Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Poison Gift

In this dream I receive an ominous gift, there was no person that directly gave me the gift, it was just kind of there. This seems to be the focus and center of attention for the dream but there is also a strong feeling of some kind of malicious psychic connection or psychic intention coming from an external source. These were also my thoughts upon waking from the dream and I realized that I had actually moved my body into a position while sleeping to avoid poisoning myself, but now I'm getting way ahead of myself.. Backtracking now I contemplated on opening the gift and asked friends about what they thought. The gift was addressed to me from my mother with hand writing on the tag of the wrapper but I knew immediately that the gift was not in fact from my mother and in addition the handwriting was unrecognizable. I decided to open the gift regardless out of curiosity. It was odd; some type of cylinder shape maybe a foot long with a smaller cylinder shape, maybe the size of a small candle waxed or glued to the larger piece. The gift turned out to be poisonous and because I held it in my hands, my hands then became an instrument of destruction instead of healing. When I realized this I physically moved my hands away from my body. At this point in the dream I wake up and notice that my hands are moved into an odd and somewhat uncomfortable position in an attempt to avoid poisoning myself.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 30

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: A Poison Gift

Kenny,
An 'seemingly' inherited aspect that has caused negativity in your life. The poison would be from the experiences using this inherent aspect. This aspect should be something used to better your life but instead it has the opposite affect.
What would fit this 'cylinder' type aspect? It fits with the Freudian concept of a phallus but that would too easy. A cylinder is round, circular, which could point to a desire/need to find fulfillment in life. That may fit with your previous dream of needing to 'expand your horizons'.

The gift, perhaps a talent. Something you possess that has turned out to be a negative. Look at your life and see what may fit with this. Let me know your thoughts and perhaps we will be able to narrow the possibilities.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Ive thought about what it could be that is an inherited negative aspect but nothing directly comes to mind however, when you say this aspect "has caused negativity in my life", could the negativity be from not utilizing this aspect? It would make sense to me that not using this inherent aspect is a negative thing and therefore is the source of the negativity. Does that make sense? This theory seems to fit nicely with the poison being the lack of experiences using this aspect and like you said it is supposed to make my life better but has the opposite effect from not utilizing it. The cylinder shape could very well be about my previous dream on expanding my horizons, by using this aspect it would do just that. The gift would be the healing ability that I possess especially with my hands or maybe the strong empathy that I feel towards others so much so that I take on other peoples emotions/feelings sometimes.

If this doesn't quite seem to fit then I may have to go back and do some more thinking about what it could possibly be. Presently the details of my thoughts above are all major parts of my life.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

Kenny,
Did you consider the 'Freudian' possibility?

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

I'm not very familiar with what a Freudian possibility is but from what Ive read I don't think it fits. I never really knew my father so the jealousy factor is out. I don't feel that way about my mother at all and I have never been sexually abused. However I did fear losing my masculinity at one point maybe a few months ago and that feeling kind of stuck for a little bit and I was concerned that family members might think that I'm losing my masculinity as well, actually I still think that. Is there more that I should be considering about Freudian possibilities?

Kenny,
The Freudian approach is sexual. Jung broke away from Freud because of his {Freud's} insistence of the issue of the primacy of sexual motivation. The cylinder shaped gift in your dream, as a Freudian symbol, would be the phallus.

The dream could be addressing your concern of losing your masculinity. That could the poison in your dream. Since the 'gift' {again using Freud's sexual concepts} was not from your mother then it may be addressing traits inherited from your father.
Size could be an issue. The foot long cylinder compared to the smaller cylinder shape. Moving the hands away from the body may be saying something about such issues {something personal only you could interpret}.

Consider the above possibilities. Does any of it relate to your 'loss of masculinity'?

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

I don't think that I have any inherited traits that I consider to be negative, my size isn't an issue either. Well I do consider my father to be less than what a father should be since he abandoned me or I should say that he left my mother and I.

The fear of losing my masculinity was brought on by myself as I really became confused and lost my way. I started to try and change myself into an androgen by attempting to become feminine and throw away my masculine side. I think I started doing this because I had no sense of self, I never individuated myself. That has probably been the biggest obstacle that I've faced in my life so far and I am just now starting to individualize myself.

There is sort of a recurring notion in my dreams that I am starting to notice about a sexual encounter that I had as a young child. Actually several such encounters. My mother is who caught us in the act, myself and another child the same age.

Does any of this make sense relating to this dream though?

Kenny,
The encounters as a child could be why you are having these questions to your masculinity. That would fit the Freudian view. The dream gift from your mother may be the feminine qualities you associate with sexuality. The cylinder shape object would be the phallus, something you view as poison since it is opposite of who you thought you were. The confusion may be appropriate if your sexual identity is in question since you have yet to discover that true identity.

The encounters as a child {which are innocent in most accounts} may point to that true identity. But they may also be a source of confusion.

The ominous gift would be your true self. The 'strong feeling of some kind of malicious psychic connection or psychic intention coming from an external source' may be those encounters as a child that struck a cord to thaat true identity. The posion may be the denial of that true self, no matter which aspect it really is.

The issues having to do with the fears of losing your masculity sem to be at the core of the dream. There is an identity crisis there. You stae you have yet to 'individualize' yourself. Finding your true identity is paramount to that idividualization and this dream seems to be focused on that.

The inherent aspect would be from your parents. The feminine qualities vs the masculine.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Hi Kenny, your cylinder shaped thing reminds me of some of my dreams. Once I was in the warehouse with my two supervisers, they were unrolling this hose, as if it was this one guy's phallus, they were comically overexagerating the charades-like gesture. I laughed loudly and told them (as I'm dreaming) that I had a dream about just such an incident.

Using this as an example, it suggests to me that the phallus represents a kind of power or assertiveness, and helps compensate for the disproportion of it, in my life anyway. The most valuable thing I think I've learned from my digging up of the psychic world these last couple years, is that there is much healing and understanding and mystery to come, and in the process of this nature, the best one can do in the mean-time, is to promote it by organizing one's consciousness, and prepare it for the long task that nature imposes on us. This is a novel idea to me, since I'm just beginning to get past my 20's, but the idea is to take as serious and inquisitive a look at life as I do to the psyche. Enhancements in personality and proper reaction to the world is different for everyone, but it strikes me as something that changes slowly like the progression of a glacier, thus emphasising the laborous importance of a part of life that is serious. I hope I don't sound too much like a proselyte, but I'm writing for myself as much as you, to be sure. Much of my past is marked with petty regrets, I'm not afraid to have regrets. Now I am beginning to fathom the incremental advances that are required in the undoing of some of these behavioral forms.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 33, Montana

I failed to add the word "correcting" to the undoing. Since undoing is only a taking away, I also want fix or correct the problem. Which feels like a laborous and monumental task that is like the pyramids that actually took generations of passive and active dedication.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 33, Montana

stats from 7-14-10 to the present