Email: merlin_2006us@yahoo.com

Date/Time: 11/28/01 12:15 PM

Subject: do you know him?

Does anyone know a Donald F. Reynolds?

Author: Timothy Siefers

Email: corazon_celtico@yahoo.com

Date/Time: 09/10/01 10:00 AM

Subject: Grandson of Jack Jeter.

Hello all. I'm the son of Jack Jeter who it appears was in the 438th. Anyway, I'm looking for info such as his rank, maybe other pics someone might have of him, and clarifying info on the plane we worked with. My mom, his daughter, hasn't been able to clear up exactly what plane he worked on. Can anyone help me? Stories involving him would be appreciated to.

Thank You.

Author: Brian Bell

Email: blbhhb@hotmail.com

Date/Time: 07/08/01 12:31 PM

Subject: Painting of the 319th based at Okinawa

I am an aviation artist that is trying to find information on the 319th's missions that were flown in A-26's from Okinawa in 1945. I would like to document in oil some of the missions that were flown from there in the last months of WWII. The only information that I have been able to find about markings has been vague. All that I have been able to find out about aircraft markings is that there were some A-26's that were painted with blue tails with white s/n and aircraft numbers. Any information would be of great assistance. I would like to potray the painting as historically accurate as possible. Any photos, strike photos, briefings, personal information, contacts, and information in general would be greatly appreciated. If there is anyone that is able to assist me in this effort to pay tribute for those who flew the A-26 in the pacific it would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to Email me with any information at blbhhb@hotmail.com. I will reply immediately

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Brian Bell

Author: David Dickason

Email: davkei@midsouth.rr.com

Date/Time: 06/26/01 4:21 PM

Subject: information

All,

I am looking for information concerning T/Sgt Francis L. Dickason (my Dad).

He was with the 319th as a radioman/bombardier. I have a list of missions he

participated in starting with an 11/28/43 mission over Salon and ending 7/3/44

with a mission over Savona, Italy. Any information would be

appreciated.

David Dickason

Author: Dan

Email: dmbart@PEOPLEPC.COM

Date/Time: 06/23/01 10:25 AM

Subject: Plane Assignments

Did pilots fly the same planes or did it change from mission to mission?

Author: Ken Held

Email: nrken@zdnetonebox.com

Date/Time: 06/17/01 1:01 PM

Subject: Horse Feathers

We’ve been researching a B-26 recently found in Lake Tunis. The plane was shot down on Dec. 15, 1942 after a raid on El Alouin airfield in Tunisia, and was with the 319th BG. My uncle, Sgt. Maurice L. Cohen, was a gunner on the aircraft, and died along with the rest of the crew including Col. Phillips, CO of the 12th Bomber Command. Thanks to Ron Macklin we’ve learned (among other things) that the plane was named “Horse Feathers.” If anybody has a photo of the plane and/or crew, we’d appreciate a copy.

I also want to thank the many folks who have answered my earlier posting with emails. We now know so much more about My uncle's activities in the war, and it means a great deal to all of us.

Author: Andrew

Email: acoggs@pacbell.net

Date/Time: 06/12/01 2:23 PM

Subject: Info on pilot in the 439th Corsica and Okinawa

I am hoping that someone has some information on a pilot, Adrian Thom, who flow with the 439th out of Corsica and Okinawa. My main focus right now is information regarding the B-25 he flow, but any information would be appreciated. I am working on a scale model of the B-25 he flow, Bonnie Doll, for his widow, my mother-in-law. He only flow 14 mission in this plane so I do not know if anyone will have any information or photos but I figure this site is my best bet. All I have to work with is a painting done from a photo that no long exists. The painting is missing tail numbers and other markings. If anyone thinks they can help please contact me by email or post a reply here. Thanks.

Author: Ken Held

Email: nrken@zdnetonebox.com

Date/Time: 06/11/01 6:45 PM

Subject: B-26 recovered in Tunisia

A B-26 was recovered this year from Lake Tunis, Tunisia during dredging. It was downed on Dec. 15, 1942 on a mission against El Aouina airbase, and the Army has recovered debris and remains. I believe my uncle, Maurice L. Cohen, was a gunner on that aircraft, and would appreciate any information anybody might have about the mission, the crew, etc. Photos would be especially appreciated. The Army is performing identity checks, and has contacted our family as well as other families. I'm not certain of my uncle's unit, but I'm guessing that it was the 12th Air Force, probably the 319th BG, which was active in that area then. Thanks.

Ken Held

Author: Joe Poznik

Email: joseph.poznik@pittsburgh.af.mil

Date/Time: 05/11/01 5:31 AM

Subject: SSgt Mike Poznik

I would like to try to find out some information about a member of the 319th that was lost during the war. SSgt Mike Poznik was my uncle. I was not born until 1951, so unfortunately, I never knew him. I have always been interested in finding out more about his time in the service, (i.e., crew position, missions flown, last mission...) as I too am in the Air Force.

Recently, however, my desire to do so has been fueled by some information we came across in my family's records. I found out that Uncle Mike's unit was the 319th. My first assignment out of Nav Bombardier training was a B-52 at Grand Forks, N.D., the 319 Bomb Wing! I can't explain the shivers I felt when I first found out.

I know Uncle Mike was a gunner, but that's about it. If anybody knows anything about my uncle, please send me the info.

Thank you,

Lt Col Joe Poznik

911AW Chief of Safety

Author: Louise

Email: Raylouise2@aol.com

Date/Time: 05/03/01 6:24 PM

Subject: I am hoping to find some of these bombing mission photo's:

Would anyone have any of the following Bomb Strike photo's?

Alba RR Br,

Asti RR Br,

Casalecchio,

Cassano d'Adda,

Castellar Petro Ref Depo,

Desenzano RR Viaduct,

Enego RR Br,

Faenza,

Florence D/P,

LeSigol W. RR Br,

Mestre Fuel Dump,

Migazzone RR Br,

Montebello RR Br,

Ponte San Pietro RR Br,

Pescheria,

Rimini D/P,

Roverto RR Br,

S. Riffillo Rd Br (Lazzaro),

San Dalmazzo RR Br,

San Giovanni RR Br,

Torreberetti RR Br,

Tortona Ammo Dump.

I am not sure of correct spellings. I would be very happy with any scanned pictures or I would pay for a copy and postage if any are available. I am missing all of the above Mission Photos from my Dad's time in the 319th.

THANK YOU! Louise

Author: Jack D Keller

Email: jdkeller79@aol.com

Date/Time: 03/30/01 2:05 AM

Subject: Website

Hello:Just happned to see your web site and think that you have done a beautiful job, am putting in my FAVORITES to study much better when I have more time.I also would like you to check out a web site that I am working on to rebuild a B17 for a static display to be opned in Cincinnati,Ohio in Oct.of 2002. There are 5 WW2 vets. working on this project. My pardner was a Pilot with the 351 BG and I say once in a while "Tail Gunner to Pilot over", he says,""as long as you do not say RED BANDETS at 6:00 Low". We do enjoy>>> www.ultimatesacrifice.com <<< I know you will enjoy this site as much as I enjoy YOURS. GOD BLESS all you GROUND and B26 CREWS- Jack D keller Tail Gunner Togglier- B17 A/C 231582 "Ol'Scrapiron" ---- Love You All! http://ww2wings.homestead.com/jackkeller.html

Author: Louise Hampton

Date/Time: 03/13/01 6:09 PM

Subject: What planes were used for training in the US before being assigned for overseas?

Were different planes used during your speciality training in the United States? Were they usually the same kinds you would have for your replacement crew training for overseas?

Or was it the luck of the draw and you trained on what was available and then applied that knowledge to the plane you were assigned for combat duty?

Louise

Author: Ronald Macklin

Email: rmacact39@aol.com

Date/Time: 06/14/01 6:15 PM

Subject: RE: What planes were used for training in the US before being assigned for overseas?

As far as the 17th Bomb group was concerned all pilots were trained on the B-26 before going into combat. They may not have been the same exact model but were still a B-26.

> Were different planes used during your speciality training in the United States? Were they usually the same kinds you would have for your replacement crew training for overseas?

> Or was it the luck of the draw and you trained on what was available and then applied that knowledge to the plane you were assigned for combat duty?

> Louise

Author: BROCK

Email: marauder@ev1.net

Date/Time: 03/26/01 12:33 PM

Subject: RE: What were the requirements for a pilot in 1942 and 1943?

Louise: I was in Cadet class 43H. I had to pass a 2year college equivalancy test, and a meeting with a board of officers for an oral interview. Brock

>

> Hi,

> Another question I am hoping someone can answer. Was so

> me college required or a high school diploma to qualify for

> pilot training in 1942 or 1943? Or were there other requirem

> ents that must be met to be a pilot?

> THANKS, Louise

Date/Time: 03/26/01 9:08 PM

Subject: RE: RE: What were the requirements for a pilot in 1942 and 1943?

Hi Brock,

THANKS for answering! Was a high school diploma required for pilot training also? If not was there an equivalancy test for that too?

THANKS! Louise

>

> Louise: I was in Cadet class 43H. I had to pass a 2year coll

> ege equivalancy test, and a meeting with a board of officers

> for an oral interview. Brock

> >

> > Hi,

> > Another question

> I am hoping someone can answer. Was so

> > me college requir

> ed or a high school diploma to qualify for

> > pilot trainin

> g in 1942 or 1943? Or were there other requirem

> > ents that

> must be met to be a pilot?

> > THANKS, Louise

Date/Time: 03/13/01 5:52 PM

Subject: AAFAFS Marfa, Texas 1942 and 1943

Can anyone tell me anything about this training base? I only know that my Dad was there from Nov. 1942 until about June 1943. Would Basic Training be included? Would training have been for pilots, mechanics and air crew members? Dad wore 2 pins in his lapels he got here (distinguished insignia I believed they called West Coast Training Center or Gulf Coast Training Center.) Any information would be wonderful!

THANKS! Louise

Author: Dan Taylor

Email: danktaylor@aol.com

Date/Time: 06/28/01 9:08 PM

Subject: RE: AAFAFS Marfa, Texas 1942 and 1943

>

> Can anyone tell me anything about this training base? I only

> know that my Dad was there from Nov. 1942 until about June

> 1943. Would Basic Training be included? Would training have

> been for pilots, mechanics and air crew members? Dad wore 2

> pins in his lapels he got here (distinguished insignia I bel

> ieved they called West Coast Training Center or Gulf Coast T

> raining Center.) Any information would be wonderful!

> THANKS

> ! Louise

You can call Fritz Kahl in Marfa Texas (915) 729-4829 He was one of the main instructors at Marfa and Carlsbad NM.

Author: Steve Pace

Email: stevepace@home.com

Date/Time: 02/27/01 6:34 PM

Subject: 319th

Trying to find out the tail colors for each squadron flying B-25s. Also looking for a/c photos for a book - B-25 MITCHELL UNITS IN THE MTO.

Author: Charles Wolf

Email: wolf@texas.net

Date/Time: 10/30/01 7:10 AM

Subject: RE: 319th

The tail and nacelle colors of the 439th squadron were Yellow

>

> Trying to find out the tail colors for each squadron flying

> B-25s. Also looking for a/c photos for a book - B-25 MITCHELL

> UNITS IN THE MTO.

Author: Lee Smith/440th

Email: lsmith@azstarnet.com

Date/Time: 02/17/01 5:35 PM

Subject: New Msg Board

Blair --

Looking good.

Lee Smith

Author: Ed Schrader

Email: edschrader@ pcnow.net

Date/Time: 02/17/01 3:33 PM

Subject: test as requested

just a test message as you requested..going to the chat room next. Thanks ed

Date/Time: 02/17/01 1:14 PM

Subject: Six ship take off and landing.

I would like to know if any other unit in WWII used the 6 ship take off and landing technique like the 319th. I had read from a 310th BG veteran that they had used the six-ship take off with B-25's in Dec. 1942. I contacted two 310th BG men and both were very kind. They explained that the 310th used a six-ship "formation" while flying. They explained...

"When we moved to Dar el Koudia, in a large dusty wheatfield, the runway was widened enough for three B-25's to take off "three abreast" at the same time. Meanwhile, three more B-25's had taxied up to the end of the runway and as soon as the dust cloud cleared enough for the second three pilots to see that the first three had lifted off enough to clear the runway, they pushed their throttles open and were on their take off run. Perhaps the original recount was for the six formation planes taking off with three going first and the other three following after the first ones cleared. I could see where someone might call that a six ship take off." "My description would be that the take off was with only three planes going down the runway and taking off together, making it a three plane take off."

Great group of veterans!

Now I am back to my original question, were there any other Bomb Groups in WWII that used a six-ship take off and landing technique?

THANKS! Louise Hampton

daughter of Charles E. Smith 440th

Author: Yes, I know the 320th BG did on Aug 15, 1944. Morning of D-Day Southern France. They lost 3 ships -

Email:

Date/Time: 02/22/01 8:14 PM

Subject: RE: Six ship take off and landing.

Author: Ted Baker

Email: baker26@eesc.com

Date/Time: 02/17/01 2:03 PM

Subject: RE: Six ship take off and landing.

Louise, I'll put a notice in the next newsletter of the 17th/319th BG and maybe we'll get an answer to your six plane take-off question.

Ted Baker

Date/Time: 02/17/01 6:55 PM

Subject: RE: RE: Six ship take off and landing.

Ted Baker,

THANKS! I appreciate your efforts to get my question out there to more people! I hope I am on the list to receive the Newsletter! Please check, if not, contact me at my e-mail address and I will give necessary information.

FANTASTIC!

Louise Hampton

Author: Ted Baker

Email: baker26@eesc.com

Date/Time: 03/07/01 3:57 PM

Subject: RE: RE: RE: Six ship take off and landing.

Louise, You're on the mailing list for the newsletter.

Ted

Author: Joe trapp

Email: jttrapp21@aol.com

Date/Time: 02/24/01 12:17 PM

Subject: RE: RE: Six ship take off and landing.

I vaguely remember the three ship takeoff used by our 17th BG while stationed in Sardinia. Three more ships followed as soon as the dust from the first group of three cleared. I recall the engineer was directed to stand just back of the pilots with his hand on the flare gun ready to shoot it off if any of the three planes in the side by side takeoff had any trouble. Someplace I may still have a photo of such takeoffs. Sincerely, Joe trapp