Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Archeological Journey

I had this dream just two days ago.

I am in the corridor of a mall area. There, I meet two woman. One reminds me of the business manager of my apartment complex. They are looking for a store. I believe I know where the store is and take them to it. I lead the way there and into the shop. The store has an esoteric feel to it. It is huge, full of various artifacts and archeological pieces from all periods of history. Walking past one table/display, I see a skull that is as if on a pole, or piece of a pole, as if it is totemic. It is laying on a table, in a museum quality display case. It is of a brownish color, as though it has been tanned/preserved. I see the skull spin around on the pole one time. After it spins, I see the jaws of the skull move as it speaks. I say something to the effect of, "the spirit of it speaks." I continue walking through the store/shop. At the rear of the store, I am walking through an aisle near the back wall. A man is now leading the way for me and the business manager continues to follow behind me. As we pass by another display table, the man turns slightly around, toward me, to point out that there is a wild boar under the table. He then taps me a few times, gently, on the shoulder. At that, the boar reaches out to scrap at/touch my feet. I seem to understand that the boar will not harm me. Yet, goodness, “It is a wild boar," I think. The man tells me that the boar only touched me because he did (because the man did, when he patted me on the shoulder). I continue following the man through a door at the rear of the store. He feels helpful, that he wants to show me something. We begin ascending a narrow spiraling staircase. The passageway/stairway is dark. After several turns up the stairway, I turn to see if my apartment business manager is still following me. I see that she has left off at a landing in the light. I feel that she feels she cannot follow, does not want to follow. I wonder if it is because it is dark.///End Dream.

I wake, not alarmed, but feeling I have had an important dream that is trying to inform and help me. I live in an apartment. I did recently visit with the Apartment Complex Business Manager to renew my lease. My son (20) returned home to live with me a few months ago, is a despaired state. He's not lived with me since he was 14. He did struggle with some hard core drugs and was in and out of rehab between the ages of 15 and 16. When he came to be with me the understanding was for him to get a fresh start on life, seek professional help, learn some personal responsibility. He is in therapy and visits a Jungian psychiatrist for medication management. The two of them (the therapist and psychiatrist) are now consulting. My son seems to be improving little. He has been going to NA, but it is just a game to him, that he plays along with. I had to take his prescription meds for safekeeping and begin dosing them to him myself, because I found he was abusing them. I have found evidence that he is self-medicating with street drugs. He is not accepting responsibility for his life, his obligations, or his well-being. He is lying constantly. There have been various dynamics of my relationship with my son that I was reluctant to see, but my dream maker (in recent previous dreams) made sure that I did. I am taking a hard look at the dynamics in my home, to manage the business of my home (apartment). I think the apartment business manager (me) in this dream tells of this movement. We go into a historical "store." I get that it perhaps speaks of our (mine and my son's) personal history, but that it is a store in a mall area also seems to speak of the collective. Addiction is a collective ill. And I do understand that such patterns are passed on generationally. I used drugs when I was a young teen. Most of my immediate family has one addiction or another. This store is full of ancient artifacts, the esoteric (hidden) things you do not find just anywhere. The skull is ancient and preserved. It could be dream thinking, but I guess it is the skull of a woman. Is it warning me of danger in my home environment? Or is it some like an oracle? For I have the sense that this skull, the spirit that speaks through it, can be consulted, but I do not recall the words the skull spoke in the dream. Is this some part of my own psyche? I trust the man. I do not mind following him. He feels helpful and protective. He calls my attention to the boar. He wants me to know the boar is there. Under his auspices, I am safe from the boar's aggression. Is this my own aggressive tendencies under the table that he wants me to see and help me work through? Or, is he showing me the aggressive energy under the table in my home - the dynamics/complexes existing between my son and I - and my learning to/trying to confront his addiction? Is the man (animus figure) telling me that I will be safe it I listen to/follow his guidance? The spiraling staircase feels a positive symbol. Though it is a dark passageway, it is an ascension movement. Is he leading me up to greater consciousness? What has be just brought into consciousness for me, in this dream. That the store is of an esoteric quality, I think speaks to the unconscious. I end up finding the apartment business manager has gotten off in a landing in the light. I see her there, surrounded by light, and I imagine she feels she would prefer not to continue this journey up the dark stair case. Does she reflect that the business manager me would prefer not to get into the nitty gritty grunt work of this healing? Prefer not to see the things that are hard to see? In actual life, this woman is not on such a journey as mine, but lives more superficially.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 41, Overland Park, Kansas

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes, several years ago

Re: Archeological Journey

Kristi,
Either I or Cavebear will give a detailed interpretation later today. Such a long dream requires great examination and my morning is already full. If Cavebear doesn't give his impressions before the day is over I will.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 57 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Thank you, Gerard. More intuitions have since come to me regarding this dream. I'll save them until I provide feedback on your and/or antoher's response.

Kristi

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Embrace,
Apartment complex, store. Are we looking at aspects of your unconscious where deep emotions are stored? The apartment manager is charged with these various emotions. The skull also could represent hidden things, tarnished with time, yet preserved for eternity {as long as your life}. The totemic pole may represent the rights of passage, aging with wisdom. There are inner forces ready to speak to you, revealing the deepest and darkest of secrets {yours}. And leading the way is the animus. Taming the wild beast within, gently leading you to those dark folds of your unconscious.

Although you have given a lot of info about your son, this dream is about you. It undoubtedly includes these emotions about your son but the text is geared toward you {all dreams are about the dreamer with relationships a part of that person's psyche}. And i do believe you have discovered much of the dream symbology. But what is it deep in your unconscious that the dream is wanting to address? Journey further down the steep staircase to find out. That takes courage {masculine trait}. It is esoteric so it must be about restricted aspects you possess.

"I end up finding the apartment business manager has gotten off in a landing in the light. I see her there, surrounded by light, and I imagine she feels she would prefer not to continue this journey up the dark stair case. Does she reflect that the business manager me would prefer not to get into the nitty gritty grunt work of this healing? Prefer not to see the things that are hard to see? In actual life, this woman is not on such a journey as mine, but lives more superficially."

Can you answer that question now? You seem to have put your finger on part of the dream's intent. Focus on that and see where it leads. Add to that the possibilities of deeper secrets that may still linger in the depths of your psyche. That may lead to the final answer.

Let me know your impressions and what other revelations you have about the dream. A little 'couch' time may solve this mystery.

Gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hello, Gerard ... and thank you. I hope to have the time to respond this evening.

Embrace (Kristi)

Hi Gerard,

Yes, the dream is about me. The dynamics of what is occurring in my son's life is as a catalyst for more of my own unconscious material to surface. I recognize that just as I would prefer not to see the pain in my son that has caused him to turn to drugs, I would also prefer not to see and feel much of what is stored within me.

I ended up having to ask my son to leave my home this week. Part of that certainly is my learning tough love, but my decision to do so also brought up my negative mother complex. Actually, a lot of this has been being exorcised since his arrival several months ago.

It is not ironic that I am also reading Marion Woodman's book, "Addicted to Perfection," at this time - a reading that elicits a river of tears in seeing my own self in what she and her analysands share therein.

The whole scenario with my son causes a recall of my own early years when I too struggled with drugs in my need to numb myself from the pain of my childhood - in my seeking the ecstatic/numinous - the relief from the too hard to feel effects of life, at a much younger age even than he. But in my own young life, there was a saving grace, an inner voice that told me how valued I was, despite my family environment which did not at all reflect any sense of value for one's sovereignty of being. And I was able to stop, out of love for myself - though things for years remain to be healed.

In looking at my son and our early years, I saw my need to have him be so "perfect" (so clean, well dressed, well behaved, well appearing, etc.) was a result of my non-acceptance of my own self. Though there were as well bright and loving moments, I was extremely demanding with him. If he could be all right, then I would be all right. It goes deeper due his being a male, for I see now that I also had a subconscious fear that he may grow to be just like my father - a molester of children. I see that I unconsciously projected all these shadowy feelings onto my son.

I found myself going to sleep the other evening, snuggling my wild boar.

In studying wild boar, I found that they are (normally) only a danger when cornered. As a child, I lived like this, more instinctually, out of fear for what may come, always on guard, always protecting - and always cornered, caged in an unbearable situation. In looking again to the wild boar in my dream, though he was under a table, I saw the aspect of he as if also in a cage, given the way he scrapped at my feet.

Some of the totemic symbology associated with the wild boar is that his medicine teaches the balance of the inner masculine. The animus figure that is leading the way appeared as a very earthy man - and I had the sense that his spirit was as one with the boar - that he had tamed the boar and hence could also show me how to tame the boar. So, very positive.

Yes, courage is needed - to see and face this aspect of myself with mercy and compassion. A part of me would prefer to stay enveloped in the comfort of light instead of journeying into the inner darkness that makes rebirth possible. Can I find comfort in the velvety black reaches of myself? I must.

I did have an association of rebirth in considering the skull. Death speaking. Time for an old way of being to die. Time to embrace that which was left and forgotten but still lives. Time to allow my past to teach me.

It is also noteworthy that you mention courage, because this is also one of the qualities associated with boar. And in looking on at my son's condition, part of which is the lack of truth telling - the ability to be honest with himself, I had to review the history of the men in my family, hence "my" history - and saw that all the men of my family (hence, me) lacked courage. While a glimpse of boar's courage would reflect that demonstrated in defense, this is not the quality of courage I need. It is the courage to be vulnerable that is needed. To tame the defensiveness which will allow the opening for the grace of healing and understanding to pour in.

Notwithstanding that this dream is of me, as a mother, I cannot help but see what my son has inherited in his life with me and pray greatly for his well-being - and wholeheartedly consider the value of owning my own shadow and how this may help to free him.

There is much more around all of this. A very powerful dream, that continues to ask my attention.

Embrace

Embrace,
Ah! ha!. Marion Woodman's Addition to Perfection. A must read for all women. And it wouldn't hurt for men to read it also.
I can see where you have gained some of your insights. Woodman is a favorite of mine. Her Dreams: Language of the Soul has provided me with much understanding of Jungian dream psychology. She has taken Jungian thought to the next level.

I belief you have a grasp of both inner self and the outer needs that are required to confront your struggle. Of course that doesn't solve the problems but the awareness can be of great help. My hope is you can discover a remedy to your son's addictions and provide relief in both his life as well as your own. It is a difficult path to travel and staying strong can be difficult. Marion Woodman is as good advice as there is. If there is anything we can contribute at the Forum, we are available and willing to do what we can.

Gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

Hello Gerard,

Yes. Marion is wonderful! And I concur, definately a "must read."

I am going to look at the other title by Marion Woodman that you mention.

There were a few dreams before this one, when the gravity of "my" and my son's condition was coming to light. Though they told of the gravity, they were also very positive in that they revealed great healing, strength and the inner and outer resources that will carry me through.

Thank you.

Kristi

stats from 7-14-10 to the present