Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
amazing birds

I look out my window and see two beautiful birds on a branch. They both look like birds from the rainforest. One is very large. On first glance, he looks mostly black, but when the sun shines on the black feathers I see that they are an iridescent dark blue that reflects a rainbow of colors. The other bird is much smaller and brighter and looks like a small parrot. I am amazed to see these two birds here in the north. I wonder what they are doing here right outside my window.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: amazing birds

Welcome Harriet,
You have the distinction of being the first to sign up for the new format at the Myths-Dreams-Symbols Dream Forum. With the info you provided in the questionnaire I believe I can see where this dream may be going. Let's see if you agree.

The first important symbol would be the birds {the window would probably represent unconscious to conscious recognition of some aspect in your life}. Birds are a part of nature and often symbolize being in touch with those 'natural' and positive aspects {spirituality, creativity, personal growth, etc.}. You see two birds from the rain forest. Breaking down the word rain forest may provide these possibilities:

Rain-A general grey tone in a dream probably symbolizes sadness, like tears, or depression. On the other hand, it may symbolize fertility, growth. Perhaps a new phase is opening in your life.

Forest- the unconscious; growth, strength; animals in the forest may represent repressed contents of the unconscious.

The large bird that looks black may symbolize those large unconscious aspects. But upon further examination there is that natural hue to his feathers {uplifting thoughts?}. The color of the rainbow {A sign of hope. A symbol for bridging the gap between your ego-self and your true self}.

The smaller birds. New developments, brighter future. But it has the appearance of a parrot {a semblance of a person, your true self, a facade}. North is symbolic of reality as well as the direction the hero takes in his/her heroic journey {although he/she is warned of the dangers of this path - ego related dangers}. And north is where it is cold and frigid. Out the depths of the frozen unconscious is that need/desire to bring out the true Self.

In the comments section of the registration form you stated, "I have been recording my dreams for about four years, and this has brought changes in my life such as returning to my field of creativity (writing)".
I see every indication this dream is addressing that return to the creative Self. There are probably ego related issues that go with those issues but the primary intent of the dream is to reinforce that inner desire/need to return to that thing in life that is your 'rain forest', a place where personal, spiritual and psychological growth is in abundance.

What do you think?

gerard/Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Thanks, Gerard,

Yes, I agree with your interpretation. I've read that amazing animals in dreams are a symbol of the true Self. In Christianity, birds also represent the Spirit or pneuma. I forgot to mention that the window the birds came to was my kitchen window. Usually, I don't dream of the real house I live in. But this dream took place in my waking-life house, and all the details of it were as in waking life. One question I had was, "Why two birds and not one?" Also, why a big bird and a little one, a dark bird and a bright one, a bird capable of talking and a bird apparently not capable of talking? Re: rain forest. I also have an association with the word, endangered, when I hear rain forest. I think of the rain forest as a vital part of life on earth. This fits with creativity as a vital part of my life. I felt good on waking from this dream, as if I'd been visited by messengers. The dream had a numinous feeling that still continues.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Harriet,
Dreams most often deal with the conflicts in our lives and opposites in dreams are common. Those opposing forces are used in various ways to inform the dreamer of emotional conflicts as well as physical {illness within the body}. Even within a positive context opposites are often present within the dream. The most likely reason for this is because of the evolution of the brain with the primitive instincts still being a vital force in the way the 'intelligent' side of the brain functions. This part {primitive} constitutes what is called the rational brain responsible for learning, voluntary actions, perceptions, conscience and language. It is in the primitive section of the brain that most basic behaviours and actions for the survival of the individual and preservation of species are generated. Because the first natural instincts of the developing human brain were first confronted with the need for survival, the opposing forces of early man are still very much imprinted on the human psyche. Thus the use of opposites with our dreams.

Of course no two people are alike. The symbolic meaning of each symbol always has a personal aspect. But it also retains some of that primitive influence. Jung's archetypes most often portray deeper psyche awareness but in my mind even the simplest experience will include symbolic associations in our dreams. That is how I approach a dream symbol, looking at the archetypal possibilities but in a minor aspect. A car for example. Primitive man did not have such transportation but the identification with the object becomes fixed no matter the mold of travel {in pre-auto times I dare say horse and buggies were associated with the self just as autos are today}. I can't remember a dream that I have interpreted at the forum where the car wasn't associated with the dreamer, most often representing the dreamer. When it becomes an attachment to the human condition then we can begin to think of it as a collective 'archetypal' symbol of the society. Those people who do not use autos in their everyday lives will not have dreams of cars as symbolic representations of the dreamer.

As for your feelings upon waking from the dream. The positive aspects of the dream represent the positive flow of your life. Here it is returning to your writing, that blissful place you most love. That is the true Self, creative and spiritual {spiritual in that you are sharing yourself with others through the creative aspect}. I dare say the primitive man/woman who drew those earliest paintings at Lascaux, France were driven by the creative aspects within their primitive brain. That suggest an inherent creative aspect and not learned.

gerard/Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present