Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fight or flight

Hi all, I'm facing a big decision and I cannot tell how I feel about it. It involves participating in an activist project that is very important to the group of people already involved. I've been thinking about this project for several days and I had the following dream Monday night which I believe speaks to it:

I'm in a large house, cluttered, but clean. My extended family has come to celebrate and my parents want me to see them, but I just want to sleep.

I'm in a theater, sitting next to my sister. The production hasn't started yet. My sister tells me there is something wrong with the babies in the front row, but that probably someone has already gone for help. There is no crying nor alarmed activity anywhere in the theater - the babies are not in view. I get up and walk over to them. On the way, I think that yes, someone has probably gone for help, but why should that matter? I get to the front row and there are two very small babies in a bassinet. They look more like embryos and I can't tell if they are breathing. I touch their chests several time and they do not wake up. But I think they may be alive. Two rows back is their father in a suit. He is sitting besides other men in suits. I ask him if anyone has gone for help. He turns his head slowly to the side facing the aisle and says vaguely "I think so". I leap up and run out of the theater and tell the security guard near the door that medics are needed right away.

I'm back in the house. I'm awake now and there is a lance in the room. It has one feather attached to it by a leather string. I pick up the lance and it feels good in my hand. The weight of the lance and its smoothness against the palm of my hand are very familiar. I toss it in the air several times and I focus on the straightness of the shaft and the way the feather rises and falls away from it. I know the lance belongs with me.

A lady is very nervous and keeps talking. She says that it was so traumatic. That she just can't get over the babies. She was the one who first went for help and now she is stuck in her fear. She sees the lance and is drawn to it. She asks me if she could have it. I say no.

A few comments. When I thought to myself in the dream that it didn't matter if someone else might have gone for help, it really struck me how absolutely convinced I was of my action. It simply didn't matter if others were helping; I must still act.

Also, when I was younger, I was very interested in Native American cultures and I think the lance and its appearance in the dream comes from this association. I responded to the lance as something sacred, full of power, and very familiar.

As I write this it occurs to me that the nervous lady is my shadow and the calm, pro-active me does not want to give my power to this fear-based me. But in the dream, I felt... covetous and small - very closed-minded - about the lance. Would that be about right? The father of the babies would be my animus - the only clear male in the dream. He is looking away from me and only seems vaguely interested. This is how I approach many problems that other people feel passionate about.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 41, Austin

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Fight or flight

Renee,
On the surface, with the info you provided about what is happening in your waking life, the dream does seem to fit the decision process of becoming 'actively' involved in this group. There may be some indecision about how dedicated to this group you wish to become, the current participants apparently already dedicated to being deeply involved.

The large house is your inner house. A lot going on but since it is clean I would think that might be a direct comment on the positive outlook you have. The extended family would be this new group you are considering joining.

But you are not quite clear about the decision, perhaps you have yet to make the final decision {the production has not started yet}. The babies could very well be the 'cause' this group is dedicated to. For you the experiences would be new {babies}. And the dream seems to be indicating an orderly process in that decision making {no crying nor alarmed activity}. Perhaps since you have yet to cast your vote to join you are not quite sure what the expect {babies not in view}. But the 'cause', the activist project, requires action on your part {what does it matter whether you participate?}. That may be the ultimate question in this decision.

The father {and men} in the suits could be 'authority' figures, or social duty {doing what is required of you}. There is an indifference, often typical of society when it comes to activist projects. This causes alarm for you, a desire to take action {I leap up and run out of the theater and tell the security guard near the door that medics are needed right away}.

By 'lance' I assume you are referring to a weapon. Perhaps your participation is your weapon in defending the causes of this activist group. You could make a difference. It seems to fit with who you are.

Yet there is natural fear. But that fear seems to be overshadowed by the desire to 'give'. The debate is within yourself, yet you are drawn to this cause {depicted by the lance}.

The men could be the animus, for sure. Feeling small {feelings in dreams are important} about the lance may indicate a lack of worthiness but in myths the hero/heroine often feels this way. If you are drawn to something in your life, that thing could very well be part of your bliss. I tend to believe if it captures you then it is something that will open up to new knowledge and adventures in life. Just as I was captured by Joseph Campbell and mythology some 15 years ago, perhaps this is something that will capture you and open you to a new bliss.

But reality is something that must remain a focus. Look at this decision intuitively, those emotions that affect your sensibility to the soul. But also be objective. Sometimes a cause is worth the while but it may not be the right time to make the move. As in the myth of Percivale/Parzival, this knight's quest is punctuated by failure, due to the fact he was not yet ready to receive the 'Grail'. When that time did come, and he became the keeper of the 'Grail'.

Hope this helps in your quest. It does sound like a adventurous undertaking, and a rewarding one.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 57 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Thanks Gerard,

I think that this particular project is not for me. I definitely want to give of myself - I had a another dream where I happily took a part-time job shining shoes to help out a complete stranger.

But then last night I had a dream that I attended a protest organized by the activist group and it was very badly organized and seemed to be doing more harm than good. A female friend of mine showed up who makes sucessful activist documentaries and she left -- seemingly not interested. As she was leaving, she smiled broadly at me. I felt at the time that I wish I didn't have to get back to the protest.

I interpret this woman as my shadow relaying my instincts about this project. I think that had I been convinced of this project, I would not have struggled with it so much - but my desire to be helpful has finally manifested itself (I was wondering if or when it would) and perhaps it was triggered by the invitation to join the group.

Thanks again for your help!

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Renee,
Look at the organization as an aspect your own life and not as a literal experience of attending the protest group. What is being considered as to protest is something about yourself, perhaps the fact that joining this group would do more harm than good {you state the project is not for you}. The dream is merely stating your true feelings/emotions. Your last statement in this post seems to hit it directly on the head.
Also, in the first paragraph you stated something that must be dear to your heart, "to help out a complete stranger". Follow that path, discover what are the best ways to accomplish this and you will find that balance and harmony you seek.

Good luck with your endeavors to serve others. That is indeed the noble cause of the hero/heroine.

Gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Its an excellent dream and given that you have posted lots of helpful background info its possible to make much of it.

I think maybe the symbols mean the following.

STAGE THEATRE : stages often represent things that you say openly and for all to hear. So the dream could represent very public statements that you make showing perhaps your misgivings.

LANCE : You associate this with native americans and its linked to things that are very sacred. Linking perhaps to sacred and very firmly held beliefs.

SISTERS : sisters represent things that we may say to sisters. The way that sisters talk openly and honestly about their misgivings and worries... its a full a frank disscusion.

SECURITY GUARD : represents moments when we are on our guard and worried about what others may say or think

I associate dreams with conceptual ideas and thought processes. Putting together these thought processes from the symbols I would say the dream represents the folowing thought process that covers all of these.

"I have misgivings and worries about this activist group. I a not sure if I want to tell them though. They have strongly held views and I respect them for that. I do not want top offend them by voicing my worries openly for all to hear."
Dream dictionary

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 36 scarborough

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? no

Thanks Gerard and Uncle Sir Bobby (!),

I ended up writing a very frank email to the activist organizer. I simply told her that I didn't feel this project was for me for various personal reasons and that I had been struggling with this decision because I do want to be helpful. I asked if I could participate as a "silent observer" - i.e. not take on any responsability, but just learn more about the organization. I haven't heard back from her, but I feel very peaceful about this decision. In the meantime, I am very attracted to one-on-one type of help and am pursuing that track.

Best,

Lynette

Renee,
Follow that bliss. If you feel comfortable with your decision then it is time to move on. Bliss is an intuitive instinct but objectivity is required in many instances. Listen to your heart but always consider the logical. It seems that has paid off in this decision. Now go for it.

Good luck.

Gerard

a few words on the lance.

The lance seems to be saying that you have a growing sense ofconfidence and assertiveness in yourself. the feather tied to it is soething that ordinarily goes where ever the wind blows. It is now not able to, because it is tied to your bility to be assertive, confident, your piercing and penatrating analytical ability and intellect.

These may not be traits ordinarilly associated with women as they tand for intuition in dreams not rational, thus the scared woman in your dreams trying to grasp the spear.

the babies,

the babies may have been ideas that you did not fully developed but acted on and then realized they were not ready to be acted on. thus you called from help as you saw no one was acting to resolve this issue. this is where you take on the more assertive persona; previously it was inactive (the male that did nothing).

I am sorry to go on about this dream, but the lance is a very positive aspect in this dream tht had been missed.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present