Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
7 small fingers growing from his thumb??

I've been trying to research this dream I had last night all morning and I can't seem to pin point what it might mean. Any help would be reeeally appreciated...

The dream: It's a rainy afternoon. My guy friend and I are sitting in his car, a nice classic of some sort (in reality he drives a Subaru heh) in my driveway, except I'm in the driver's seat and he's in the passenger seat. He's playing with a bag of makeup and jokingly starts to paint his right thumbnail with glittery polish (even though he's right handed). Watching him paint his thumbnail, I realize the nail is broken, like a chip is missing. I ask him, "why don't you cut that off or file it down?" (because it looks all sharp and snaggly). As I say those words I realize his nail is not broken, but it's actually a small extra thumb growing from the side of his normal thumb. In the dream, I question the small extra thumb because of course I'd never seen it before during our 5 years of friendship. As I ask him about the small extra thumb and upon even closer examination I discover he's got 7 tiny little fingers, or nubs or skin tabs, whatever you want to call them, growing from the backside (where the thumb print would be) of his thumb. He says its a birth deffect, which I find interesting in the dream, not only because of the abnormality of it all but because I'm surprised that I'd never noticed them before during the course of our friendship. Then I spaced off and stared at the condensation on the windows of his car.....and then I woke up.

Help? heh

I've found sites explaining extra fingers or large thumbs, and explaining the difference between right and left hands but the dream seems too specific to settle on those interpretations. And of course the meanings explain if they are *my* hands or fingers.
--Does the meaning change if the fingers are on someone else?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 25, Portland, Oregon

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: 7 small fingers growing from his thumb??

Crafty,
In the dream you are putting yourself in control {I'm in the driver's seat}. It is his car. This may be saying something about the relationship with this guy friend. Or it may be saying something about putting yourself in control of some aspect of your life {a masculine aspect}. It could be both.

First examine the relationship with this guy friend {in real waking life}. In the dream he is performing tasks that usually a woman would perform {starts to paint his thumbnail with glittery polish}. Could there be a role reversal at play? Perhaps a desire or need to reverse roles so you would feel '{in charge'?

Let's examine that possibility as if it were an aspect of your own masculine qualities. Is there a need to feel more in control of some aspect of your life? Perhaps relationships in general? Or this relationship in particular? Thumbs help you to grip objects. Perhaps growing a new thumb would better help you get a better grip on things, maybe be able to handle things better in some aspect? It is a rainy afternoon in the dream which may suggest a negative aspect that needs rectifying.

The nail protects the thumb. The nail is broken. There may be a need to 'file down' barriers so to be able to better protect yourself {possibly having to do with relationships}. Growing a new thumb would help you get a grip on this aspect.

The 7 little fingers which are nubs may suggest a lack of an ability to '{grip' this aspect in question}. The birth defect may be saying something about deeper causation from earlier life that has put you in a position of needing to 'control'. It may be now that you are finally realizing this need {condensation on the window}. And in the end you are still in his car which suggest a masculine presence, either addressing this particular guy {who is not named} or an aspect of your masculine psyche {or both}.

Are there areas of your life where you feel a need to take control? Or perhaps in this particular situation you are in control and that bothers you. Look at your waking life and determine what would fit with the above possibilities.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi Jerry,

Thanks so much for the interpretation. I think you made a lot of excellent points and I was able to apply a lot of your interpretation to my personal life to make some sense of my dream.

I had another dream the other night that I was hoping you would be able to interpret, the key symbols were the same but the overall theme of the dream was different...

Dream: (the house and truck descriptions are not true in real life)

I'm leaving my house and pull up to my dirt road driveway to discover there's a locked gate. I put my truck (a huge, beat up, bulky Bronco type of truck) into reverse so I have room to open the gate, to discover my brakes don't work. I end up rolling back into a tree and crash in my front end (how I crashed head on, if the truck was rolling backwards I don't know). My neighbor (my neighbor in the dream is the father of my guy from the first dream I posted) comes outside, stands on his deck and yells at me "that's what you get for buying a piece of s*** off Craigslist" and I yell back "it was free so it doesn't matter!" Then I woke up.

Its not as detailed as the last dream but there were a few patterns here that I thought needed a deeper look.

Thanks Jerry!

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Crafty,
I get the impression this dream is focused on an actual waking experience as well as it is on a symbolic reference to emotional aspects. The last part of the dream referencing Craigslist leads me to this conclusion. Other than that I sense the dream is pointing to an over load of responsibilities and perhaps emotional strain {the beat up Bronco}. It may involve some aspect that goes against your nature. There seems to be conflicting emotions surrounding this aspect. On one hand you want to go forward but on another you want to keep things as they are. This seems to be the primary conflict.

As to recent waking experiences. Have there been such experiences involving Craigslist? Are there any conflicts, possibly intuitive feelings, having to do with the father of your guy? Perhaps you feel he is not all that crazy about the relationship? Or perhaps you are 'advertising' or showing your emotions and that displeases your inner self.

Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Nothing involving me and Craigslist. My friend and his dad use Craigslist a lot for auto parts, so its not out of the ordinary to hear them say that.

As for my relationship with his father, it's complicated, only cause his dad is an alcoholic (actually they both are). When he's drinking, he's loud, obnoxious and can be crude. But "sober," he's very much like a father figure to me, which is why I think it was him confronting me about the junker, kind of a typical dad thing to do I suppose... but for me to yell back is what I found interesting considering I never stick up for myself when it comes to his dad.

Not sure if this part helps or not but I remembered some things later about this dream. It started out with me, on my way to my house. I was riding a old Schwin bike down a country road, it was a nice sunny day, wind in my hair and I was enjoying my surroundings, taking in the sites of all the large country type trees...oaks or maples (not really sure), just huge trees that had obviously been there forever. I passed a few barns that looked old and run down but still lively. And what looked like an old air plane hangar in a field that was being used to store someones riding lawn mower and a few hay bales....

What I find interesting, which I just realized as I wrote the last part, is I was riding my bike to my house enjoying the nice day, but then I was driving the broncotrying to leave my house and get yelled at.... hmmm

Sorry if I'm bombarding you

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Crafty,
I'll provide more thoughts later to your response. The added info about the dream can change a lot about the dreams intent. Plus the feelings and impressions from a dream can be very important. The fact your friend and his dad uses Craigslist probably had something to do with that part being in your dream. Whether there is any symbolic meaning is another question. There may be more importance in the fact they use it for the 'auto parts' {beat up Bronco}.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present