Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Different Life Dream

Dear Gerard,

I've had this dream twice in the last 4 years. It's not a dream in the symbol sense-I've been keeping a dream journal for many years, and have reliable books on dream symbology. It was a different life. I had a job, a wife, a home, kids, friends, and it involved all the day to day aspects of life-eating, watching TV, playing with kids in the backyard, parties, talking with my wife, going on vacation, mowing the lawn - everything.

When I awoke both times, I felt like had been torn away from something, like I suddenly died. My bedroom momentarily looked strange and unfamiliar. I wanted to go back, but of course, I cannot. It's like that Twilight Zone episode where the actor believes his life in the movie is his real life.

Thank you for any illumination you can provide.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 51, Phoenix, Arizona

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? No

Re: Different Life Dream

Antoine,
Within us all is that other life, or lives to be precise. In this life there is a constant sorrow {the first Buddhist saying is, 'life is all sorrowful'}, and dependence on material worth. And there is most always a need to depend on someone or something that takes away from that 'true self', that self whose life fulfills the inner life and is not only focused on the outer world of ego. And it is primarily emotional, and psychological that keeps from realizing that true self. The other family within your dreams is most likely that family of true balance and harmony, most opposite that of the waking ego life. In the personal life there may be elements that could have been better if past decisions were better thought out and acted on. The 'what if' question. What if I had done this or had not done that. Your life may have been different, better, more harmonious. During mid-life such questions are common and are often framed within our dreams so we can sort through the possibilities and gain insights from the experiences. You can not go back and change things but you can improve on who you are. Dreams are therapeutic. They attempt to help solve problems, especially emotional. Your dreams may be addressing personal aspects of the life experiences, the accumulated baggage that needs sorting through.

But there is also that other self, the higher Self having to do with spiritual and creative matters. Jung tells us all dream have at least two interpretations. One is usually dealing with the waking life of ego and experiences. The other is addressing the inner life of spirituality and creativity, and personal growth. Dreams will use language that fits both. At mid-life we are looking back {whereas in earlier life we are looking forward, building an ego and personality as well as a career and personal life}, sorting through the baggage. If there is a genuine effort in doing that, a desire to grow personally, there will most likely be revelations to that deeper Self of creativity. Creativity is part of the spiritual aspect in that through the creative work you are giving of yourself to the other. Once you begin to gain control of the psychological self there is a turn to the true Self, not of the material world but of the inner realms of deep psyche desires. A poet, a writer, an actor, that thing that satisfies the soul, the 'follow your bliss' attitude that exemplifies what the soul wishes for and not the ego. You must die to the ego self and be reborn or resurrected to the 'soul's adventure'. The death on the cross {Jesus} is symbolic of that death of the ego to the spiritual. It is primarily psychological. But the task is human and to realize that true self one must first completely examine the ego life and begin to put that in order. These two things can go hand in hand but the final resolution takes time and effort. It is what Joseph Campbell called the 'Hero's Journey', a series of steps that each person undergoes on their own unique path. Again, it is first a psychological journey of introspection. And then it becomes one of realizing that true identity that is based on the spiritual/creative aspect of the psyche.

Where are you in your journey?

gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Re: Different Life Dream

Dear Gerard,
First, I'd like to thank you for responding, and 2nd, thank you for your response. You were very insightful. I am making a major life change, working on making a career as a writer. I am also doing some acting, already appearing in one film since moving to Phoenix from San Francisco in August after the company I worked for failed. I recently completed my first novel, which took about 10 years, and I am currently working on the second while seeking a publisher. The end of the year brought many of those "what if" thoughts to the surface, and I am doing what I can to embrace the new life I see for myself. I've always loved writing, and found it the most enjoyable part of my previous profession as an attorney. I plan to find a teaching position later this year, as I want to focus on areas that will support my creativity while providing me time to write. I am also seeking new relationships outside the world of business, and have already begun making friends with musicians and other writers.

I succumbed to temptation 5 years ago, 90 pages into my first novel. I had left the Bay Area after the dot.com bubble, moving to Scottsdale to write(and play golf!). My ego drove me to return to San Francisco to "get back in the game." I was never truly happy, and it took me a while to realize that I had gotten off my true path. Having experienced the impact of several cosmic 2X4s, I am now committed to following my bliss in the land of mountains and cactus.

Thank you for clarifying the meaning(s) of the dream. I am definitely on the Hero's Journey.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 51, Phoenix, Arizona

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? No

Re: Different Life Dream

Antoine,
Joseph Campbell taught that the ego must undergo a complete annihilation and not just a death to complete the new resurrection of Self. I understand the temptations you speak of, giving in to the ego. It has happened more than once to me. But your drive to find that place of 'bliss' speaks volumes to your true self and you know better than I what it takes to accomplish that in your life. I am confident from your words that you will indeed reach that pinnacle and reap the rewards. Let us know when you find a publisher and the name of your book. It undoubtedly will contain elements of the 'journey' that will be beneficial to others, as does all writing that comes from the soul.

gerard/Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present