Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tolkien's Ring

Not a dream per-say, but more a symbol. I have no recollection of the dream but woke up with the thought "First I need Tolkien's Ring" running through my head.

I have had similar dreams about needing to find an object that kept coming back until I figured it out. In that case I was a Jedi Knight but before I confronted the Empire I needed to find my lightsabre.

Once I made the association of the sword as a symbol of air, to intelligence, and the focused light of the lightsabre as an association of focused thought / analysis, I was overcome with a wave of success, and since then in my dreams of being a Jedi my lightsabre has been present.

I feel this is a similar scenario, and have been using my aforementioned sabre to address this.

My thought pattern is that this ring is something that is 'dangerous to use', is the 'life-force of the shadow', and can not easily be destroyed, unless it be thrown back into that from which it came.

What came to my mind after only a short time was repression / repressed content. Repression is a dangerous thing to use (especially in a pro-longed sense). It is the 'life-force of the shadow' as it is the repressed contents that creates our shadow-aspect. The only real way to destroy the repressed content is to 'take it back to that which created it'?

I had a minor 'hallelujah' moment when I came to that conclusion but I don't think the full significance of the symbol has as yet sunk in / been explored.

Oh, also in addition on the symbolic nature of the invisibility associated with the ring, the wearer becomes invisible / unaccountable for the contents? They no longer see it.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 27 - Perth, Western Australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Tolkien's Ring

Rook,
Joseph Campbell spoke of the mythological motif of the 'one hidden thing'. That 'thing' is within you and more often speaks an emotional energy that has yet to be fully comprehended and/or explored. In myth there is usually a quest to discover this metaphorical hidden object/aspect. I am not 'up' on Tolkien so I can't comment on the story itself but what I have seen {parts of the movies} there is that search. It is invisible because it has yet to be brought to full consciousness. In Star Wars the hidden thing in Luke Skywalker's life is his search for his father {a common mythological motif in itself}. The whole story of Star Wars is pathologically based {Lucas being a student of Campbell's as illustrated in this video. The metaphorical reference to Tolkien's ring may be about that circular symbol of wholeness. The search in general is for wholeness and balance in life. You have to 'cut' away the emotional boundaries that prevent you from discovery this hidden aspect {could that be associated with the sword/lightsaber?}. Repressed contents often need to be cut away so to understand what it is that is hidden.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: Tolkien's Ring

Hi Rook,

Great insight!

I did not watch the whole Lord of the Rings series, but I remember (with clarity) when Frodo was protecting the ring (against even those charged to help him guard it) ... when looking in their eyes, he could see their want for "power" ... another was saying that he swore to protect him (Frodo). And Frodo responded, asking, "Can you protect me from yourself?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pki6jbSbXIY
~
Boy, having just watched the trailer, I now feel, I'd like to see the whole series!
~
Here, some words from Jung:

"We are the origin of all (common) evil,"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wop91_Gvwos

Which make me think of your words concerning taking our shadow back to that which created it. It is where Jung says that man cannot live without meaninglessness... Is that meaningless the "nothingngess" from which we ultimately come, the nullification of ego?

I put the word "common" in parenthesis above as I was not sure I heard it correctly.

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Kansas

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present