319th Web Forum

Open Forum for WWII Vets their families and friends

319th Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gedge, Frederick C. 0-792578 319BG, 440 Squadron

Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help me find more information on Frederick C. Gedge. From the information I can find I believed he passed on Feb. 5, 1944 (DOW). I believe that he may have been involved in the downing of serial 41-34874. I am wondering if anyone can recall if this plane was named and what part of the crew Frederick served as.

I have learned a great deal about the B-26 and the 319th BG through my research thus far. I hope that I can further this experience. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Kind Regards,

Dan Bastiaansen

Re: Gedge, Frederick C. 0-792578 319BG, 440 Squadron

Dan

41-34874 (319th BG, 440th BS) damaged by fighters and ditched Feb 3, 1944. MACR 7379 and 7326

The MACR will list the entire crew. MACRs can be obtained, go here to start with,

http://www.armyairforces.com/dbmacr.asp

Yours,

Mark Styling

I am distantly related to Frederick C Gedge so I visited his grave when I was on holiday in Rome in 2008. If you would like a copy of the photograph, please let me know.

Hello,

Frederick was on a train en route for a POW camp in Germany when the train was bombed by 320 Bomb Group USAAF as it passed over a bridge at Allerona, near Orvieto Italy on 28 January 1944. Frederick was suffering from severe burns and was admitted to hospital in Orvieto where he died of wounds on 5 February. You can read all about the incident on my website.

I should like to know where his plane was shot down. He was in POW Camp 54 Fara in Sabina, Italy, before being put on the train.

Regards,

Janet Kinrade Dethick

Hello,

Frederick was on a train en route for a POW camp in Germany when the train was bombed by 320 bomb Group as it passed over a bridge at Allerona, near Orvieto Italy on 28 January 1944. Fred was suffering from severe burns and was admitted to hospital in Orvieto where he died of wounds on 5 February. You can read all about the incident on my website.

I should like to know where his plane was shot down. He was in POW Camp 54 Fara in Sabina, Italy, before being put on the train.

Regards,

Janet Kinrade Dethick