Return to Website

Tintagelweb Forum

Welcome to a FREE service for the www.tintagelweb.co.uk Web site. Use this page for discussions, questions but please use the page sensibly. ENJOY!!

Tintagelweb Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: King Arthurs Terrace history.

Brian and Lynne,
Who originally owned the land - do you know? In 1901 William JC Balkwill and his wife were living at No.1 and I think he may (although listed as a farmer) have been at Bath House in 1891 and a grocer/draper.
The rest of the tenants will be published on this website soon as I am trying to construct some kind of history for Lynne. I have tried the land register but the info does not go back far enough. The 1887 map does not show the properties and the 1891 Census does not have the terrace, nor the castle hotel listed (the Wootons is the last in the list) so I would suggest they were built later (1891 on), but by whom and for whom?
It is interesting to note that in 1901 most of the tenants or residents consisted of Tintagel people as workers and people of wealth (particularly from abroad such as Canton, the Transvaal and the USA)were boarding there. Such was the pull of the "Tintagel Legend" at that time thanks to Tennyson. No. 2 had two families in residence.
All that in a terrace of 5 houses!
Don't forget to check out the bit about the plane crash in which King Arthur's Terrace features too.
Best wishes,
Sarah.

Re: Re: Re: King Arthurs Terrace history.

Thank to both Brian & Sarah for your help..intrugueing is`nt it..the historical colour comes home to you when you learn about an area & the people in it!
I really laughed at the bit about the builoder putting up a wall, I bet that caused controversy!
No 5 is to be cleaned up somewhat this year, with new windows & a roof, about time...further news later!
Is there any photo`s laying about anywhere with this terrace in it?
I have seen & know about the plane crash, thank Sarah, & thank you for your interest & help.

Re: Re: Re: Re: King Arthurs Terrace history.

Have a look at the Francis Frith Collection on Tintagel - just a few distant pics
You could try the Ellis Collection held by Cornish Studies Library at Redruth - but they would all be 1940s onwards.
Ebay often have picture postcards for sale with unusual views of the village - look at them from time to time.
Some of the old tourist guides may have info for you - again you can find them on ebay if you are interested.
The other possibility is to talk to Norma Nute (formerly Youlton) and see if her Mum still has the photos her father used to take - he had a shop just adjacent to the Terrace.
That's about all I can think of for now. If I find anything else I'll let you know.
Do you own No. 5 then?
Best wishes, Sarah.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: King Arthurs Terrace history.

Thank you Sarah for your help....I will do some further research to see what comes up in the places you recommend...its just that I am curious about the local history of Tintagel, rather than the Arthurian side. I would have liked to see on a phot what the gardens looked like then & maybe get to view any diaries, especially in the late 19th century & early twentieth c.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: King Arthurs Terrace history.

How lovely, we need more people like you in this village. I'll have some additional info sometime soon because I'm going to try and write an article.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: King Arthurs Terrace history.

I think the `essence` of village life is in the heart of its social history...so maybe we could request via a local newspaper or this site (which alas is dependant on viewers)...for past recollections etc.
I was talking to somebody the other day who vaguely remembered a Miss or Misses Weeton (or Weadon/Wheeton?) that lived at The Wootons...so was it not always a public house, comes the next question...I don`t suppose you know?
Also the history of the old folks home at the back of the doctors...places like that can hold a treasure of future informatiion that is worth logging down somewhere before it gets lost!
I must get hold of those `collections` you mention, to look over.
Thank you for your help Sarah it is most appreciated.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: King Arthurs Terrace history.

Don't forget the book of tintagel by Pete Dyer available at visitor centre. Wootons used to be a Doctors surgery.

s