Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
brother and me

Last night I had this dream in which my brother and I were in this gigantic swimming pool (salt water)
and there was one alligator in there too and we did not know.
All of a sudden we see the alligator, so my brother starts swimming fast to try and get away from the alligator.
I, for some reason, just stood still?
My brother is yelling and screaming, "get away, get away....
I hear a loud boom like lightning and the whole sky opens up and I see this angel coming down with this
ladder for me to climb out of the pool.
I just get on the ladder and start climbing up..not knowing what happened to my brother....
Then I woke up.....
Can anyone please tell me what this could mean?

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 flushing new york

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: brother and me

Hi Connie,

The image that I see when reading your dream is about "Jacob's Ladder", where the angels ascend and descend between heaven and earth. This may well represent the re-establishment of the "Self-Ego Axis".

The image of your brother and the alligator reminds me of a "sacrifice" of sorts. Maybe even "Fratricide". Please don't tell me your brother's name is Joseph or Joe. There is a very biblical feel to your dream so iwouldn't be at all suprised if it is connected with Cain and Abel or Joseph, or Jacob who was Joseph's father.

The dream seems predominantly archetypal, which seems a bit strage seeing your bothers image is in it.

I don't think I am of much help with this.

Stephen

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 49 Sydney Australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Connie,
The inclusion of your brother in your dream could have two meanings. One may be that the dream is addressing an emotional issue that you and your brother share/shared. The other would use your brother as a symbol for your animus {masculine aspects}. It could be doing both.

To determine which best applies, look back to see if there was something earlier in life that you and your brother experienced together, an emotional issue. Something that is threatening or you were fearful of.

In such a case you may have 'frozen' up over this issue while your brother tries {and perhaps} succeeds in getting away fro the issue. His warning may have been a real life warning.

The lightening may suggest you are now or later on after the experience begun to realize the emotional impact. This may have caused or does cause {when you think about it} an emotional release {whole sky opens up}. The angel may represent a courier of an important message from your unconscious. This may be the 'divine' intervention that helps you 'climb out' from this emotional conflict {confronting the emotional conflict is a step in the process of healing}.

If there was not an emotional conflict that you shared with your brother he then would represent your masculine aspects. This would suggest you need to use these 'masculine abilities' to successfully overcome the emotional conflict.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn. {Nashville}

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi Connie,
I was watching tv last night and I heard something that made me think of your dream. It was,

"For something to live, something has to be sacrificed"

I don't know if this means anything to you or not.

Stephen

Hello Stephen....Thank You for the reply...No, my brothers name is neither....it is Vincent!

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

Thanks Gerard for the reply...my brother and I got along nicely when we were little but when we were teenagers we didn't really bother with each other cause we both had our friends and school and were busy. My brother was very selfish when he was little and as far as I am concerned was this way all the time. He took everything when my parents passed away..is living in the house that we grew up in, took my mother's jewelry when my mother specifically said in the hospital to make sure I get this...I really can't think why the alligator was only chasing him?
Maybe because I have a hate for the way he has treated me since my folks are gone..I really don't know why I had this dream?

Hi Connie,

The purpose of personifications in the dreams is a way for the dreamer to see traits that they themselves, exhibit. So if that is the case then the way you described your brother as 'selfish' (defined as inconsiderate of others, or thoughtless) maybe showing you a part of yourself that you haven't acknowledged yet.

How could I have forgotten about the biblical story of Exodus, where the Pharoh demanded the first born male of each family was to be thrown into the Nile to be devoured by the crocodiles. This story is about power, greed, treachery and hypocricy. Strangely enough, which is the symbol of the 'crocodile' in the Westeners mind.

What suprised me about what you wrote about your brother, was that through a lifetime of experiences and memories, these are the words you choose to use to describe your own brother. Why do you think that is? What we tend to dispise in other people is really an encounter with our own shadow. The aspects of our sleves that we deny or supress.

So here is a question for you Connie. What material objects have you surrounded yourself with, and how did you acquire them? I don't mean to insult you with this question. it just seems the obvious one to ask based on your portrayal of your bother.

I must say that my own sister acted similarly when our parents died. One sister got the bulk of the money, and the sister that didn't was very resentful. It is a hard time for any child to survive their parents and it should be a time of homage to them. But in our family's case it became about materialism and not about remembering our parents. It also became about anger and hate. Time that was lost and is irretrievable. Just like the clock that was swollowed by the crocodile in 'Peter Pan'.

Stephen

Hi Stephen...First of all I am disabled due to spinal stenosis and other problems with my spine since 1999. I get a very small amount of disability since I have not worked that many years full-time.
I had 5 children and my ex-husband wanted me home with them when they were babies...no one else was going to care for them but me.
My ex went to work. When they got a little older I got a part-time job at the school..and was home by the time they got home.
When my parents passed away my brother took it all..so there are no material anything that I have...a big fat Zero....
I believe my brother was angry that he lived home and had to care for my parents cause I was married and had five kids. My brother never got married and is still single with his law career.
Yes, he has been an attorney for years and has no
compassion for me that I am disabled and live on
peanuts to put it mildly.
He did not even have the decency to give me any money when they passed. I know my parents had a will made up cause they told me when I was 20 years old about this.
The only reason I could think of me having this dream is because I actually despise my brother for the horrible way he has treated me and that's about it!

I understand, Connie. So, the issue is that all the symbols in the dream are aspects of yourself (attitudes/beliefs/perceptions). So what do you think it is telling you?

What is the real cause or your anger, Connie? Try to stop projecting it onto Vincent. Own it.

The root cause of anger comes from being hurt, being fearful or being frustrated.

Stephen

Connie,
I don't see how your actual brother fits within this dream if there was not a shared experience of escaping from some thing {alligator}. That would naturally lead me to look at him as an animus figure. But that too seems to have its limitations. Perhaps we should concentrate on the symbolism of the alligator in context to the relationship of both your actual brother and as an animus figure.

In the dream it was not evident at first the alligator was present. When it was evident you try to escape from it. Your brother {animus} swims fast to get away but you stand still. Your brother is offering support to get away from this treachery/deceit/danger {that would be opposite of your view of your actual brother}. It is an angel {your higher Self} that provides an escape. The ladder may be key to your escape. It could represent reaching a higher level of awareness which has helped you climb out of the pool. Often a swimming pool would represent a 'small emotional issue' but since it is made of salt water it could represent something deeper within the unconscious {salt water is usually associated with the ocean which is symbolic of the deeper unconscious}. And let's not forget what you are doing in te swimming pool; swimming within that deeper unconscious world.

Could this dream have something to do with your disabilities {spinal stenosis}? How debilitating is your disease? The disease may be what you are trying to escape from. Your brother would represent an animus aspect that is attempting to help you escape. And could there be the possibility you think of your disease as being associated with your brother's {real life} attitude? Dreams can have a odd way of using symbols to express emotional issues. Since the literal interpretation of your brother in this dream {relatives and close relationships being one of the few instances where a person is used as a literal representation} does not seem to fit then the alligator must be explained. Could that alligator be your spinal stenosis and the emotional strain it has placed on you {what you are trying to escape from?}.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn. {Nashville}

HI Connie,

What was happening in your real life in the couple of years leading up to 1999?

Stephen

Yes Gerard...the spinal stenosis I have is a chronic condition only to get worse..some days I have trouble walking because of the fibromyalgia and sciatica...I am wondering if the alligator does have something to
do with this like you said...thanks for your interpretation and Stephen's too!

Hi Connie,

I had a dream last night and it seemed to link with your post. I think it's about your projection. I get the sense of your brother being framed - wrongfully accused - scapegoat and if this is what is being projected onto him, then it would then mean that it is residing in your unconscious, meaning you are unaware of the 'scapegoat' archetype being dominant in your psyche. I get the sense that 'scapegoat' and 'victimisation' are closely linked, except one is based on an untruth. And I think this is key. I suggest you start accessing factual details about things that have occured in your past.

Now just humor me here. The spinal condition your have had to endure is skelatal. It is what enable us to stand erect. What if the ailment is somatic. If it is, then it could well be a message of "standing up for oneself". This would work in very nicely with the scapegoat archetype. If a person is wrongfully accused and they don't stand up for themselves, they become the scapegoat.

What do you think, Connie?

Stephen

Hi Connie,

Forgive me. I neglected to put the whole thing under one wrapper. It is your Animus that needs to be put under the microscope. What you are projecting onto your brother is the dominant energy of the Animus. That is why the materialistic aspect didn't make any sense with you, personally, but it is "the other" to which you must become acquainted with. The inner world is reflected in the outer world and vice-a-versa. It is the Exodus story as being played out by your unconscioius Animus, but being projected onto your brother. This explains why your ego feels the victimisation. The Animus energy is of a higher level, which puts the ego in a lower position.

The most passive way of doing it is to start writing. Write, write and write, about these issues of materialism. What you feel it is all about. Write about 4 or 5 pages and then start writing questions and see what responses come out of the end of your pen.

Stephen

yes, thanks Stephen..I am going to write...Good Idea! God Bless You!!! Connie

stats from 7-14-10 to the present