Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swimming

I am at a friend's house which is in another country from where I live. It has changed its shape, size everything beyond recognition, with a huge pool. My friend's stepdaughter, who is 11 but small for her age is swimming with college aged friends. I'm wondering, why is she hanging out with college aged friends. Its a snobby university. I decide I want to swim too. One of the guys tells me to put on something ugly. I think to myself, not, and think about my most attractive white colored swim suit which has a very plunging neckline...I leave to go get it. I've changed into my older suit though which is blue and athletic without the plunging neckline.

Out of the blue, rather, darkness, for some reason its very very dark, a young, athletic petite slim dark girl appears out of nowhere. I literally tower over her, she is so short. She is very well built and strong and muscular and slim. It is so dark she seems to emerge out of the darkness and is composed of that darkness, by dark I don't mean her skin color, she just emerged, as it were, from the shadows, literally, but there was nothing shadowy about her, in fact she was very well-built and strong and athletic and she blocked my path and physically and with force was able to restrain and detain me. She was trying to stop me from going swimming, and I pushed her back and was determined to go swimming and after some struggle with her I woke up knowing that I got past her.....

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 37/ Europe

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Swimming

May,
My first sense about the first part of the dream is it involves 'transformations' of some part of you. The friend's house has changed beyond recognition suggesting perhaps some aspect of your life has changed or needs changing. There may be a need to recognize these changes in your waking life.

Putting the whole dream together I sense it is addressing 'shadow' aspects, probably beginning in childhood. From a under-developed childhood to a strong adult.
But there is some resistance to acknowledging something about these changes. It may be you have yet to recognize your full potential which could be a result of your childhood experiences. But that resistance is no longer a barrier, perhaps suggesting you are ready to live up to that full potential.

Has something occurred recently that provides an opportunity to be that person you want to be? Where in your life have you emerged from the shadows, something you are no longer afraid to bear open for the world to see? It may be these opportunities are now presenting themselves to you and you need to recognize them so you can grow personally.

gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

First of all Gerard,

Wow! That was spot on. Twice you mentioned there are changes in my life that I need to acknowledge, together with my full potential.

Well, for the last three years that I was posting on this forum, I was also married and unhappy. My ex was physically and emotionally abusive and I was confused about staying in the marriage or getting out. During that three year period I was looking for guidance from my dreams, but I also went away for a year to continue my education. I did a second master's degree. When I came back I had the objectivity to see that I had to end the marriage and it was hard, but not at all as hard as I thought it would be.

I also had applied for a Phd before I got divorced, and two months after my divorce I got accepted and that is what I am doing now. Its been hard for me, I moved to yet another country, and I only told one person here my age and that I'm divorced. Somehow I feel in a college environment I have to keep quiet about it. Its hard also when people ask why. For a long time my ex tried to get back together with me (its been six months now). I didn't respond to his messages, etc, but while apologizing in the same breath he still BLAMES me for his violence, temper and rage. I just couldn't live with that or the head games.

I worry about how I got into a marriage like that in the first place and I worry about getting into a relationship like that again. I've held so many emotions inside me. I think the young shadow female dream figure is me, a stronger younger version of me that I need to integrate and listen to and not fight against. I don't know why there was a struggle between us or what swimming symbolises, but in the end the conscious self emerged victorious and this bodes well.

Last night I dreamt I was telling this exact dream to a person at my college who I know named Steven. I got to the first half, when I started telling him about the second part, the shadow female, he stopped me from talking and I felt so frustrated and upset and angry.

I hadn't posted here in a long time but there was something striking about this figure that I have to understand, and the fact that I had a second dream about it is important.

Swimming is symbolic of many things, but of contained emotions, maybe I'm not to immerse myself in those emotions unless I am profoundly conscious.

My colleagues also praise my work and I know I am doing well, but part of me is still trapped in feelings of not being good enough. It just took a prominent job interviewer praising my cv a month before my divorce to wake me up to my talents and to the fact that my ex was doing everything possible to squash my self esteem. Yet there might still be a part of me that is doing that to myself and I want to break free from that.

I'm so grateful to the forum and to your interpretation. I also am sad that the one friend I did tell these things too here has not been the most trustworthy person. He comes from a traditional culture where he has to have an arranged marriage and he tried to initate a secret relationship with me with no committment. I feel he took advantage of my vulnerability and as a result I have been avoiding his calls and messages, hoping that if he changes his mind then maybe I can trust him again, otherwise I don't need a relationship like that.

Perhaps right now I need to stay above the surface of my emotions so that I can just get through what I need to, because if I go to deep it might be too painful and I'm too vulnerable. I don't know, I actually feel fine and happy and proud that I trusted myself and had the strength to divorce my ex. I had no income, no job, nothing lined up, no savings, and knew I couldn't handle living with my parents who also did not treat me right, yet I trusted in myself and in my confidence enough to just do what was right for me, and trusted in my creator as well. I'm crying now, but that is something to be damned proud of...so I guess I have what it takes.....

Thanx again Gerard,

May

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 37/ Europe

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

May,
I really appreciate the detailed response to my interpretation. Like yourself I have pressures that I worry will throw me off track in my dream studies. Confirming what I sensed from your dream helps restore some of that confidence needed when addressing dreams. I am hopeful that even with the added pressures {I am once again taking on responsibilities of the fence construction business I gave to my son while he relocates to Florida} I will always be blessed with this ability to understand dreams. Maybe it is like riding a bicycle. Once you learn the fundamentals {Jungian psyche} the intuitive part becomes a natural state. I sincerely believe by doing what I love most, working with dreams, I am giving of myself and thus providing my own cure to whatever obstacles that may come my way.

The forun is truly a two way street, we are supporting and helping one another.

Two things I wish to comment about your response. The first is your statement about emotions {"Perhaps right now I need to stay above the surface of my emotions so that I can just get through what I need to"}. That is exactly what I would do. In fact the one thing I have learned in my studies of the psyche and my own experiences is it is the emotions that often cause the most problems. I have learned to put the emotions second and look at everything with an objective eye first. That is what dreams do, provide a truthful and objective assessment of what is there and not what the emotional self always prefers to focus on. If you will do that as a principle way of doing things {as you have done with the relationship with your ex, your desire to enrich yourself through education, as well as your response to the advances from your friend in an arranged marriage} I believe you will find decision making to a lot easier and you will make a lot less mistakes in life. If you think about it, it is really a common sense approach but so hard to do because we humans do have such deep emotions.

The second observation is about self confidence. The way I read your response is you have had this problem of confidence for a long time. I always like to determine what are the primary sources of such emotions. Often it is from childhood. If you can trace back to when you started to feel less confident about yourself you may find closure to such negative responses to the outside world. It is always an inner thing stimulated by past experiences. usually that begins with childhood when the psyche is so vulnerable to impressions to outside stimuli. Although discovering the origins alone will not always solve the problem, it will help you understand why you do act in such a fashion and give cause to say, 'no, I won't give into that'. Eventually you will realize so much about those past experiences and their influence that a natural healing takes place. I firmly believe that to be the case in most emotional distresses. Perhaps it will help you in overcoming your self confident issues. You do seem to be doing a great job already {"I had no income, no job, nothing lined up, no savings, and knew I couldn't handle living with my parents who also did not treat me right, yet I trusted in myself and in my confidence enough to just do what was right for me, and trusted in my creator as well"} and if you can track down the origins of the problem I believe your life will be enriched that much more and the sky will have no limits.

One last thought. Your statement, "and trusted in my creator as well". That is not by chance. Joseph Campbell advised when you stay the course of the hero/heroine path there will always be helping hands to guide you. And although you may have a particular traditional belief system {religion} it is within yourself you will find the answers. That is the formula that provides the real help you will need in whatever you do in life, as long as it is positive and benefits not only yourself but the world around you. It is the spiritual aspect of the psyche that comes through in those times of need. You are helping yourself by being positive and helping others. The hero's sacrifice is going beyond one's own emotions and being objective, giving to others and thinking less of self.

I tend to believe I do that when I interpret dreams. The spiritual and creative self are married to one another. It is my bliss, and from that bliss I am able to share what I have learned. It is that part of the 12 steps of the hero journey known as the 'Return with the Elixir'. Principles to live by.

So, now that you have succeeded in your education is it now time to utilize those talents you possess? Would that not be your creative/spiritual self? Does confidence take hold when you are that person? I think so.

gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi Jerry,

I'm glad my feedback was helpful. Generally, you've always been spot on about my dreams...thanx for that, it makes a big difference.

As for my ex, I think the fact that I left, didn't go back and won't go back is a sign of improved confidence.

As for my present situation with my *friend* who is facing an potential arranged marriage, I think if I was more confident I would just walk away without thinking about it twice. He says he can never go against his parents, that he has to let them arrange his marriage, that if we start a relationship it has to be secret and that he'll not tell them or ask them to consider giving him a choice. All in all, not the best situation and the fact that I'm in is telling me something. He's not married though, and he has a choice, and part of me wonders if maybe as time passes he'll realise he has to make a conscious choice about who he is with. I'm not against arranged marriages, but it seems to be contrary to individuation and consciousness. Part of me thinks that maybe our karma made us meet so that we could go through this path together. Maybe its too soon to tell. Maybe I should never talk to him again.

Anyway, yes I agree that for the first time in my life, I should consciously stay objective and unemotional. Interestingly, when I immerse myself in my studies, my concentration and my state of mind improve and I feel more harmony with life in general and feel better....perhaps for now that is my pathway through this forest of confusion and drama.

About my childhood, I've written before that my parents favored my siblings over me repeatedly and this is something that hurt me alot inside. My parents are good people but they made huge mistakes in raising us and I can see the effect it had on me. I know I haven't healed from it all yet and I'm still hurt and that is why my confidence was so shattered before and why I ended up with someone like my ex and with this current situation. I have gone through therapy including some Jungian analysis and worked with my dreams with a professional and it was healing but I feel I still have a ways to go...

I agree 100% that the spiritual element is everything. I believe I had gotten my subconscious aligned with the universe, or God, or my creator, and this is what put my life back on track, and I do believe ultimately that this spiritual path at least for me is the only way. Its hard to keep it up all the time though.

Its funny, I think this dream is about my current *relationship* that part of me knows I shouldn't be in this situation, but the conscious part of me wants to take a risk and have an adventure and not have expectations but just be open to the best happening.

Am not sure. I do believe things in our life happen to make us conscious of something. In terms of my life, nothing is going on to cause me any distress except this situation, and at the same time its also a source of happiness. The time I spend with my *friend* is high quality and I feel a depth of tenderness and passion for him that is quite unlike anything I've ever experienced before and I don't understand it. I also feel detached at the same time, but I am concerned that if we really do become more than friends that I might get hurt. Yet I don't know if I can walk away. Its very confusing.

Anyway Jerry, thanks again so much.

I haven't been sleeping well since I moved, unlike before when I was doing my second masters and I'm having less dreams and less dream recall, and this dream figure was a really powerful image for me.
As far as my life is going now, the only pressing situation for me is this one with my *friend* (ha ha), as I've moved on with the divorce and am into my studies and well adjusted with moving...so its this situation that I need to work through...and I'm still in the dark and feel very vulnerable about it...

take care,
May

May,
If you are at your best when emerged in your studies then I would try to put as much energy into that as you can. Not completely isolate yourself from the world but that world of personal growth will sustain you when everything else fails.

As for the relationship with your friend. Use those past experiences in life as well as your intuitive 'mind' as a guide. Don't let your vulnerabilities overrule common sense. Go with the flow, see where it is going and see if you can develop a relationship built on friendship and trust. If he is worth the effort he will work toward the same goals. If not then you will pick up on it by using that intuitive mind and then you can adjust to the situation. Hopefully he is one good guy. You take control and don't give in to those vulnerabilities for the sake of the moment.

gerard

Jerry,

Thank you for the accurate dream interpretation AND the valuable advice....

My relationship with my friend is completely different from that of the one with my ex husband..though my friend and I have become lovers and there is no committment, no promise of a future and no emotional attachment or love, there is also no dishonesty, deception, cruelty or abuse as there was from the side of my ex husband.

My friend is honest and frank and because our relationship has always been built on friendship and trust this is why I agreed to be his intimate partner.

How the dynamic will play out in time remains to be seen, but I feel peace, fulfilled. Perhaps in the heroine's journey this is entering into the abyss, the great unknown, because with him I feel I am being gently drawn into an adventure into the unknown, the unknowable, the unseen...

I want to stay unemotional, detached and cool. I prefer it. Hopefully I will be able to. At the same time, he's told me he feels the same passion (and possibly tenderness) for me that I feel for him.

This is really strange, but my gut feeling tells me that although he his saying all these things about not being in love and not going against his parents, etc, I FEEL like what is happening between us is the opposite. He has already gone againt his parents, by being completely intimate with me, and it was his choice, without any pressure from me. In fact, I kept trying to delay things and keep them platonic.

I feel that he the very reason he choose me and was drawn to me out of all the other females he could have had this relationship with is because he wants to go against his parents and individuate (unconsciously though), deep down inside he knows he'd be miserable in an arranged marriage. He knows my family background is also from a very similar culture but because I grew up in the west he doesn't know that my family tried to arrange marriages for me and I made sure to make that impossible by getting away in college, being independent, and consciously choosing who to be with. Without saying a word, I am by being who I am encouraging him to be who he wants to be, who he is, not who he should be as conforming to deeply ingrained values that are not his own...as though I'm liberating him the way I liberated myself.

I would never have this kind of relationship with anyone else, I would have laughed at the idea, but with him its different. I feel like it was our destiny to be together, and I know this is not coming from wishful or hopeful thinking as I harbor no false illusions and expect nothing...my terms with him are completely unconditional....

How this relationship will affect my soul and heart remains to be seen...so far I am ok but I had moments of panic when I realised how far I've gone from how I 'should' be yet I find I am peaceful and happy...I hope the roller coaster feelings go away....

How this all ties into my dream...it takes alot of confidence to have an intimate relationship based only on honesty, trust and friendship.

May,
I live by my gut feelings and they always seem to be right. Go with it, the relationship, and always trust those intuitive feelings even when they go against what the ego wants. And I agree with you about the emotional aspect. Remaining unemotional is a hard thing to do. But that is often required in order to see clearly. When the emotions control then very often we find ourselves out of control. I hope the best comes from the relationship, wherever it may lead.

gerard

Thank you Jerry.

I trust myself, my intuition and my gut feelings. Thank God for that.

All the best,

May

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 37/Europe

I think this dream is really more important than I thought. Because of this dream I came back to the forum after being away for almost a year.

I started connecting with my inner self and priorities more.

This girl in the dream is me, but its a part of me that I pushed away for so long. At the same time, the dream me is also me, and I need both of these parts of me to work together in harmony. Its almost like reverse psychology, when she didn't want me to go swimming, I fought harder to make sure I did.

I think my relationship with S. is what set off these dreams.

After this dream I had the earthquake one, then the aquamarine one, then the black panther, then cheating in Paris.

All of these dreams are trying so hard to get me to connect with an extremely deep, unconscious and powerful aspect of myself. My shadow self is desperately trying to get my attention, to be integrated, to transform me into an even more empowered, more confident, stronger, more successful, happier and healthier person.

I am starting to realise this consciously but it feels sooooooo elusive to connect with that part of me. If it wasn't for my dream images, I wouldn't connect with myself in this way at all.

If anything good came out of my relationship with S, it has been that his presence in my life has set off a deep need to look internally, to connect with my shadow and to grow more.

I feel like I've tried so many times to integrate my shadow and perhaps in some ways I have succeeded but these powerful images are telling me that there is something more intense that I need to face and integrate and that this journey is going to rock my world. I feel frustrated because although life is going well, I feel I'm not functioning at my full potential at all and feel like I'm not doing as well as I can in all areas of life. I feel something holding me back and holding me down and I really want to break free of that and see even more real progress and growth. I do celebrate how far I've come, but I see so much more potential and such obstacles.

Thanks Jerry for your help with my dreams, it is much appreciated.

May

As I reflect on this series of dreams that started with this one, taking them as a whole and looking at them thematically, I can see that most of them are directly someone about my friend S. Some how my unconcsious is making that a symbol, and indirectly I think all of them are connected to him. Ultimately, I know all the dreams are about me firstly and what I'm projecting on to him.

If I can own my projections instead of confusing them for 'in love' feelings, then this can diffently be a time of tremendous healing and growth for me. The intensity of the emotions I feel for him is because of this unhealthy dynamic, because I want a committment and that wanting is frustrated, its bringing up a lot of fear and hurt from past similar situations. This time, I don't want to get hurt again. I want to navigate my way through the situation so that I can manage it better than I've managed relationships like this in the past.

Even if it means avoiding him completely and coping with my feelings alone, although that is not the most desirable pathway through this, it could help me for once and for all not get into situations that are less than satisfactory and leaving me feeling my self esteem is compromised. I am wondering if the earthquake dream is a response to his presence in my life.

Even this dream is showing me powerful forces in my unconscious are trying to stop me or force me to change my mind about something.

From a Jungian point of view, the only way out of all this is THROUGH it. I have to take the heroines path and navigate my way to a higher consciousness, i.e., it doesn't matter what I decide as long as I am CONSCIOUS of what am doing and the outcome is bringing me to a higher consciousness. Essentially, light is the goal. The benefit of this relationship so far, therefore, following this line of reasoning, is that it has brought me consciousness of the type of relationship that I don't want, that I've tried in the past (before getting married) and that hurt me. Its time for something new. I think the intense emotions I feel for S are a small part attraction and a larger part hurt from him that feels similar to past hurt. The dynamic that I've allowed him to set up with me is hurting me and filled with pitfalls that aren't worth my time. I am too scared to be with him and too scared to trust him.

Now, my gut feeling has totally changed. I felt BAD yesterday after we set our date, and I didn't look forward to it. I felt RELIEVED after I cancelled it.

I can't cope with the emotions it leaves me too ungrounded. If I could navigate them with a higher consciousness, even then that might not be worth it. Perhaps the goal is to become conscious of the fact it is hurting me and the fact that childhood patterns, upbringing and all that has left me in a state of mind that would allow me to settle for less.

This time my gut is saying stay away, and as much as it is soooooo tempting to want to ignore that, I trusted myself and I cancelled the date. In this dream I didn't listen to this stronger healthier unconscious part of me that was trying to stop me from being with people (parts of my pscyhe) that could hurt me and were 'not in my age group'. There is also that underdeveloped child that is hanging out with a mean bunch of college kids...so much symbolism there. I need to integrate all of these feminine aspects, without getting too hurt.

I had once had a dream about walking in the forest with two pillars of light while I looked for something.

What I was looking for was the light, but it was so close to me I was blind.

The GOAL is CONSCIOUSNESS. I feel like I'm on the verge of a breakthrough in my personal life where I stop settling for relationships that don't honor all of who I am and what I need. I can't go on with him so long as I felt that nasty, dread, bad, bad gut feeling, even if it was only for a minute. I won't ignore it.

I hope that I am strong enough to live by all the words I've written today.

Light and Peace,

May

May,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your personal life. Your experiences are individual but can offer to others insights of how the psyche functions. An assessment of one's life in normal circumstances is educational but someone like yourself who has Jungian insights, the education is much more profound and meaningful. We learn valuable lessons not only of your experiences but about dreams and their value in self discovery. That is the one true 'hero' deed, 'self discovery' to the deepest core.

Relationships are always difficult no matter the shape they are in. For anyone who is engaged in that 'inner' search it becomes even more difficult since the need to understand your own psyche requires a lot of 'psyche' energy. When there are questions about the relationship, his motives and your own, then I believe you are right to step back and re-examine any future actions. Not until you are happy with who you truly are, and that is a long term education in itself, then it might be best to delay commitments of the heart and keep the focus on the soul.

There is often the question of what should the guide when traveling the hero path. Jung thought it was the spiritual aspect that would provide the best answer to that question. By spiritual it was meant that which is within nature and not just that of religion. Religions do provide great teachers to follow. Jesus, the Buddha, Mohammad in Islam, mere men in the their lives who became myths that served to consciously as well as unconsciously inform the psyche. I believe that in using the formula of the spiritual soul in all situations in life there is a natural path that helps overcome the barriers to self discovery, and a recognition of the true self, an identity that is fulfilling for the soul as well as the waking life. If we stop in every instance in life to ask' "what would Jesus do, what would the Buddha do", and based our actions on that, you do put yourself on a higher plane of knowledge and eventually a psychological existence.

In relationships, engaging in the spiritual aspect is to be truthful, not only to the other but about oneself. If you know not the self then any relationship is subject to question because the motivations for the relationship is not completely understood. If the heart is subject to love on the basis of impulse and not inner truth then undiscovered motivations will eventually rise to the surface and could wreck the relationship. But if one 'knows' the self from in depth self discovery then such motivations are not a factor other than the actual experience. You remove much of the emotional factor and replace it with knowledge of what is and not what is perceived. Ego is subjugated to truth and the spiritual aspect of fulfilling the soul's purpose takes the lead.

In other words emotions must be secondary to truth. That is very hard to do. Discovery of those truths requires introspection, in depth self-canalization and a willingness to leave behind the physical {metaphorically speaking of course} world in favor of a metaphysical one. Jung use the term spiritual but it can be best found in a creative life, 'following your bliss', sacrificing to the spiritual and leaving behind the ego-centered self and letting the soul guide all actions. Because art and the muses are all about 'giving' from the soul, the creative is in fact the spiritual self, 'sharing' with others the greater wisdom the hero learns in his/her journey. As the saying goes, 'a picture is worth a thousand words'. The muses speak from the soul to the soul. Nothing more is fulfilling than to discover that part of the Self that touches the souls of others. It offers healing, comfort, peace of heart and mind. And that is the story of the the spiritual hero, Jesus, the Buddha....

gerard

Thanks Jerry,

This is all so true. And when two people are engaged in the same process, this really where transformation in a relationship can take place. This was the missing element with S but I have found it with my new boyfriend.

All the best and happy new year,

May
p.s. your dream interpretations are right on. I am happy to share personal details because that is necessary for any true understanding and insight.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 38/Europe

Dear Friends,

again, I continue in my quest to extract the most knowledge and stores of wisdom from my dreams. Again, hindsight is 20/20. From the point of view of my outer life, since I had this dream, I started working out again, and I lost 10-11 kilos or about 20 pounds. Literally, my shape physically transformed to match the description of this girl that emerged from the shadows and tried to stop me from swimming. I integrated 'her' into my psyche and was able to benefit by being'very well-built and strong and athletic'.

I am still not sure what the swimming signified exactly, but I dealt with strong emotions by running. At times I ran for over two and half hours at a relatively high speed, especially at the end. I've cut back on my workouts temporarily, but this dream image showed me my unexpressed physical potential...and it became manifested in my outer life, like the publications.

Something internally changes, heals and becomes manifested externally.

Peace,
May

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 38

stats from 7-14-10 to the present