Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Important Changes

This post is not about a dream {at least not one during sleep} but about changes in my life that are occurring> I will mention briefly for now the outline of these changes.

For most of the past 7 years I have lived a secluded life, at least in terms of the extroverted person I have been since I was in my late teens. A city boy who at one time lived to be around people, the past seven years or so have found me doing just the opposite. Living alone {with my feline friends only} I have shunned being around people other than from my work {a contractor who sells, involved in contracts, etc.}. I have pretty much isolated myself from the world of social involvement and become the 'old man' who wonders into the deep forest to find himself. Sort along the lines of what Campbell suggest we all must do when taking that inner journey. A life of isolation.

But now I have moved to other residence, back in the city {Murfreesboro, TN}. This was not specifically planned but I knew it was coming. It fits with my 'coming out' {not gay}, positioning myself to become that true self, being that person I long to be. And it all involves my dream work and web design {Myths-Dreams-Symbols}. It has slowly evolved but with a style that seems as if it were there all along. What happens next is expected but not certainly known. A path I have laid out in my mind seems to be taking me to the next step, the next level.

From the Power of Myth:

Moyers:Is the adventurer who takes that kind of trip a hero in the mythological sense?

Campbell:Yes, because he is always ready for it. In these stories, the adventure that the hero is ready for is the one he gets. The adventure is symbolically a manifestation of his character. Even the landscape and the conditions of the environment matches his readiness.

I just hope I am ready for what comes next.

I will elaborate more later.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Important Changes

Looking forward to reading more, Jerry. From what you have so far said, I am assuming MDS will remain ... and hoping this is so.

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Kansas

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: Important Changes

To continue with my thoughts in my original post.

The past several years that I have spent pretty much in isolation {as much as possible outside my job/work} seem to fit with the process of isolation described in the hero journey. But something I have realized about this process is that it does not always fit with the cycles stated in the Campbell's Monomyth. Or better yet I see each stage having repeated stages within itself. At least in my life that seems to be the occurrence. Each stage is a process within itself, advancing to a higher knowledge with each personal experience. But each person has not only to experience the cycle stage but must also assimilate the experience within the psyche. For some it comes quickly. For others it takes more time. But in the end it does lead to new self knowledge and enlightenment.

The isolation. I am a 'certified extrovert', no doubt about that. Living away from people in isolation is anti to who I have been ever since I was a young man. My childhood was mostly introverted because of my life situation, living without what others had, poor, without the guidance of a father {the primary psychological force in my young adulthood}, feeling less than others, and thus the introversion. But since my late teens and after having discovered my true extroverted style {a story in itself-an black teacher leading me out of the depths} I did live that expected life of an extrovert. I yearned to be around people, be a member of the group, participating voluntarily and willingly in the social order.
But all along it was with this void I felt deep inside. I didn't know what it was but I felt it deep within. It came to a head in my early 30s but continued to brew for another 10 years or so until my early 40s. And my third failed marriage. I was wondering, without any guidance, other than what the ego required.

Then I happened upon Joseph Campbell and my life changed. I knew that very day I first watched Campbell in The Power of Myth there was something in his words that struck my soul. It would eventually lead me away from the gradual dissolution of the Old Self to becoming of the New Self. After 10 years of hard study of Campbell and Jung came the isolation {many books and audio books}.

I see this stage of my life as similar to the aged man in India who leaves his life behind and goes into the wilderness to contemplate life. To finally discover what fits best with who I am, where I am in my life, and how to fit in with society on my own terms. It seems to have evolved naturally, from a search for a place to live in a rural area, staying in that place for 5 years {5 the number for change} and then when having to once again give full time energies to my job {to help my son while he relocated}, I seemed to have reached that plateau where I am able to balance social requirements with my great desire for my dream work and MDS.

Part of my son's move was his leaving his home in Murfreesboro. My recent move was into that home, a change from the older mobile home I was living. And it is back within the city. What I envision ahead for the near future is to provide instruction of Jungian psyche and dreams to others in the immediate Nashville area. This is something I have wanted to do for some time but did not feel I was ready. With my move I feel that time has arrived. I sincerely believe this is a part of my 'calling', to share what I have learned, sharing the 'boones' I have received in my journey. The 'Freedom to Live' and be the 'Master of the Two Worlds' that is required for the moment. Job and family, my dreamwork and MDS.

Joseph Campbell: But if a person has had the sense of the Call -- the feeling that there's an adventure for him -- and if he doesn't follow that, but remains in the society because it's safe and secure, then life dries up. And then he comes to that condition in late middle age: he's gotten to the top of the ladder, and found that it's against the wrong wall.

The long term future {when I turn 62 in 2012} is to retire early and devote myself full time to my dream work and MDS. I have learned to live a life without material and monetary worth and am ready to live that life if need be to fulfill my desires for the future. To live a life of pure bliss, no obligations other than those I choose, dedicated to searching deeper with my soul and seek new discoveries of the psyche. For me that is bliss and I am working towards those goals.

Campbell:Life seems as though it were planned; and there is something in us that's causing what you hear of as being accident prone: it's something in ourselves. There is a mystery here… Can anything happen to you for which you're not ready? I look back now on certain things that at the time seemed to be real disasters, but the results turned out to be the structuring of a really great aspect of my life and career. So what can you say?

And the other point is, if you follow your bliss, you'll have your bliss, whether you have money or not. If you follow money, you may lose money, and then you don't have even that. The secure way is really the insecure way and the way in which the richness of the quest accumulates is the right way.

That is where I am in my journey. I don't know what tomorrow holds but for the first time in my life I know where I want to do, where I want to be. And I am working for that. It is sometimes difficult, the wait, and the conflicts that I must endure until that day {slaying the social dragons one at a time}. But it does seem to be as if it there is an orchestrated plan. Not by some super natural being we call a personal god but by nature itself. By staying the course, by living a spiritual life {ethics in my business, living life of WWJD/WWBD, of a higher consciousness} and believing in myself and that bliss I seek, nature has a mechanism to provide the helping hands to reach those lofty heights of the highest calling. I truly in this. And from the past 18 years since I first discovered Joseph Campbell, the experiences of the hero journey all fit with the monomyth. Not an exact fit, no two people are identical. But a fit nether-the-less and one that a person can witness firsthand through the experiences in life and of life.
I think so.

In ending I want to share one of the videos from Campbell's The Power of Myth. It was the catalyst in my life of spiritual and personal awakening and I know it can be for anyone who gets 'caught' by the myths, personal and universal. They are related, that I know. Related by the universal soul, the individual psyche.

The Hero's Journey

Joseph Campbell - The Hero's Journey

R-CANE-1 | MySpace Video

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

stats from 7-14-10 to the present