Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
the gauntlet

i would be grateful for any comments on this dream,
mainly for some sort of confirmation of my own thoughts,
but as is my trait i do tend to miss the obvious,
the dream,
i am given a choice of 2 paths,indicated by ancient symbols on the grass,
the one to the left is a long path and i feel it to be a trap,natives waiting or something,
i choose the right path instead,
the path runs between a steep sided valley,the way in, is the way out,had the feel of a labyrinth,
the path contains all sorts of cunning traps,

i was informed by a disembodied voice,
beware, the path chooses who gets through not the person,if you think you are worthy,you will fail,

as i run through the gauntlet,others are present,
i watch as the various traps spring and suck the others into the ground,they thought they were worthy,
i don't know how,but i make it through,into a tunnel and out the otherside,
as i exit this tunnel,a female on a white horse tries to overtake me,or should that be, take me over,
i swerve infront of her,and she falls off,
the path/track comes to a springboard above a field ,where some sort of fair or fete is taking place,
i jump off the springboard to land on a stack of hay bails,and roll onto the grass,
i can see the winning line,the prize is a gold cup,
which is waiting on a table.
then i woke,
i can see the obvious questing,hero journey theme,
the interest point for me was that,
the path chooses the person,and who gets through,
and not the other way round,
any thoughts,
steve.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 51-uk

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: the gauntlet

Steve, I would see it as,

the left path was the past - you had an instinct of things laying in wait for you; 'natives' - the less developed 'animal man' who you have left behind. Instinctually you knew not to go down this path, as it would be merely 'going back'.
The right hand path is the future - but the path chooses the person' - not the other way round.
In other words, we cannot 'demand' what our future is going to be. For example, I wanted a steady relationship with someone I love and a family. It simply hasn't happened, but, different experiences have shaped me in different ways, instead. I have accepted that 'this is my life and I have to get on with it'.
In our society boys and especially girls are told and absorb 'fairy' stories when very young about things working out, a 'hero' coming to be with us and living happily ever after. As we grow up, we recognise real life isn't like this and that we have to be our own hero and walk the path as a hero alone ( whether or not we are in a relationship or not the uniqueness of the human condition and individual psyche demand we can only do this).

What I think the dream is saying is you can choose how to react to the events that are laid in your path but not what actually happens to you. At the moment, you see these events as 'traps' - something to trip you up. Maybe the dream is suggesting you trust life to shape you a little more, rather than digging in your heels and saying "no!, this is how it is going to be?"

I could be way off! What do you think?

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 37 UK

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} f

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yup

Re: Re: the gauntlet

claire,
i liked your thoughts on the left and right paths,past and future,
because it had the feel of a labrynth,ie the way in, is also the way out,no dead ends or false trails,
(that would be a maze,)
i felt it was more a symbol of individuation,
you have said in the past,he who thinks he is,isn't,
gerard has also said,
the ego leads to disaster in the spiritual/hero journey,
in how many myths, have would be, ego led hero's failed miserably,( arthurian/grail myths excel)
i think what is being said is,
you need to be an innocent trusting fool,
like forest gump,or parsifal,
and say yes to everything that comes your way,
this to some, is also a fairy tale,
but in most myths it is, this character that does the deed,gets the job done,
i know i lack faith in my-self,
and i am most definatly ,not worthy to be on a holy quest,
so maybe this dream is compensating my negative conscious attitude to it all,
still a lot to think about,
kind regards steve

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

Re: the gauntlet

Steve,
There are traps and danger on both paths. Either way you go, it is a difficult journey. The right path traps could be studies, deep introspection and Self work. It's a dangerous obstacle course to navigate requiring throughness and dedication, which you exemplify.

"the path chooses who gets through not the person,if you think you are worthy,you will fail" offers a couple of possiblities. One possiblity is a destiny realization. There are vastly differing views on this topic. At the two extremes: every aspect of a person's life is their choice and a result of those choices; and we deceive ourselves thinking we have any choice whatsoever. Most fall in the middle in that we create our individual reality with destiny having some influence.

Also, with this there may be a conenction to the theme of justice within the dream. left/right symbolizing balance as the scales of justice, the left a derivitive of, the right metting out. The female on white horse the mythic avenger of wrongs. Your sorrow felt for those others lost along the way.

What are your thoughts?

Kind regards,
Kathy

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44 Central OH

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Y

Re: Re: the gauntlet

kathy,
i think you have hit the mark,
i felt that this dream refered to destiny of sorts,
we all know what campbell and jung have said,
the ego does not run the show,
and has to rellocate its centre of gravity when the self makes itself known,
this is the destiny we all have,
jung called it individuation,
certain mystical experiences from my past have given me the wounds i now have,
by analogy,
i have stood in the presence of the grail,
been totally bewidered by its radiance,
it woke me up,and then was gone,
i have been searching for it ever since,
but i feel it is close,
most of my dreams of late have, what you have called,
a destiny realization about them,
i am not aware consciously what it is,but something knows,
it always seems to be,something you never thought of,at a time you least expect,a sort of death .
if all the experts are right,and middle age is the 2nd chance in the grail castle,
if we are aware of this fact,we have a good chance of grasping what is there,and putting it to use,
time will tell,
regards steve

stats from 7-14-10 to the present