The Dermatitis Herpetiformis Online Community

The DH Online Community Forum

This message board is now read-only and has been superseded by the new forums which can be found here.

The DH Online Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
stinging and itching all over
Hi I am doing the gluten free diet as far as i can properly but I still itch badly even on areas where the spots have not yet appeared.I am rather upset that after saying i have D.H. the hospital thought itwas another rash they have taken me off my tablets which i mi...
Views: 534   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 17, 2003 8:41pm
by Susie Porter
j
John
Time to be symptom free
I'm DH. Once I go Gluten-free how long does it take to become symptom free of the rashes? Thanks John
Views: 417   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 17, 2003 8:17pm
by Alan
d
Duffy
Sun Tan Lotion
Does anyone know of a sun tan/sun block that does not contain gluten/ie safe for those that have DH
Views: 437   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 17, 2003 7:59pm
by Alan
IMPORTANT - This web site will be undergoing changes
Due to the changes that Bravenet have recently made, I have purchased hosting and will be moving the web site to it's current domain name of http://www.dermatitisherpetiformis.org.uk. This means that if you are still accessing the site through www.dhcondition.plus...
Views: 420   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 16, 2003 2:33pm
by Annie / Administ...
k
Krissy
DH on fingers?
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease many years ago, but not until my 20s did I get blister-like, fluid filled bumps on the sides of my fingers (usually the sides toward the thumb of my 2nd and 3rd fingers). I would itch them until the clear fluid escapes, then they...
Views: 439   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 16, 2003 3:37am
by Amy
t
Tracie
Question for everyone
Hi, I read an article online-I think by doctor Zone. It stated that MOST of the time that DH is caused by gluten sensitivity. Is there anything else BESIDES gluten that is known to cause this rash and the results on immunoflorescent biopsy? Thanks! Tracie
Views: 156   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 15, 2003 8:12pm
by NIKKI
a
Annie
Gluten-free beer in Canada
For those living in Canada, you might like to know of a gluten-free beer that is now available. Read about it here: La Messagère
Views: 473   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 14, 2003 10:45am
by Annie
b
Bernie
Dermatitis Hherpetiformis
Can anyone tell me of a medicine that is a substitute for dapsone. I live in The Yukon Canada and the drug is unavailable here, and I have been told that the drug co.s no longer manufacture it because of decreased demand. Any help would be apprecia...
Views: 549   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 13, 2003 7:35pm
by Matt Lorenzi
Links Xtra Updated
The Links Xtra page has now been reformatted and moved across to my web space. New submissions can be made by completing the online form at the bottom of the page.Links XtraAnnie
Views: 504   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 12, 2003 11:53pm
by Annie / Administ...
a
Annie
Photo Library - keeping you up-to-date
I've reorganized the photo library. It now consists of static pages lodged in my usual web space rather than with Bravenet.Submissions will have to be emailed to me from now on, rather than uploaded online but, apart from that, I think the pages are an improvement.Ch...
Views: 491   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 12, 2003 6:43am
by Annie
Bravenet changes
Hi, Bravenet, in their wisdom, have decided to play around with the services and I've spent the past couple of days trying to sort out the mess.Anyway, could someone using Netscape Navigator version 6 please tell me if this forum and the guestbook look OK in their br...
Views: 389   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 11, 2003 3:56am
by Annie / Admin
e
Erin
Sunburn Creams work well
I wanted to pass along a great discovery I made for OTC topical relief for rashes - sunburn / burn cream / spray with benzocaine or lidocaine. It works much, much, better than any kind of steroids and I usually apply it around 2 times / day. My favorites have been...
Views: 499   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 6, 2003 12:52pm
by Erin
t
Teresa
medication
Hi! I have been diagnosed with DH since 2000 but I haven't taken any medication for it mainly because my husband and I wanted to start a family. We now have 2 boys and my breakouts from DH are horrible. However, when pregnant my skin was very clear and it didn't seem...
Views: 516   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 29, 2003 6:32am
by Teresa
l
Leo
DH
hi... patient has been having rashes for 1 month. had other symptoms like fever and body aches. dr said it's not herpes but might be bacteria. after taking medication, rashes still persist. dr has taken bld sample for other test but at the meantime said it might be D...
Views: 481   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 25, 2003 8:17pm
by Leo
s
sharon
dh and multivitamin
I was recently diagnosed with DH. Last week someone suggested I avoid iodine. Does anyone know of a multi vitamin which is gluten and iodine free.
Views: 487   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 25, 2003 1:00pm
by sharon
s
Suzie
Could this be DH?
I've been getting a rash on the middle finger of each hand 3-4 times per year for the last 5 years or so. I finally wen to the dr who though it might be contact dermatitus. I've been reading about CD when I found info about DH. I find it interesting that I get this r...
Views: 506   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 25, 2003 11:42am
by Suzie
m
MF
Info request
My father has DH. He is in his mid 80's. He takes dapsone and maintains as gluten-free diet as possible. However, he is currently experiencing a flare-up of the itchy blisters. Any ideas about what causes these flare-ups??
Views: 399   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 23, 2003 5:18pm
by MF
DH photos wanted!
If you have been diagnosed with DH by a medical professional and have any photographs of the rash, which you don't mind sharing, I'd very much welcome them for the Photo Library. Be assured that your personal details will remain confidential. Photo Library Th...
Views: 462   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 23, 2003 2:25am
by Annie / Admin
New Mini Poll Question - Please Vote
The new poll question is: "DH sufferers, do you feel the need to avoid toiletries, cosmetics, etc. containing gluten?" This is an interesting one of which I'm not sure how the vote will go. The medical science says that this shouldn't be an issue but many peo...
Views: 439   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 23, 2003 2:07am
by Annie / Admin
No Subject
hi has any one else ever had an EEG.I have to go for one because i suffer from black outs not very often but i still get them and it is not a nice experience.i have nearly got killed once because I blacked out crossing the road.I had to have abridge as I had knocked...
Views: 483   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 22, 2003 11:31am
by Susie Porter'hot...
Help
I have had a skin prob for 2 months and been diagnosed everything but DH, went to quacks again, sick of itching, its on elbows,shoulders, inside legs, and back, small spots at first but on shoulder large clumps of it, doc looked in book and found DH i go to dermatolo...
Views: 117   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 20, 2003 7:15pm
by Tom Uniacke
j
Jenny
No Subject
Hi Can anyone tell me how long after eating gluten would you expect to see DH spots appear, after being GF for a year except one slip up 4 months ago. Jenny
Views: 112   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 20, 2003 5:45am
by Jenny
a
Ann
official dx
So it's official. I do have dh and I am awaiting rx confence results. My GI guy ,as he said, is excited about this because we may finally have a dx. I,to feel happy to know that maybe I have a conclusive dx and possibly a plan for tx. God knows, I can't continue f...
Views: 111   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 16, 2003 7:58pm
by Ann
Another Dapsone Question
One of the side effects listed from taking Dapsone is "nerve Damage" .Evidently, tingling sensation in fingers, hands and legs maybe a symptom of this.Does anyone know whether this is permenant damage and how serious it can get as I am experiencing some "tingling"?
Views: 104   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 16, 2003 12:16pm
by fred hudson
s
Susie.
No Subject
Hi is it just alittle bit of gluten causes a flareup?I am having spos on my back and they really do bleed.i csure have not had hardly any gluten and only eat at home now.So it seems to me I cannot have any gluten at all noteven one tiny morning biscuit.two weeks ago...
Views: 128   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 13, 2003 1:48pm
by Susie.
No Subject
Hi Annie, and everyone I have been trying to find my way through a lot of coeliac digestive problems.Like Annie I also ben told in the past that I have I.B.S. it is possible to have chrones and many other bowel problems as well as bing a coeliac.I still do not have a...
Views: 124   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 12, 2003 9:26am
by Susie Porter'hot...
r
Rob
Big Mistake
Annie At the weekend I made a very big mistake - I mistook a sainsbury organic loaf for a freestyle GF loaf in the freezer and had 7 slices. Packaging almost identical. Thought it tasted to good. (My rule of thumb with GF foods is that if it tastes good - it cant...
Views: 143   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 11, 2003 4:58pm
by Rob
dapsone question
Ok, I just started on dapsone today, 50 mg a day. How long will it take for the DH to start to disappear? I'm also following a GF diet and have been for 5 months now. I sure hope the DH clears up fast
Views: 126   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 11, 2003 12:48pm
by Heather
DH under the arms?
Hello Everyone, I have Celiacs Disease and I was wondering if I may also have DH. I have had these itchy rashy bumps on my armpits for maybe a little over 2 years now and they come and go. I noticed that now that I eat GF, they seem to go away. But I accidentally...
Views: 115   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 11, 2003 10:57am
by Lilian Marie
a
Annie
DH article form working again
It has come to my attention that the form to have the 'What is DH?' article sent by email wasn't working properly. I've updated the autoresponder and all should be OK now. DH article
Views: 97   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 10, 2003 2:12pm
by Annie
Dapsone
My 8yr old daughter who has had a raised patches of red itchy rash all over her body,she also get recurrent skin infection in the form of boils on her un effected skin. Her Doctor has suggested that we try Dapsone as she has lived on antibiotic for the last 4yrs.Can...
Views: 109   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 9, 2003 7:03pm
by A.Mulder
t
traci
Is this DH?
Recently a rash that I had 2 years ago came back. When I first got it I went to 2 dermatologists 4/5 times and they never figured out what I had. All the medications they gave me didn't work, and eventually it went away. It went away, but has come back. I am curr...
Views: 141   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 9, 2003 2:36pm
by traci
b
Becky
Dapsone Syndrome
I have been reading different messages in this website and keeping reading "dapsone Syndrome" can someone tell me what this is? Thanks Becky
Views: 144   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 8, 2003 8:04pm
by Becky
Gluten free foodsre Juvela
Hi Annie and everyone, I am a bit worried no very worried abouy my Juvela prescription being really safe and gluten free as I have just read aboutit on Yahoo that it was not safe? does anyone else know if it is safe in britain? There was a warning alergy allert conta...
Views: 111   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 6, 2003 1:55pm
by Susan Porter
confusedand need help
I need help. For the last 3-4 years, I have had problems with perirectal abscess, diarrhea, and now an incredibly itchy reddened rash. My colon biopsies are negative for Crohns and positive for Collagenous Colitis, a commonality to Celiac disease. My duodenal biop...
Views: 132   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 4, 2003 3:59pm
by Ann Derderian
r
Rob A
Alternative Treatment
Annie I picked up a copy of the consise oxford textbook of medicine at the weekend and read thro the section on DH treatment and came across an old but apparently effective alternative treatment: "Steroid treatment is strangely ineffective and heparin oddly eff...
Views: 132   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 4, 2003 4:52am
by Rob A
b
Becky
DH - rash worsens
I am new to this site. I was diagnosed with DH about 3 years ago. Had been taking dapsone with good success until about 1 year ago - my rash has worsened, I have it all on my legs and chest. the itch is so intense I have been ripping at my skin sure to be scaring,...
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 1, 2003 8:35pm
by Becky
a
Annie
Common Food Sensitivity Linked to Painful Peripheral Neuropathy
Common Food Sensitivity Linked to Painful Peripheral Neuropathy NEW YORK, May 27 /PRNewswire/ -- The Neuropathy Association -- A link between Peripheral Neuropathy and Celiac Disease was reported by physicians at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and...
Views: 102   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 30, 2003 4:18pm
by Annie
a
Annie
Latest Coeliac UK survey - Time to have your say
All you UK DHers, please take the time to complete the latest online survey that Coeliac UK have issued. I've put as the single most important thing that CUK should be doing is more awareness amongst eating establishments and the general public about CD and DH in or...
Last Post: May 30, 2003 3:33am
by Annie
Dapsone and Synthroid
I've been recently diagnosed with DH, and started on Dapsone a few weeks ago. I've also been taking synthroid for a few years for hyperthyroidism. I was fine for a while, very glad that my rash was clearing up. But now I feel ill all the time - tired, cold, dizzy...
Views: 125   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 29, 2003 11:57am
by Lindsey
e
Erin
Rash Relief?
I was diagnosed w/ DH a little over 2 months ago, went on Dapsone immediately afterwards and started a strict gluten-free diet. My doctor took me off Dapsone 2 weeks ago (I developed anemia) and my rashes have returned. Argh! Steroid cream does not help much; I ha...
Views: 117   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 28, 2003 7:23pm
by Erin
l
Lana
DH and vaccinations
I had a DH when I was 1 1/2 years old and since then, I have no symptoms (I am 31 now). But since then, I did not receive any vaccinations, I don't know why. I wonder why, and whether everyone else is in the same situation. I am applying to the college and they ask f...
Last Post: May 28, 2003 5:35am
by Lana
a
Annie
Test to Differentiate Causes of Lactose Intolerance
Prometheus Laboratories Introduces Genetic Test to Differentiate Causes of Lactose Intolerance SAN DIEGO, May 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Prometheus Laboratories Inc. today announced that it is introducing the first genetic test to help physicians identify a specific genet...
Views: 120   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 21, 2003 3:35pm
by Annie
scalp problems
I have had a scalp problem since last Autumn and my doctor does not know what it is. I have had itchy, painful lumps that if I scratch and I have to, become very sore 'craters'. I have had infection in them in the past and at the moment my nails are constantly raking...
Views: 166   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 20, 2003 2:51pm
by Kim Fennell
Official National Coeliac and DH awareness day May 20th
Just to let you all know it's official. National Coeliac and DH awareness day was officially made on the 19th May 2003 for May 20th every year. Here is the new website, because it was only made official yesterday the site is obviously still under construction but n...
Views: 121   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 19, 2003 4:37pm
by Cassie Mealyea
dapsone while nursing
Help, I have celiac and DH. I have beeb gluten free for 2 years and off Dapsone for over 1 year. I recently had a baby but while in the hospital I was given food containing gluten. I now have DH symptoms that are so severe that I can't sleep (the itching and pain is...
Views: 113   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 19, 2003 2:45pm
by Kimberley Short
Views: 133   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 19, 2003 2:40pm
by Anonymous
t
Tracie
Women Only
Hi all, I am wondering if any of the women with DH have flares right before their menstrual periods? I get a severe flare up 3 days prior regardless of what I have eaten. I have been gluten free since February with some goof ups(unintentional) The medical colle...
Views: 144   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 19, 2003 8:00am
by Tracie
Free Forum powered by Bravenet