Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking up at the sky

Two nights ago I dreamt that I was outside and looking up at the sky. There was a huge Christmas tree up in the sky and the sky was full of different coloured lights. There were children playing and everyone was happy. There were lots of people walking around me but no-one could see what I saw. It was as if they were totally unaware of what was going on above them. Then when I looked up again I could see Santa Claus in a sleigh flying over the huge Christmas tree that was decorated. I said to myself "This is stupid because there is no Santa Clause". But then I could see him so there must be. Also, I said to myself "You have had these types of dreams before and this is a dream now". But then I argued with myself and said that this time it was definitely not a dream. I can't describe how beautiful everything looked. It was as if there was another world up in the sky going on that no one except me knew about. I felt so good. When I woke up, I still felt good and have been thinking about it for the last two days.

I will say that I have had this type of dream several times before. i.e. where I am looking up to the sky and seeing another world going on there but no one else can see it. Back a few years ago, I used to have these dreams but there would be planes flying and as if a war was going on. I could see fighting and shooting. Although this was horrific to me (as someone who is a pacifist), at the same time there was a beauty in what I was seeing.

Also, I would say that tomorrow is the 5th anniversary of my diagnosis of cancer and I am well. I have been planning to celebrate this anniversary for a few weeks.

I hope you can throw some light on this dream.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59, United Kingdom

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Looking up at the sky

Sandra,
From what you have stated your dream{s} seem to be reflecting the positive changes in your life. From cancer patient to cancer survivor. Could you say that a lot of the dialog within the dream reflects your actual condition over the past several years, your debating yourself, belief in something supernatural {Santa}, which is metaphor for believing there was/is a higher source that promotes healing. Your psyche is in conflict, positive vs the negative, with your soul guided and sustained by the positive.
Has it all seemed like a dream?

Your past dreams. The war was within you. And perhaps extending into your waking life {beyond psychological}. But that was a few years back. You are winning the war and the positive attitude is evident in your last dream.

The sublime. Campbell describes art as having a sublime aspect that transcends the horrific, with the monster being seen as a kind of god. Metaphorically the monster and the god are within you, the horrific and the sublime. As horrific as it may seem {for you the fight with cancer over the years} it was also sublime, as if in a dream.

Hope this provides some perspective on your dream.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 57 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

hi,
i don't know how life threatening your illness was,but coming through it all as you have done,is an affirmation of the strength of the human spirit,
your experience may well have changed your outlook on life,
i have often felt that what is missing in life is that magic,that connection with something greater than ourselves,and it is this that we are really searching for,and maybe the dream is echoing this,
you see something that others don't, suggests that you have found that little something that maybe makes life extra special,
as gerard said ,sublime,
having your illness may also have cured something else ,
hope this is of use,
and in anticipation of christmas,have a great one,
regards cavebear

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 53-uk

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? y

I think the interpretations are good and maybe all that can be added is the slight angst present in the dream. that would be disbelief you feel at living a life that is much more positive today than previously. the dream suggests that you may feel some disbelief in this new attitude and this may be why santa claus is used. he does represent good will toward all mankind, the spirit of giving, family, and love. But, he is also a figure that we do not believe in the slightest: he is a childhood fantasy. I think you even hint to this in the dream. You may still need to embrace your new postive mindset some more and maybe even view things with a little more realism, or maybe embrace the realism that we can live with this love in our hearts indefinitely.

Your fight with cancer, as other survivors will tell you, has given you intimate knowledge and realization of what is truly valid and important in life. Stick with that knowledge and forge ahead and enjoy the coming days filled with awe and love for those people, and things you know are really important to you. This is fulfillment and bliss in life.

Irving Yalom, ( http://www.yalom.com/ )a clinical existentialist psychologist, with experience in the psychology of terminally ill patients as he worked in hospices for the terminally ill, has written about this event in the lives of many who have dealt with this type of crisis. Terminally ill patients realize that all that is valid in life is the family: esp. the kids, the parents, and those close to you the care for you, respect you, and love you. Its not the job, or winning the rat race or material goods, or all the otther distractions we have. When face to face with death, we want our family.
This is also intimated in your dream as you dream of symbols that are about family: christmas.
Yes, only you see it, because only you have the real knowledge of it. Many can utter the ideas, but few know it down to the core of their being, like you; thus only you see it in such an intimate way.

embrace it, and spread the word.

good luck, and congratulations.

PS
I don't quite rememeber which one really touches on what I said above, but I think it is either one of the three below:

Love's Executioner,
Momma and the Meaning of Life,
Lying on the couch

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Dear Gerry

So sorry haven't responded to the dream analysis. My computer has been down for a few days. Some interesting things have been raised and I will send a response in another couple of days.

Best wishes

Sandra

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Sandra,
Computers do that. Look forward to your reply.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 57 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Dear Gerard, First of all, I apologise for taking so long to post. First the computer went down and then, when it came back to me, I typed a long reply and lost it! Anyway, things back to normal now.

Gerard first....Yes you are right about the change from patient to survivor. I felt the dream had a lot to do with the cancer and my 5 year anniversary. Also, you were spot on with regards to the supernatural (Santa), being a metaphor for believing there was a higher source. I have a strong belief in God and that helped me through the healing process.

The past dreams of war could well have been to do with the wars inside me. They were before I had cancer and I was racked with anxiety and trying to find solutions to my problems. Strangely you should say about the fight with cancer over the years, as if in a dream. Looking back, that is exactly how I feel. Sometimes it is dreamlike. On teh whole I think the dream was very positive, as you point out and it gave me a boost to start my next five years cancer free.

Cavebear.....My illness was lifethreatening and very serious so coming through it has been a wonder. Having magic in our lives is fantastic. I feel that sometimes I have to be reminded of this and probably that's why I have dreams such as this as it was very magical. Again, you have hit on the right thing as sometimes I feel a little left out with my views. (I love reading Campbell, Jung etc.) so perhaps this is the thing that I see and others don't which crops up often in my dreams.

Carlos....I think since I have recovered from cancer, I do have "moments" of childlike curiosity and belief. Not that I believe in Santa, but there is something very special about Christmas and the Santa story. I did say some time ago that I was going to make the "leap" into the unknown and fully embrace all my new beliefs but haven't done so fully yet. It may be that the dream is telling me to get on with it. As far as what Yalom says, this is entirely true. My thinking has changed enormously. I was so full of anxiety before the illness and so many silly things were important to me that I forgot to enjoy the things that were staring me in the face, including loved ones. You are also right what you say about family. You may have hit upon something closer to me than you think because I have been angry with my sister during the illness as she wasn't as supportive as I had hoped she would be. I will look inbto the books you recommended.

Thank you all again for such insightful thoughts. I would like to wish you all a very very happy Christmas and a wonderful new year. Thanks Gerard for such a wonderful site. Love to all Sandra

thank you Sandra,
and Merry Christmas to you and all your loved ones.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Thats an excellent explanation. I agree totally with the connection that you make. The dream ultimately symbolises the present frame of mind. The celebration symbolises the equivalent celebration in real life. The debarte within yourself clearly shows that this is about your own arguments inside yourself.. the wonderings of someone who is suffgering from cancer. Santa then clearly links in that you are wondering if there is some ultimate authority in the world that hands out good luck. Its also about the emotions associated with santa... a fake and often unreal type of happiness... unlike reality which is harsh...

I often like to reduce a dream to a quote. This dream touches on very abstract themes.Perhaps it mean the following

"I feel so happy that I am cancer free at the moment. My outlook is pretty positive. I keep reminding myself that harsh days could be around the corner. I do not beleive that there is some magic force that it keeping me alive... I have to be realistic. "

Often sky dreams deal with our thoughts about the future. Ourt outlook in general. In particular our feelings about how life can change... both for the good and the bad.
------------------------
Many people write dream diaries. But actually it would be better if they wrote a normal diary. A diary is basically the highlights of the previous day and the things that are important to you. Dreams are exactly the same. Once understood they would symbolize those key moments and turning points in your feelings. So instead of interpreting the dreams try first to guess what the most likely issues are that you would dream about. Think of exactly the same things that you would write in a diary. Once decoded the dreams would symbolize exactly what you think on the key subjects dominating your mind. Think of quotes that capture your feelings such as "my father seems very quiet. I think that something is very wrong. He often starts going quiet when something happens". You may not be able to understand the exact nature of the symbols.

http://unclesirbobby.110mb.com/dreamessayhowtopost.php Interpreting dreams
http://unclesirbobby.110mb.com/dreamessayhowto.php Triggers for dreams
http://unclesirbobby.110mb.com/dreamessay.php Dream dictionary

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 36 scarborough

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? no

stats from 7-14-10 to the present