Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
snake in a tree

This is only part of the dream but the most scary! I was at a neighbours house (a real neighbour from my childhood, but he didnt look the same) I was helping put away the dishes, then his wife came home with a friend (they were all about 30yrs older than me, true in real life)but all looked different, he started playing the piano and we all sang a song! Then i went out the back and realised it was a huge rural property (not true in real life) There were heaps of huge gum trees really big and beautiful, i was there with my younger brother and sister and we were going to run to the end of the property, miles away. Then i remembered that there were flying snakes on this land and it was were they shot a movie called 'snakes'! then a huge black, thick snake with large fangs flew into the tree next to us, high up in the branches. It twitched around making frantic movements like a bird flapping its wings. I had a blanket which i put over my head so the snakes wouldnt land on me, then we ran off!
edwina

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 29 australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: snake in a tree

edwina,
Let me give some more thought to your dream. The snake symbolism is most important here and I need to give more time to understanding that. Meanwhile this dream has possibilities that can be easily eliminated if you could expand on any experience{s} you may have had during your childhood that left an impression on you, experience{s} that have lasted throughout these years. It may involve actual neighbors during that stage of life. Your brother and sister may be part of that experience{s}.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Thanks for your reply Gerard. I had several negative experiences growing up. I have a hunch this snake thing may be more related to my father somehow. I see the trees as possibly representing myself, connected to the earth (mother) and gaining energy from the sun (father) through the leaves. My father was quite unpredictable and aggresive at times. I dont quite get the neighbour thing, i was not particularly close to this neighbour. I s'pose though he probably had a similar energy to my dad in terms of aggression.
edwina

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

edwina,
First let me say I appreciate your reply follow ups. The proper way to interpret a dream {in this manner, via the Internet} is to able to have a back and forth between the dreamer and the interpreter. Your co-operation and participation is not only helping us better understand the dream's intent but it may also help you better understand yourself, why and who you are. And hopefully also provide clearer insights on how to go forward in your life. That is where understanding our dreams can be so very beneficial.

The new information you give may be important, the facts about your dad and your childhood. Often when childhood experiences are presented in a dream they are related to that period of time of childhood. Or associations to the present day were formed during that period of time. Or both.

What may be more important is the nature of the aggression you described by your father. Was it mainly psychological or was there physical aggression also. Could you expound on why you believe the snake is related to your father?

I get a sense the dream is addressing who you are now and possible childhood associations to that. The part about them being 30 years older than you makes be believe the 30 years is addressing the time that has passed between those childhood experiences and the present {were you about nine, that time frame?}. I want to examine this part more, and the second part with the snakes. I'll do that in the morning when my intuitive glands seem to more active.

One other question if you should read this before I give a final interpretation and have a chance to answer. Do you actually have a brother and sister, and if so were they treated with the same aggression by your father as you were? My sense is the part about them in the dream are related to your childhood experiences, you and them, and there seems to be a common desire by all of you to escape from something. And of course that could be your abrasive father.

I also get a sense there was another related experience shared with your brother and sister {brothers and sisters may also represent personal aspects but in this case I believe they represent themselves more so}. Was there something the three of you did together, perhaps as a defense to your dad's harsh personality?

Gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

yes i do actually have a younger sister and brother, and i guess in our early childhood we were quite close. Honestly there is a lot i dont remember from that time. My fathers aggresion was usually psychological. I am not sure why i made the connection with him and the snake. I think it just had that feel! maybe the fear i felt associated with his aggresion? The feeling of being unprotected and unprepared ie. having only a soft blanket to put over my head to protect me from flying snakes with sharp fangs!!
I am about to turn 30.. maybe that explains the 30yrs older?
edwina

Edwina,
The 30 years, your age, does seem to fit. And snakes are noted for their aggression. There may be some cultural influence with the snake symbol since some of the most deadly and aggressive snakes are found in Australia. And there are 'flying snakes' located in Southeast Asia. The blanket could also be associated with these childhood experiences.

But I believe the dream is addressing something more than just the past. My sense is the dream is also addressing current emotional aspects. The fact the neighbors were 30 years older than you suggests for me something from that time period has carried over to the present day. Also blankets are often symbolic of covering something up with the unconscious. It may be you are still tying to escape from something, either actual childhood experiences or emotional stress related to your childhood. It doesn't have to be something so terrible to be an influence but it would be something that left a deep impression on your psyche and probably unconsciously controls some part of your life.

One suggestion is to go back and search your memories from your childhood. Consult your brother and sister and parents to help determine if there is something from the past. Psychological trauma is as real as physical, often even more so.

Also, has there been any recent experiences that involve 'neighbors'? You may have to look at the symbolic values of the word to help determine that. There may have been a recent experience that reminded you of your childhood.

Other than that I believe we have come to better understand the dream and most of its associations. But there does seem to be something else that the dream is trying to address. Perhaps future dreams will help clarify what that is. Often such dreams as this one will provoke other dreams related to the same subject. It is like opening a can of worms {in your case snakes} and they all begin to crawl out.

And you have been wonderful with your input and participation in this whole dream process. If every post had someone like you to help sort through the possibilities, it would be a much easier task to understand all dreams. Thanks again. We have learned much from your posts.

Gerard

Thanks Gerard, I think you are right about the blanket representing a covering up of emotional stuff from that time. I havent quite made a connection to the neighbour reference, but i guess if it is important it will come up again, as you say. Thanks again for your insights, by the way, do you ever post any of your dreams on this site? I would be interested to read what someone like you dreams about!?
edwina

Edwina,
I seldom post my dreams because I don't often analyze them. I do have spells when my dreams seem to speak to me in an authoritative fashion and that is when I analyze them in-depth. Other dreams are always speaking to my current waking life so there is not a lot new to be discovered in them. And I have had those important archetypal dreams years ago when I dreamt of Black Kali, which lead to realize that the feminine aspect is most powerful and which connected me with my deepest unconscious {that was some 11 years ago}. Joseph Campbell tells us that such dreams are life awakening dreams and for me is was just that. It wasn't but a year of so later I began to design my Myths-Dreams-Symbols website and started to interpret dreams for others. I had found my true bliss from those dreams.

My last posted dream was Running On Gas. I posted that dream as an example of how body conditions enters into our dreams, and how dreams do display information other than psychological conditions. We had a great discussion on the topic.

I do look forward to my dreams though. I see proper sleep as most important to good physical and mental health. Knowing I will dream only makes me want to get to bed even more. And I do sometimes incubate a dream, where i will concentrate on particular subject and let the dream play it out. This is not lucid dreaming because I don't try to control the dream. I let it play itself out, as it normally would. If something 'big' comes from those dreams then I will analyze them. Otherwise I merely enjoy my time in dreamworld. I am of the mind that world is connected to the next world, after death {I prefer the term transition to death}. The psyche energy returns to its universal fold, whatever that might be.

As for death, an issue that becomes so very big at mid-life. I live by the proverb taken from the Islamic mystics Sufi, something I believe to be the best answer to what comes after this life.

When the angel of death approaches it is horrific
But when it reaches you it is bliss

Gerard

stats from 7-14-10 to the present