Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
my snake dream

2/23/09 Snake Dream

In this dream, I was alone in a large cabin with a dirt floor. It was furnished, and I was standing near a table when I noticed snakes start to appear in the room. Some of them came from small holes in the ground. There were all types of snakes, small and large, colorful and not. I was both fascinated but also a little frightened because I wasn't sure what they would do. I moved back a step only to startle a very large cobra that was in my face in an instant and was almost as tall as me. I grabbed it under its head with its hood spread and tried to keep it at arms length. I was thinking "Now what?"

I was thinking that I couldn't possibly overcome this animal that was essentially all muscle and assumed it was angry and would strike in a moment or two and I wouldn't be able to keep it from reaching me. In that moment, another very large snake --an anaconda-- quickly climbed around my body like I was a tree --not to attack me, but to reach the cobra. (It happened very fast.) It opened its mouth to bite the head of the cobra. It started turning and twirled that cobra around itself while lowering itself and its weight down off my body. It squeezed the cobra until it was dead then continued to eat it. None of the other snakes threatened me as I had stumbled under the weight of the moving anaconda. I was watching the bigger snake kill and eat the large cobra. I stood there, amazed and in shock.

The anaconda had come to my rescue and saved my life. I felt like it was a miracle that this snake did not crush me, because it certainly could have, but it only used me to reach the cobra. I wasn't scared anymore. There were a lot of snakes in the room (none of them were rattle snakes though!), but only the one being eaten had threatened me, the rest were nearby, but minding their own business, not caring that I was there at all. I was not afraid, I was more in awe. Then I woke up.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Austin, TX

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? no

Re: my snake dream

Laura,
I'll provide an interpretation for your dream on Friday.

gerard/Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Laura,
Snake dreams. Is it Freudian {sexual} or Jungian? Possible a bit of both. If there are sexual issues in your life I suggest the Freudian approach. If so you may have a sexual dilemma that is growing and at the point of "Now what?}".

In that Freudian context there seems to be a conflict of 'snakes'. A possible conflict of masculine relationships? One, the anaconda is causing or preventing a heavy weight for you. It is threatening to overpower the cobra.

One snake saves you from another and under the weight of the whole situation you survive. Could this be the emotional strain you have been under due to relationships?

Of course in the Freudian world a snake represents the penis. The sexual aspects may be the driving force in this conflict. If there is such a conflict in your waking life then the Freudian approach would fit the dream and your waking life.

But if this is a Jungian dream {which is true with every dream no matter the Freudian influence} then the sexual aspect would at best be minor if representative at all. Using the Jungian approach the snake could represent a new beginning {snakes shed their skin and grow new}. Being in the mist of the mid life thing {43 years old} such changes are normal. It may be there are all kinds of new emotions appearing in your life. The challenges can be both fascinating and frightening. Emotionally, no matter which direction you turn there are new changes and challenges. You get to a point where you think, "Now what?".

Overcoming the animal instincts of using the brain power {a muscle} which cause anger {mid -life transitions of the female persuasion} can be most challenging. Those around you may be wondering 'where will you strike' this time {and you are wondering te same}. These are emotional issues. You must kill and consume those over powering emotions if you are to survive. Snakes often represent new beginnings and mid life is that phase in life where there are required new beginnings, and endings {death} to old habits and ways of life. There are a lot of emotional {and physical} issues involved in this phase.

Snakes are also symbolic of psyche energies. Understanding the phases of the mid life thing may be what in the end saves you. To understand te emotional and physical changes as something natural. And use that understanding when the emotions 'strike'. In Eastern mythology snakes are positive. Using the positive force of knowledge and understanding of the mid life crisis is most positive in the 'miracle' of surviving this stage.

gerard/Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Jerry,
Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. You've given me much to consider.

I think the second part of your analysis is most fitting. I do not have a conflict of masculine relationships. At least I cannot think of one.

You said: "Snakes often represent new beginnings and mid life is that phase in life where there are required new beginnings, and endings {death} to old habits and ways of life. There are a lot of emotional {and physical} issues involved in this phase."

This passage of your interpretation seems to be key for me.

My personal "mid-life" challenges have been some minor and/or annoying physical ones (that could become major if neglected) that have required me to pay more attention to my health, and the emotional ones of adjusting to being an "empty-nester" (My title "stay-at-home-mom" is gone). Other changes include: beginning new exercise habits, remodeling a kitchen, exploring the idea of becoming a healer or helper of some kind, and my older daughter is planning to marry this year. My in-laws both got cancer treatments last year (they are doing okay), my mom survived a very bad car crash last year (it was a miracle). I also lost my father in back in 2002. Those last 3 put the subject of mortality on my radar.

My focus right now is to improve my body and my health as much as I can, to be ready for what comes next.

My second focus has been to make new friends, which is not easy for me. My only true friend has been my husband all these years --and I have been very comfortable with that--he's been enough for me. Two years ago, however, I felt led to make an effort to make other friends; I can't explain this, but it scared me a bit because I don't know if it is because I will need friends aside from my husband (as in: Is something going to happen to him??!) or if it is because I am supposed to help someone by being their friend (the much less scary idea). I just woke up one morning and knew I needed to get busy and make some friends. (I don't remember a dream though, just the feeling of having a directive.)

So I am getting out there to meet people and see what develops. Last year, my efforts were too passive, so I've stepped it up a notch. Things look promising, but it takes time to know for sure. It's felt weird though. I have historically spent the majority of my time alone or with my family. (I have mostly been a homemaker, but have taken part-time jobs for short periods of time.) For the most part, I do not mind being alone, and rarely feel lonely. But I am taking this feeling, this directive to make friends seriously.

I am hardly ever angry (unlike some, my middle years have made me more mellow, not cranky, which is a nice thing!)--so if I "strike" it's more to try something else --more out of curiosity or a sense of adventure, or most likely, to explore a revelatory idea.

I am not sure of what I'm going to be doing in the future, so I've been living with plans that are mostly short-term. Long-term planning seems futile right now unless I decide on something specific to strive for. I feel a bit as though I am floating on a quick but navigable current and need to wait for calmer waters to have time to reflect on the next leg of the journey.

If I am comfortable with the idea of living day-to-day without a long-term vision, is it still a mid-life "crisis", though? I think I like your earlier term "mid-life thing".

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Austin, TX

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? no

stats from 7-14-10 to the present