Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
River Street

(Follow on dream from 'The Edge of the World' -- dreamt one night earlier.)

'River Street'

I had a multitude of things to do. There was something i was responsible for, like an event or an opening. My jobs ranged from the basic tasks of unlocking doors to guest houses to giving the speech. Prior to the event there was a hullabaloo about damage to Sally's apartment. (Sally is an ex-friend: someone I was very close to, but whose life became consumed by addictions.) I was to meet Sally at the door, so she could hand over the key. She and I were weaving our way back to the event. She was trying to get out of doing work, I was trying to get it done as fast as possible. I carried large amounts of things in my handbag -- speeches, lists, coats, as well as normal personal things.

Suddenly I was amidst a river of water that welled up to my waist. From somewhere I'd received an inner tube and began floating about; enjoyably. The event I was rushing to prepare seemed to be getting less and less important. A piece of paper with a portion of the speech fell out of my purse. I worried only briefly, then let it go. Susie was now gone as well.

I floated into a young Dylan (child --I used to babysit -- of a mentor of mine when I was an adolescent). Dylan was floating along, but did not have an inner tube. I felt an instinctive protection role and scooped him up along with me. Mark (his father -- the mentor) was on the edge, trying to wade in, but being stopped by the cold of the rushing water. I was aware it was cold, but knew my movement through it was keeping me warm enough. I asked Mark if he'd like my tube, so he could float with his kids. There was a little baby girl introduced at this time (also Mark's). Mark seemed to like this idea, but yet it appeared as if he was moving further and further away from me. Now I had both his children in my arms and had two inner tubes. I put the baby girl inside one, kept seated myself on the other and held both of the kids under each of my arms. The water took us at a great pace, swirling around, up and down urban streets and past great buildings. I was aware of needing to give the kids back to Mark. But I couldn't see him.

Then, just as suddenly as it had appeared, the water dried up and I could see Mark in the distance at an intersection. He was making his way towards us where I would hand back the kids.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 39, Canadian living in England

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: River Street

Angela,
Here are some thoughts to your 'river' dream.

Unlocking doors within the unconscious. The damaged apartment {Sally's} is that part of you that has been damaged {look at sally and determine what is similar to your life}. You want to do opposite of her, not make the same mistakes. There are a lot of pressures in your life.

You are within the unconscious, partly submerged {this may be addressing your conscious exploration of that inner self-inner tube}. Those outer things are less important. The speech is the outer self that needs to be let go. Not to worry, pieces are slowly letting go.

There is always resistance from the ego to opening up to the unconscious self.
The children are the inner children, seeking balance and harmony. You have moved away from your mentor and are on your own. The task is to protect that inner self and do it without assistance.

Mark is your Yoda, your spiritual mentor. Moving back to the inner sanctum where the Self is the master. This is the example to live by, trusting the inner child to that higher self.

The personal relationship with Mark may have other meanings in the dream. Only you can discern those. But the dream does seem to be addressing that inner search. The part about the children may be directed in some way to your own adolescence.

'The Edge of the World' dream may be about getting past the unconscious barriers. When you reach that threshold of the level you are at in life, there is resistance from the ego. I sense this may be the position you are at in life. You may want to review Campbell's steps of the Hero's Journey. Look especially at the 'Initiation' stage and review the similarities to your path. Mai-Mai may be your goddess. She will lead you through the wilderness within.

On the other hand Mark may be the same symbolic figure as Mai-Mai. Self unification does not have to be represented by a woman. Balance and harmony in life is the final destination. Unification of the opposites. A path that leads inward, to the higher Self and higher aspirations.

gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Gerard, wow! This is great!

What is similar to Sally in me has to be the 'need' for control. She is so out of control, she's let go; and I'm so used to being in control, I can't let go... A fine line there. And for me the damage has been done to the sense of fun and laughter -- something I used to share with Sally. It would make perfect sense that she is represented as trying to get out of doing things (surrendering to substances instead of doing the inner work), while I'm moving towards the inner work.

Inner tube/inner self. Excellent! I hadn't seen that, but should have. And I like the emphasis that the outer things/self needs to be let go. I am feeling a shift here. After 4 years in a different country, I now have real friends around me, not just acquaintances, and that allows me to shed that personae I'd had to inhabit when I first arrived.

Heeyyy... I *think* understand the children! Dylan is my inner poet, like a Dylan Thomas (name connection for me). I'm starting to get comfortable writing a new kind of poetry. Laura (Mark's female baby girl child) is my inner novelist. I have been writing a novel about the development of the west (like 'Laura' Ingles Wilder...!). Mark's Laura had holes in her heart at birth that stunted her physical growth. This novel has also been stunted during this transition of country. And, of course it's all inner self, since all the writing connects to the deeper, unconscious self.

Mark was the first of three mentors in my life. We have no connection anymore. My memories of him are fond ones, but the relationship disappeared in a strange and distant way. Perhaps this is why the water suddenly dries up?

Mai-Mai was an always smiling, always hard-working lady. Her grasp of the English language was basic, but she managed somehow to communicate in a way that went far beyond words. Hmmm... words...writing again. That is a woman who could represent harmony, definitely. She was a cook/nurturer. This is my role in the home now. Mai-Mai worked double shifts, which is how life has felt for me since coming to England. And she always worked while smiling and with laughter. Which, as I said at the beginning, is what I'm missing!

Very great! Thanks a million, Gerard!

Angela.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 39, Canadian living in England

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Angela,
I am so glad we were able to determine the dream message. Of course it is you who is able to put it all together. The best I can do is offer possibilities. But it does make the interpretation much easier when the dreamer has taken the time to do their own 'soul' search and is capable of understanding the relationships of the symbols and metaphors to the waking life. If you have other dreams you feel important please post them and perhaps we can see progress through those unconscious experiences.

gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

stats from 7-14-10 to the present