Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ganesha

I am in a very dilapidated place (familiar to me but I'm not sure where it actually is). There are lots of people around like a family reunion but I only actually see clearly and speak to one person. This person is a female and in my dream I know she is a realtive but I don't recognize her from real life. I notice a place in the ground that seems to be a grave that has sunken in and a body can be seen inside. We look inside and see Ganesha, wearing robes and a very ornate golden mask. Neither of us is surprised by the find--even commenting on the fact that it's Ganesha. Then I woke up feeling pretty peaceful.
I have never studied anything about Ganesha--but I know he is a Hindu God. I have also been collecting elephants for quite a few years--don't know why, I just love elephants. Any ideas?

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 38, Montgomery Alabama

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? No

Re: Ganesha

Hello Lisa,

Although it’s always best to have background information about the dreamer and knowledge of recent events in her or his life before trying to interpret a dream, it may be possible to give some idea about the meaning of this dream because the presence of a mythological figure, Ganesha, shows that it’s coming from the deepest part of your psyche where symbols are more collective and less personal.

The dilapidated place that is “familiar” may represent a part of your unconscious personality that is less developed than other aspects. The “people around like a family reunion” in a similar way represent “you” although perhaps in the sense of being “uncohesive” in some way. The woman who is a relative may be a sort of inner guide who could lead you toward a cohesion that may be called for at this time.

Ganesha is the son of Shiva and Parvati and as you know has the head of an elephant. He likely represents in a basic way the need for a profound change in direction in your life, perhaps required because you are entering the second half of life.

In a nutshell, it’s probable that Ganesha appeared in your dream because of his connection with elephants which in turn often represent the Self or the wholeness of the personality. You could look up more about the Self on this website.

Another aspect of Ganesha may be the presence of all sorts of contradictions related to him like being part human and part elephant, being very fat yet carried along by a mouse or rat, having one or both tusks sometimes depicted as missing or broken, and being connected with wisdom although looking strange and humorous. Some theorize that his image overall represents Maya, our ridiculous yet profound life in space and time.

Since he is also related to writing and to wisdom, it’s possible that the dream is advising you to resurrect a part of yourself that could try to piece together this contradictory madness of life on earth to help find meaning in it (writing).

This may be an encapsulation of your task during the second half of life, trying to reduce a restricted ego view and unearthing a more inclusive world view (as often symbolized by the elephant).

Waking up feeling peaceful likely points to the satisfying potential involved in such a quest. Since Ganesha is also connected with success in new ventures, the dream appears to be strongly encouraging you to take this direction overall.

However, without knowing more about you, it’s not possible to say if these ideas could relate to your personal situation in any way. In general terms, a dream like yours is often best understood by reading about and mulling over the mythological and animal figures involved to find out what especially resonates with you, so looking into the attributes and symbolism of elephants, Shiva, Parvati, and Ganesha and so on should help clarify the profound meaning of your dream.

If this idea of seeking a new paradigm related to the second half of life is of interest, you would probably like the writings of analyst James Hollis.
Please Note:
After a dream has been interpreted, a follow-up response to the interpretation is requested. This will help both the dreamer and the interpreter better understand the dream message. All interpretations are FREE and the only compensation we ask is your participation in the process of understanding your

dream

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 57 Canada

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

Holy Cow! (or should I say elephant?)

I can't believe how you nailed my life to the wall.
1) I am soon to be 39 and have been thinking on what I want for the SECOND HALF of my life. Lots of changes are coming up (I feel) and I have been on the fence about them--but deep down I know I need to make them.
2) I recently finished a novel (after two years work) and am trying to find a publisher at this time. I have been feeling a bit discouraged. Even though I have received pretty good feedback from several publishers, still no sale.
3) I am also a bit estranged from my family. Tired of trying to fix their situations and having no time to deal with my own.
4) I have suffered from low self-esteem since elementary school but am slowly (and painfully) pulling myself out of that rut.
5) Because of my self-esteem issues, I have been trying really hard to project my extroverted side in public (on the job, ect...) I think I do come across as humorous to most people--but I still have a lot of people coming to me for advice and what not--"being connected with wisdom although looking strange and humorous."
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. Your answer has really helped me! God Bless!!!!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 38, Montgomery Alabama

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? No

I’m glad that I was able to help with your dream. And it’s great that you’re actively asking yourself questions about what you want to do next. As analyst Marion Woodman says in “Bone: Dying into Life”:

“Once the question is in consciousness, the answer is constellated in the unconscious. Or, as I have come to understand it, the answer often lies in the unconscious waiting for the question to be consciously asked…

What has to be let go to make room for the transformations of energy that are ready to pour through the body-soul?...As life asks new things of me, I feel I must pause, go inward, and ask, ‘What is my weight now? What are my new values? Who am I and not-I at this stage? Do I have the courage to live with this evolving me?’”

And from what you’ve said, it’s possible that you have more of an introverted disposition which unfortunately doesn’t receive much nourishment from the surrounding society. If this seems to be the case, you might like “The Introvert Advantage” by Marti Olsen Laney, PsyD.

But don’t forget to try some titles from James Hollis such as “Creating a Life”.

Good luck in getting your novel published!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 57, Canada

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

stats from 7-14-10 to the present