Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just seeking peace?

History:
My mother died 26 years ago when I was 26. She and I were close - she died quickly from a brain tumor at age 61.
My father died 2 1/2 years ago. He and I were not close, but I ended up being his caretaker for 7 months b4 his death - I learned a lot about him and myself. He was 82.
My mother has "visited" me in many dreams - but always as a protector and watcher, we've never spoken, until this dream.
My maternal grandmother died last Septemember (mom's stepmom) I was very close to her.
DREAM - FINALLY:
In color, vivid, unrealistically bright, as many of my dreams are...
Mom and I are on the beach. I am "in" this dream. I am looking at my mom. Her hair is long, dark, wavy. I say, "Mom, your hair is so beautiful." She says, "It's ok. In 5 years your hair will be like this." We look out toward the ocean. The water is calm. I see my father standing in knee-high water with only his boxers on (nothing x-rated here) - I say, "There's daddy." Dad looks better, but still old. He looks at me and smiles. He turns to his right, then lies down prostrate in the ocean water. His whole body submerges. He reaches up to stand up, but cannot do it on his own. Behind him are 3 elderly men, the tallest in the center (and I know him, but cannot place who he is). They all step forward and help my dad stand. Mom and I turn right and begin to walk down the beach. We come to a tent (?) on the beach and go inside. We sit down together. To my right is a mirror. It is old - I see a vague image of myself - but the image is unclear. I turn to mom, and my dream ends. The dream did not frighten me - it gave me peace, but I was left confused.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 52 NC

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? no

Re: Just seeking peace?

Debbie,
Beaches are often symbolic of emotional introspection involving the person you are dreaming about {your mother in this instance}. This is not uncommon and may signal a transformation of a sorts {beaches denote the changeable realms between water, the unconscious, and land, the conscious}. The introspection in your dream may be 'partly' about aging {"in 5 years your hair will be like this"}. How long ago did you have this dream? Unconsciously {"looking out at the ocean"} there may be such a concern but since the waters are calm it has not become a conscious conflict. Either you are handling such an event well or it has yet to surface consciously.

But that aspect is most likely only ' partly' a focus of the dream. That aspect of the dream is addressing your mother and those emotions. There is also you father whose relationship was more difficult. Not until the final months of his life did you learn more about that relationship. There was a need to expose your true emotions about him
{exposing him in his boxers}. The once distance relationship became a little better when you were taking care of him {"Dad looks better, but still old"} but the conflicting emotions about him still remain. This may be a part you do not wish to remember or confront {"His whole body submerges"}. It takes some 'unused masculine energy' to bring these 'father' issues to the surface {"3 elderly men".

Then the dream is once again focused on your mother. Unconscious remnants of that relationship but also a reflection of yourself {in the mirror, "I see a vague image of myself"}. This may be an issue with age but also something deeper, personality traits she possessed that you are now beginning to see within yourself.

All the directional turns in the dream are to the right. Also this may seem irrelevant I often see it pointing to a particular direction psyche wise. Right in this case would be ego centered {whereas left would signify spiritual or creative issues}. This for me reinforces the age issues as well as personality traits you may share with your mother {and possibly your father}. In the end of the dream you sit down with your mother. Undoubtedly you are more like her than your father.

Let me know your thoughts to the above interpretation and perhaps we will be able to learn more about the dream, and you.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Just seeking peace? #2

Thank you for helping me understand this dream. Your interpretation makes sense. You, of course, are correct - my personality is much like my mom. My age, though I'm not horrified that I'm 52, it gives me pause - it would be easy to fall into the negatives of aging. I like where I am in life. I love my husband muchly and I am happy with my job and with who I am (though I realize one never stops growing and changing). I'm a little concerned about what to do in the continuing journey - don't really want to go back to school, but don't want to stagnate - I have 16 cats, but realize if many more of them live to be 19 or 20 years old, I may not be able to care for them... does this make sense? In the last couple of years, my perspective has changed a lot. The only thing about the dream I wonder about further... my dad was a heavy drinker - and mean - not physically. Yet he had a way of degrading a person that was uncanny. I forgive/forgave him, but don't see him as a saint (as people sometimes do when a love one passes). Again, thank you. I plan to keep this site on my favs and check in often. Reading the dreams of others and the interpretations can only help me grow.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 52 NC

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: Just seeking peace?

Debbie,
I understand your difficulties with having so many cats. I live in a rural area and have accumulated several feline friends myself. I brought two with me when I moved here and now there is a herd
who visit regularly. And I too am concerned about their future and who will care for them. Healthy cats do live long lives and it does cost to keep them that way.
But on the other hand, I do enjoy their company. Having lived single since the early nineties, their company has added much joy. And since I am a male who believes strongly in the 'power of the feminine' psyche, well, a bunch of felines to share my space naturally fits. As you know being a cat owner they do have their personalities.

But I digress. Your dream. Their is room for error in some aspects of my interpretation {the 3 elderly men as an example of one part that is not clear}. But if you feel there is a good match with the dream to your actual waking life then there may be some merit in the interpretation.
When parents appear in dreams then most always the dream is addressing some aspect to those relationships. It is one of the few times you can take other people literal and not symbolic {although they can be symbolic, and/or represent themselves also} The dream matches your current emotional frame of being, thus the dream will attempt to help sort through those emotions. Dreams do have a therapeutic function.

The personality description linking you and your mother. I have found in my working with dreams they will provide clues to a person's personalty. The mirror and the vague image of yourself, and then turning to your mom, that spoke to me of possible personality traits as well as the age issue. Things in common.

Back to the felines. It helps when working with dreams to possess a keen intuitive sense. Being male it only supports my developing intuitive mind to have so many felines around. The psyche is feminine in name{Psyche} so there must be something at work that wants me to involve so many feminine aspects in my life.

I hope you will return to the Forum often. Dreams are a great way to keep in touch with the 'real you' and can help work through emotional conflicts. Jung has provided a workable formula and philosophy to understand the language of dreams {symbol and metaphor}. A great many who visit the Forum regularly have questions about mid-life issues and a lot of the discussion here is about those issues. Jungian psychology {his works are more important than the man} has a lot of answers to many questions that has to do with the emotions.

And in closing. Have you discovered Joseph Campbell? If not then you may want to watch a couple of his The Power of Myth videos and I believe you will come away a more 'informed' person. Insights to questions we never ask but have so much to do with life. So essential when working with personal growth. Campbell is the master of symbol and metaphor and understood both in dreams and myth. As did Jung.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present