USS Richard S. Edwards DD-950 Forum

Post a message. Ask a question. Find an old friend here.

USS Richard S. Edwards DD-950 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Does this bring back memories of Eddie hitting pier?

I was just reading the story of the USS Port Royal being stuck on that reef outside of Pearl. it brought back memories of us hitting that pier in Pearl and all the guys with scrambled eggs that came for a visit that day! LOL I don't think that welcome aboard bell stopped ringing for a hour.

Re: Does this bring back memories of Eddie hitting pier?

That wasn't the only time we left a souvenir. We also left damage on a pier in Portland, Oregon in May, 1965.

OR IN 1962 when they hit the number one bouy coming into SAN DIEGO with the CAPTIAN GIG and his wife was waiting for him on north island that day.

lefty, do you remember what caused the damage? Capt. said that he didn't need a pilot and did a spring board off the pier. I was the bridge talker for the Capt. He said that if the pier was made right it would be OK. Made it all the way to the Pacific with out a river pilot, or a tug. John

thats why we called her the pearl harbor peir chrusher

WHAT ABOUT THE TIME WE PULLED INTO PORT IN PEAL AND TORE THE PEIER BECAUSE NO TUGS WERE USED IN THE SUMMER OF 78

We seem to forget that we did this on two consecutive Fridays. I was in Repair 5 for sea and anchor detail for both incidents and the first time, the camel along side the Bryce Canyon tore a small gash in the fuel oil tank. We in Repair 5 scrambled to charge fire hoses and manned them to keep the fuel oil from seeping too far into the harbor until Juicy Lucy could get there. The next week, we were smart enough to have the fire hoses layed out and charged for when we "bounced" off the same camel. No damage, but we were real proud of our captain. We could see the captain of the Bryce Canyon throw his cap on the deck and yell, "Get me Desron 35." We never came alongside the pier without a tug after that.

What year was this????????????

yes i think alot of now of that day. hell we riped there steam hook ups off, dont forget that to.johnny red was never aload to get to peir with out a tug.

Would have been '76 or '77. At that time I was S&AD Inport Petty officer of the watch and had little to do (till the brow was over) but stand on the quarterdeck in my whites and watch the monkey-football game. There was a very ironic "the Richard S. Edwards has joined the nest" from the Bryce Canyons' 1mc, and we spent a few days over at the bumper-piers shooting approaches. That was a big year for paint-swapping. If I remember, the Reeves clipped us while trying to get in forward of us. I think she got some stanchions on the port bow and chipped the anchor. I was on the quarterdeck but could distinctly hear her CO yell 'I have the conn, back full", but the wind was against him.
I think everyone was required to use a tug after that.
I don't remember who our previous skipper was, but he could park it in your back pocket.

I remember the Edwards hitting Bryce Canyon. I was in the forward emergency diesel room. I remember a big thud sound that seem to travel through the ship. I talked to a HT3 on the Bryce Canon, who is from my home town, had to replaces a few section of railing. MWL