Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
vultures

I am at a child hood friend's house, who I am no longer in contact with. She lives on a farm and I am out in the yard with her Grandad who I remember as a mean man. I ask him for a rifle to shoot at birds that look like vultures. They are flying in the sky but I can see them quite clearly. They have long bald necks and heads. He takes a rifle from the boot of a truck. It is old and rusty looking. I take the rifle and shoot the birds in the sky.

Then I am walking on the path home. I pass by a tree and it is full of these vulture-like birds. Their necks are bent in the shape of questions marks, so it looks like the tree is full of question marks. Then I get the feeling that they are coming to attack me because I tried to shoot at them. A couple of them come at me from a different direction and then I wake up.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 29, Dublin

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: vultures

Vultures are not in all cultures dirty.
They are thought of being holy in tibetan culture, for example,
and have an amazing ability to fly.

If you watch them flying, they move much more graciously, than an other bird.

To kill holy bird is considered taboo.

So, I think that you have..probably unconciously..
broke some taboo.

As vultures are animals connected with death, the taboo had probably something to do with death.

Try to realize, what it could be, or do some kind of ritual, where you apologise for all that you might have done wrong.

Otherwise, there could possibly be some harm coming.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 35

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? no

Tracey,
Two possibilities to the dream with the first being the best. But it doesn't mean it is correct.

There is a good possibility the dream is addressing childhood issues, perhaps experiences that still unconsciously govern your actions as an adult. The vultures may represent unwanted aspects/experiences from that period of time. In this context the childhood friend you are no longer in contact with would symbolize repressed/forgotten memories of those experiences. A rifle is a gun which can represent aggression toward someone or some thing. Your aggression in the dream are toward the vultures, those unwanted experiences from childhood.

In Freud's view a gun is symbolic of the penis {take Freud's view only if there were possible sexual activities involved in your childhood}. Then there is the description of the vultures which may support this possibility; "They have long bald necks and heads". Isn't that what a penis looks like? Such symbols would point to either past sexual issues or possible issues that did not actually happen but perhaps you were afraid would {the fear of those experiences leaving an impression on your impressionable childhood psyche}.

The reason I suggest that these past experiences may have an affect on your life in the present is 'your path' in the dream.
That path may be your adult life and past repressed experiences often affect how you act, your personality, your actions as an adult. The questions marks the necks of the vultures form would represent question marks in your own psyche about those past experiences and who they affect you in the present. These past experiences are coming to conscious view and these past experiences are beginning 'to attack you'. This could be a sign of repressed memories now coming to the forefront. The memories are increasingly beginning to become conscious.

Where there any experiences in childhood that could have been repressed? Any traumatic experiences during this particular period of time? And what about your childhood friend's grand dad? Look back at this period of time and see what may be there. Be prepared for something you have not thought about for a long time if indeed there are repressed memories due to these experiences.

If there is not any traumatic childhood experiences then the dream would be purely symbolic of some current waking life experience. Vultures would represent something that is attacking you in your everyday life {other than the repressed memories}. The grand dad could be symbolic of an older masculine aspect, in your current waking life, that is being hard {mean} on you.

Let me know what you come up with. Also you current situation in life may provide clues to the past.

gerard/Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your reply. I can't say that I recall any kind of traumatic experiences around this time. Are there any techniques to recall represssed memories?!

It was with this man that we first learned to shoot a gun. In the yard at tin cans. The gun recalled against my shoulder and hurt a lot at the time but that is the only memory that sticks out for me. We didnt really have alot to do with her Grandad, he would just be a grumpy old man milling around the place giving out to us!

I have noticed that when I dream about any kind of bird being attacked or attacking something else, that soon after I get hurt by a random comment and usually end up seething about something that I felt was intended to hurt me. Do you think the dreams could have anything to do with this?

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 29, Dublin

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Tracey,
Although it may seem remote, such a 'shock' from a recoiling rifle may have left an impression that now has resurfaced due to some other recent stimuli.
Can you recall any experiences in the days prior to the dream that could have caused you to think about the childhood incident involving your friend's grand dad? It could be a sound or smell, or seeing something that stimulated a memory of the past.

You say when you dream of birds it is soon followed by comments which cause 'seething' emotional conflict on your part. Vultures are revolting, devouring birds and there may be something about your personality that is prone to emotional conflict, a 'devouring' condition that is unconsciously controlled. There may be something about early childhood experiences that are at the roots to this personality trait. Many traits that develop in life are rooted in childhood. And dreams will address personality aspects, especially those that have a negative impact on who you are.

The mean man in this dream may be addressing an animus/masculine aspect you possess. You get testy, very sensitive at comments by others. The mean man, an trait developed early in life {making it an 'old' trait, old man} may be aspects of your own masculine psyche.

Dreams are now usually random. You dream about something because it relates to your life and who you are, or should be. Some dreams are merely reviewing current life experiences but are usually a part of a dream because there is some type of conflict, albeit minor. But it does seem 'minor' random comments can cause a 'seething' re-action on your part. Perhaps this is due to early rooted impressions.

gerard/Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Tracey,

One aspect of dream interpretation I utilize is character association. I find this often helps in defining aspects of a dream. Perhaps examine your child hood friends’ traits, and see if any correlate to the dream. Were there any trait(s) she possessed that you (at the time) wanted to emulate or admired, or did not like?

Vultures are carrion eaters – they survive and flourish on dying and dead, on waste matter. They attack only the weakest and most passive, at or near death.

Perhaps this dream describes an aspect your child hood friend possesses that you desire or require to develop in your Self. With your response to Gerard, this may be the ability to communicate with assertive (not aggressive) directness at the time a transgression occurs rather than waiting, (“seething”) and storing these up within. Or maybe a lack of care or concern with a lighthearted attitude when faced with this situation. This may also indicate a need to let go of past transgressions in order to define a starting point for development and utilization of immediate well thought response.

Perhaps through seeking approval/praise you are externally passive, yet internally conflicted. Learning to communicate your thoughts assertively and with directness is acquired through role models, mentors, it is as much of everything is, a learned trait. It can be obtained by observing others methods of communication, or by taking a course in assertive communication.

Some key symbols and possible meanings follow:
Farm: ability to do something, growth
Grandad mean man: strong feeling/animate
Rifle: inclination
Old & rusty: indignation/decline
Vulture: waste, squander, passivity
Tree: expectation/belief someone should behave in a particular way
Question marks: determine and resolve

Kind regards,
Kathy

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43 Central OH

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? y

stats from 7-14-10 to the present