Return to Website

Bravenet GPSA Web Forum

Welcome to the GPSA Political Web Forum. Floor is open to any / all discussions regarding the socio-political situation in the post-apartheid South Africa. Note that your posting will appear immediately.

Bravenet GPSA Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Howzit from Gerryland (no pun intended!)

Howzit fellow SA's,

I've been an avid reader of Gerrie's website for... oh I don't know... a couple of years.

I'm an expat in gerryland (Germany) and enjoy reading up on my home on a daily basis, just to stay informed. For this reason I'm also a daily IOL reader.
There are a couple of wild story's in IOL this morning... jislaaik, there's plenty crazy stuff happening down south!

Its a pity that this site hasn't been updated in a while. Please don't missunderstand my complaint... I know that Gerrie runs the site privately and does it voluntarily, nonetheless its a pity. I enjoy the weekly views and its great to stay informed.

Since Bill's visit, things have slowed down a bit. By the way, I enjoyed his report and felt kinda proud that I'm a genuine south african. (although I'm not really entitled to the honour, being an expat?)

I'm sure Gerrie is lank busy and has plenty other stuff like work that is priority #1. Wouldn't it be great if someone helps the poor dude?

I'm looking forward to the next weekly view. Stay critical and keep up the good work!

keep in touch

SCUBA

Re: Howzit from Gerryland (no pun intended!)

So, I under"ver"stand that you're one of those silent 'regulars' that make me sweat it out on these pages? Great of you to make 'contact' at last!
Yeah, I've been lank busy and must offer an apology for being so lacks (?) the past couple of weeks. But you must understand that NFS Underground is extremely addictive and soooo much more enjoyable with a steering wheel setup!
To be very honest, I get confused with all the "****e" happening here every day! As you find a nice piece something better (rather, make that worse) happens and eventually you end up a total scatterbrain.
Living here also conditions you (over a period of time) that what was totally outrageous a couple of months ago, is part of everyday life today.
Overall though I must say that people are becoming more positive (which is good ja) but as the DA said, the ANC might be running the country, but it's up to the people to make sure they run it well (or something to that effect). The only way to accomplish that is through 'constructive' criticism - which I am slowly adjusting to.

Thanks again for your entry (and the Guestbook) and I promise to do an update on Thursday!
Oh yes, don't you just miss our lovely summers & mild winters? Can't remember? Then it's time you come visit again!

Re: Re: Howzit from Gerryland (no pun intended!)

Howzit Gerrie,

ooops... NFS underground? (sounds like a game?)

Yep, I'm one of those silent 'regulars' that make you sweat, 'cause some like it hot (off the press, straight from the horses mouth with a touch of critisism)

Jaaa, I do believe the crazy things that happen in SA can begin to become 'normal' after some time. I find myself overreading some IOL news, thinking 'oh I've seen that already'.

But then, honestly things are'nt going so great here at the moment as far as politics is concerned either! it looks like the ol' "browns" are back with a vengance and spreading the usual neonazi bull****. The okes that are complaining about foreigners taking away their jobs, are the "idiots" who haven't learnt a trade and would prefer the dole anyway.

You see, the grass is always greener on the other side. Whether the "SPD" or "CDU/CSU" is in power here, makes no difference, everyone complains and wants the opposing party back. But if they both can't get into gear, then the right wingers get their chance... bad news for us here in gerryland.

You bet I miss the summers... braaivleis, biltong, chutney and aquafresh ;-) But there are some cool comparisons here too you know... snow, skiing, oktoberfest, autobahn, kulture and safety. Oh what I'd give to duck to Saudi's or Durbs for the weekend and have a lekker dive. Or throw some 'blitz and charcoal' into the Webber and have a lekker braai with steak, chops and boerewors.

Our last summer was pretty hot too you know, we had our potjie and homemade borewors (not to compare to the real thing) and my ol' lady really knows how to cook up a great boeboetie and malva pudding. To top it all, my son was born this summer! He's a sturdy chap and will surely follow in pa's footsteps. As soon as he's old enough to see the world, I'll be taking him and the little lady to see my home.

O'raait boet, I've got plenty work myself

see ya

SCUBA

Re: Re: Re: Howzit from Gerryland (no pun intended!)

Hi Boet SCUBA!
Just noticed your message above, re. my comments in the aftermath of our SA visit in June/July of 2004.

I'm happy that your reaction to my opinions was a positive one, as I was completely sincere in recounting my impressions of each South African citizen with whom I came into contact. Over the years, I have traveled, resided and worked in several countries other than the U.S. and I am being completely honest when I say that I exprienced a most special feeling about your home country, which I have felt nowhere else. I pray the-powers-that-be in SA will seriously take stock of the special blessings they have, and not destroy your wonderful country and its people, as some "neighbors" have done and are doing.

It would be lekker to have the opportunity to meet you, one day.
God bless, boet!
Bill

Re: Re: Re: Re: Howzit from Gerryland (no pun intended!)

Sorry 'bout the faulty e-mail address above. This one is correct.