Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dogs

Male, 28 Orlando

I was waiting on a car ride from my wife's brother, I took out a flute and was instructed by a colleague at work on how to play Silent night on it, as if I were getting ready for a test. I had played the flute before and I picked up the tune easily. I wanted to grab a quick snack so I took a right turn and began walking down the street.

I picked up my favorite snack somewhere and as I was on my way back 3 dogs overtook me. One was huge and off white and they would not let me go back the way I came. I found another path along the banks of a river, which eventually turned into a sidewalk and large road, but it did not lead me back to the spot where I had started. I was no longer in a quiet neighborhood but a busy intersection with a few shady characters.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 28 Orlando fl

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Dogs

Jamel,
Your dream could be a ‘classic’ Jung conflict/Campbell message…that of following your authentic life engaging creative bliss versus a social prescription of inauthentic life.

Can I assume you were waiting at or near an intersection? In waking life do you play the flute? And what is the favorite snack?

If you do not wish to answer just let me know. I will still look at the dream for interpretation. Your answers would aid in personal association of the symbols. And to help prevent projection on my part!

Kind regards,
Kathy

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44 Central OH

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Y

Kathy

Thanks for taking the time. I really appreciate it. I was near an intersection yes, I do not know why I decided to turn right.

My favorite snack is Tamarind Balls which is indigenous to Trinidad only, and it is where I grew up.

I should be more precise. It wasn't a flute but a recorder...like a flute, and I used to play it when I was younger and hated it. Seemed as though in the dream I didn't mind it as much...

I hope this gives some more insight.

Thanks again

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Jamel,
Thank you for responding. Your answers seem to confirm the original impression of the dream. The dream may describe a turning moment in your life journey.

Perhaps you are at a point in life where you must make a decision on which path to take, one of social duty or of personal life fulfillment. The wife’s brother, flute and work colleague could symbolize social duty, expectations of others, of society. As a child you hated the recorder. In the dream you now don’t mind it as much, you’ve become accustomed or acclimated to the yoke of social demands.

The favored snack could represent your bliss. The call to live bliss is often heard in childhood but ignored due to the demands of family and society. Whatever this is for you, it could act to nourish the Psyche, the inner Self. Once engaged returning to the path of social duty would not be easy. There would be obstacles as shown by the dogs. But there are obstacles along every path. The alternate path along the river could symbolize the true life journey, the life you were meant to live, that nourishes and sustains, it flows within you. This path is difficult too but would improve as you move with it. It leads away from the current social life.

Yet…in the end we must all bend to some aspects of social life. As Gerard and others here on the Forum recognize, and as Campbell states, there are so many social demands on us. We can not ignore them all because we must live in society. It’s evaluating then choosing those that are necessary, and discarding those that are not.

The interpretation may or may not be close. It may help to reference Joseph Campbell on MDS:
Joseph Campbell – The Hero’s Journey

Please respond with your thoughts. Even if the interpretation is not close with your response we can look again to decipher the inner message.

Kind regards,
Kathy

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Kathy thanks for taking the time and sorry for the delay in the response, I was extremely busy with work. I appreciate it greatly.

Kathy I see the possibility of your interpretation. I'd like to say something with regards to the dogs and what dogs mean to me. I have always loved dogs for their loyalty and friendliness. They are a symbol of loyalty but nevertheless an obstacle for me because dogs are the guardians of trust and friendship. When I was young my dog didn't trust me at times because there were times when I didn't trust him and he could feel that. I fear many times that they sense my insecurity and may reject me...somehow? I don't know if this can give more insight?

In the dream I was apprehensive towards the dogs when they blocked my path back and though I wanted to just walk past them, I feared they'd sense my apprehension and act aggressively, which has been some of my experience in real life. Hence the reason why I tried to find another path, which led to another road, and some shady characters?

Still a bit confused however, thanks again!!!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 26 Orlando fl

Jamel,
My sincere apologies for the delay in getting back. Work demands on life would seem to be universal.

Thank you for providing your take on dogs. Personal meaning of symbols is paramount in dream interpretation. With your definintion of dogs,other information and your new post, perhaps the dream identifies some issue developed in youth that now hinders you in adult life. Personal association of dogs with loyalty, trust and sense...three dogs, three traits...could point to unconscious inner conflicts in these areas that act as obstacles in your life. Again, the recorder may point to some contributory factor or source developed in youth.

Waiting on a ride from your brother in law - perhaps there is some aspect of his personality you desire to incorporate - is he trusting or possess an ability to read people, etc? Or the opposite, is there some negative trait you see in him that you do not like or agree with?

Many thanks,
Kathy

Kathy,

Thanks for the reply. No worries on the wait. There are always 3 things. A long time ago I had a strong dream that a lady dressed in white, that I was supposed to protect got shot by three arrows. A friend at work told me that the three arrows were faith, charity and hope....I don't know. I quit the recorder because it seemed so dumb to me and picked up the guitar instead. I've never met the brother in law that I was waiting on. I've met the other one several times, I do not know why I dreamt about the one I haven't met. I understand and agree with the alternate path probably being the way. Yet what clues does the dream give regarding how to start?

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 26 Orlando fl

Jamel,
Perhaps waiting and Silent Night are clues, stillness. A time think, examine and not yet a time for action. Tims is soemtimes required before action, to throughly examine an issue to decide the best course of action.

Kind regards,
Kathy

Kathy, there was a theme of waiting. A very obvious one, and Silent night does seem like a message of stillness. When I think about it the song seems to bring peace, as it says and so the dream may be saying, to sit, wait, find peace and I'll find bliss?

Maybe the recorder is like a snake charmer's instrument? And by finding peace I'll no longer need to wait for the outisde stuff/people to bring me bliss, I'll go to it? Just throwing things out there I think I have gotten a positive message from this one also. Thank you for all your help!!!!

stats from 7-14-10 to the present