Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trying to Get Home, Ending Up in the Airport

My dreams are vivid and colorful. I can experience all five senses in them. I try to interpret my dreams on my own, but this particular dream I had recently is a real a doozie.
First of all, you have to know a little background for this to make any sense. I grew up in a very religious family (southern baptist) and up until my early 20s I was very active in the church.
In the beginning of my dream I was riding in a blue van with this woman named Carol. I haven't seen her in over eight years and she's someone I used to teach sunday school with. We were driving around this small community I used to live in up in North Dakota, picking up kids for Sunday School. I remember it was taking a really long time and I was feeling agitated. I wanted to go home. It seemed to be taking all morning and I asked her to stop at a small convenience store. I went in and used the bathroom and got a drink of water. I had never been to the convenience store and it was very retro- like the 1970s. When I got a drink of water it was even out of a water fountain. I was very quick, but by the time I got outside, I realized that Carol had left me. I had no money, and no cell phone with me. I couldn't use the phone booth because I had no money. It was very hot and I had no shoes on. I was wearing a long skirt (which I normally don't wear). I decided that I was going to have to walk home myself. I started walking home and it took all day. I live in another state! There were a lot of very steep hills, cars trying to hit me, creepy strangers, etc. I realized it was getting dark and I needed to get home. I kept thinking about my kids. I came into a town. It was my hometown, but bigger. I looked for street signs and came across a 'maple street' sign- my house is on maple street. My feet were very tired and sore, but I decided to start running. As I was running, the stars in the sky were turning above me, and a man appeared in the stars with a rattle. The rattle matched the sound as my feet hit the pavement. All of the sudden my feet didn't hurt anymore and I was running very fast, but in slow motion. All of the sudden I realized I was on main street, and for a bit my dream skipped back to a recurring dream I had as a child, about being lost in town and having to wait for someone to find me behind a broken down building with neon lights and hiding from strangers. This time, I ran right past them. All of the sudden I realized I was in a mall in an airport. People were leaving. I looked out into the terminal and it was nearly empty. It was now very dark outside. I was stuck in the airport terminal and the airport people were closing everything. I was jumping over barriers and hopping onto conveyor belts to try to get out before it closed. I couldn't find the front doors out. Then I woke up. What does it all mean?

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 33, South Dakota

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? No

Re: Trying to Get Home, Ending Up in the Airport

Ruth,
We have something in common. Being raised Southern Baptist in the south. I also attended the Church of Christ {for those who do not know Southern Baptist and the Church of Christ are two of the most prevalent churches in the south and Catholics are in the minority}. I consider myself a recovering church of christ.

I get the sense your dream is addressing your internal life, a search for something. It is dealing with the past {Carol, Sunday school as well as the retro-70s} but more so with your present condition {as all dreams do}.

The trip to the bathroom and getting the drink of water may be signaling a change in your life. Bathrooms are were we eliminate those things that the body/psyche does not need. After you have done that you take a drink of water. That may symbolize the emotional, intuitive, receptive, spiritual, feminine side of self. You are beginning to actively engage those aspects of your life. You are left alone to confront whatever is ahead of you in your desire to return 'home'.

Then there are experiences within the dream of being lost and searching. The examples of fear and running area apart of the search, the insecurities and difficult tasks of putting it all into perspective. But it isn't a search so much for a physical place as it is a psychological identity.

And there is a constant to that search. Your children. Now that may indeed be addressing your own protective nature for your real children but it may also be symbolic of the desire to protect, and project, the need for your own inner child {skipped back to a recurring dream I had as a child}. This desire to search those aspects of your life provides you with a new energy to proceed in that endeavor. Reconciling the past and understanding the needs of the inner child as it had to do with the waking life experiences of your actual childhood {going back to the days of being a southern baptist with the need to reconcile that to your present frame of mind}.

The last of the dream would be addressing your present condition. Emptiness, darkness, no way out. Stuck in a place you do not wish to be in.

In looking at the dream and the fact you felt it important to include personal info about your past religious affiliations, could this involve a spiritual search? If you are experiencing difficult times in other aspects of your life then those would be a part of he dream. If not then I would think the dream is addressing that spiritual search. And the last part of the dream seems to point to a dire need to find resolution to that before you will be able to find balance and harmony in your life.

Let me know your thoughts and perhaps we can learn more about the possibilities of your dream. Perhaps we have more in common having to do with that 'baptist' upbringing.

gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Wow, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I was literally born into the southern baptist religion, and although my father, a southern baptist preacher, did his best to indoctrinate me (I've read the entire bible numerous times and went to church at least 3 times a week)-- I never fully accepted the teachings. I've always been very different from the entire family and people I know. I had a very difficult childhood and there was abuse, so that could point to the protection of the inner child. Despite everything (and against the wishes of the church) I went on to earn a Bachelors and Masters Degree in Biology and Chemistry. I went through a very difficult period in my life where I became a complete cynic and an atheist. I am also Native American. These past few years I embarked on a personal journey to find out who I am, and I began to attend ceremonies. While I embrace much of their teachers (about environmentalism, tolerance & openness, balance, the nature of the spirit)-- I've come to realize that I don't quite fit there either. I consider myself a spiritual person, but I think I have to accept that I may never find a 'religion' or spirituality that fits my belief system, so based on your interpretation maybe this dream is about that as well. I just wish everyone could accept that we are all different, and be okay with that.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Follow-Up To Interpretation

Ruth,
Thanks for the follow up response. It will help others understand the power of dreams and how dreams can be understood with a proper education in Jungian psyche.

As for your spiritual search. Being Native American you probably have a better sense of the wonderful relationship natives have with the earth. I too do not have any one spiritual concept I hold to but Native American spirituality comes as close to my spiritual beliefs as any other. Perhaps you can start from there and design your own spiritual identity, absent any dogma that does not fit with your natural psyche. That is what I have done and I have never felt more spiritual, lived a more spiritual life than I do today.

Are you familiar with Joseph Campbell and/or Carl Jung? You may want to inspect the pages I have created at Myths-Dreams-Symbols and see what they have to say. I believe you will find common ground in their philosophies and come away with new knowledge that will help in your spiritual search. Both were very spiritual men and believed that the spiritual aspect of the psyche was 'royal road' to a balanced and harmonious life. And they also believed it was the psychological aspect of the human condition that we discovered that true spirit which is the soul.

In closing I want to once again quote Chief Seattle from his famous letter to President Grant. If only we all could recognize the importance of a proper relationship with the planet.

From Chief Seattle's Famous Letter to President Grant

You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin.
Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother.

Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.

This we know: The earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth. This we know.

All things are connected like the blood which unites one family. All things are connected.

Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth.

Man did not weave the web of life: he is merely a strand in it.

Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.

Even the white man, whose God walks and talks with him as friend to friend, cannot be exempt from the common destiny.

We may be brothers after all.

We shall see.

One thing we know, which the white man may one day discover, our God is the same God. You may think now that you own Him as you wish to own our land; but you cannot. He is the God of man, and His compassion is equal for the red man and the white.

This earth is precious to Him, and to harm the earth is to heap contempt on its Creator.

The whites too shall pass; perhaps sooner than all other tribes. Contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste.

But in your perishing you will shine brightly, fired by the strength of God who brought you to this land and for some special purpose gave you dominion over this land and over the red man.

That destiny is a mystery to us, for we do not understand when the buffalo are all slaughtered, the wild horses are tamed, the secret corners of the forest heavy with scent of many men, and the view of the ripe hills blotted by talking wires.

Where is the thicket? Gone.
Where is the eagle? Gone.
The end of living and the beginning of survival.

twat twam asi,
gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi, its been awhile since my previous post, but would like your input on a dream that seems to be related to the previous dream I talked about in the post.
The dream starts right after my elderly parents visited us. I don't remember what we talked about, but soon after, we receive a call from a woman at the airport, and she says that there is a flight leaving soon, but they wouldn't give us an exact time, instead, they say, 'as soon as you are ready, but don't wait too long.' We do not know where we are going, or for how long, but we both seem to look upon this trip as important and urgent. We are both running around the house trying to pack what we need, and we are unsure as to what we should take. The wierd thing is, as I go from room to room to collect things, it would be a different room in each one of the previous homes we've lived in over our lives. It was a little eerie because I didn't realize I remembered so much about my previous living arrangements, even going back to when I was a small child. But anyway, in each room I would find something I wanted to take, and sometimes I would find things covered in dust and spiderwebs, and in my dream I would think that I shouldn't remove the dust and spiderwebs, that I should take everything as I found it. I ended up taking a lot of old books for some reason, and a lot of odds and ends- a few clothing items, survival supplies...etc. But when all was said and done we didn't even have that much luggage to take. We didn't have time to change, and we literally left in whatever we were wearing, and I didn't even have time to shower or fix my hair and makeup, which was completely unlike me. I asked about my kids, and was told that they had already packed and were on the way there. We got into a taxi and we were being driven to the airport when I woke up. What does it mean? Am I right in believing this is related to the previous dream or is this completely different? Why are airports a recurring theme?

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Follow-Up to Interpretation

Ruth,
Let's look at this dream and see what it has to offer and then compare it with your previous dream to determine the relevance.

The opening to the dream with the visiting elderly parents may set the framework of the dream message. Since this is the only mention of your 'elderly' parents in the first person it may be it symbolizes your own inner wisdom with a less a focus on your true parents. The rest of the dream includes the word 'we', your total psyche, which suggests that possibility.

The trip you are contemplating taking is an inner trip. Because you have already started on that inner journey you may be at that point of true transformation, 'you are ready' for it. But the outside pressures of life and social duty {the social dragon that must be slain to realize the true self} are always present and if you 'refuse the call' don't take this opportunity you may miss out on this opportunity. Or there may be a fear of a lost opportunity. Either way your wise unconscious, if not conscious mind "look upon this trip as important and urgent".

Going from room to room is that inner search {psychological}. The rooms are the different aspects of your life/psyche. The different times suggest a search of the past which psychologically may mean a reconciliation of those different experiences and their influences. It is often we do not remember or realize the importance of past experiences as a determining factor of who we are in the present. And it is often we are afraid to dust off the cobwebs because of what we may learn about ourselves. So goes the web of the individual life.

The learning aspect is what you take with you {books}. And the experience {and wisdom} of surviving the negatives in life. You let go the concerns of the ego {I didn't even have time to shower or fix my hair and makeup} in the search for Self. And because you have already begun to reconcile those negatives in your life there is less 'baggage' to carry. Since you have already consciously begun the initial steps in your inner journey {my kids, and was told that they had already packed and were on the way there} you are now ready to take the next step {taxi} in your inner journey.

The first posted dream does seem to be related to this dream. The end of the first dream is addressing your present condition, '{emptiness, darkness, no way out. Stuck in a place you do not wish to be in'. Could it be you have your back to the wall and must either make that decision to transform yourself or to live in that dark place you wish to escape?

gerard

stats from 7-14-10 to the present