online:

1. "Breastfeeding is NOT recommended if you are taking dapsone as adverse effects such as hemolytic anemia may appear in the baby. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, please discuss this with your doctor."

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:fxQVXTfaLBYJ:www.tthhivclinic.com/FactSheets/pdf/DAPSONE.pdf+dapsone+breastfeeding&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

2. "Some cases of hemolytic anemia have occurred in mothers and their offspring after exposure to dapsone, both during gestation and during lactation (8,13). In these cases, the anemias resolved once dapsone exposure was discontinued and no long term effects were observed!"

"http://www.essentialdrugs.org/indices/archive/200107/msg00019.php

Other sites were not very specific about dapsone whilst breastfeeding, but the general advice is "Not recommended"

Tom

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi! I have been diagnosed with DH since 2000 but I haven't taken any medication for it mainly because my husband and I wanted to start a family. We now have 2 boys and my breakouts from DH are horrible. However, when pregnant my skin was very clear and it didn't seem to matter what I ate. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew if the medication Dapsone is safe to take while nursing an infant. I'm pretty sure that the doctors here don't know so I'm looking for my own answers. Even if I do my best to stay on a GF diet I still get breakouts - probably from hidden glutens. If anyone has any information, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Copyright © The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community. All rights reserved.