Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swimming pool

Today i slept a few hours in daytime and had the next dream:

I am swimming in a swimming pool. The pool is quite big and there's only a few other people there. These other people are all outside the pool and they all seem to be at the other side of it. It's nice and quiet. It feels like i've been there for a long time already.
Then i am outside the pool. At a small distance i see an unknown man (about my age) appear. I feel attracted to him, even though i've seen him only for a few first seconds. I want to make an impression on him and my way to do so is by making a nice, ferm dive into the pool. Once again in the pool my best friend (woman) is swimming with me. Again no-one else is in the pool and i think there even isn't anyone around the pool anymore.
I swim around a little without much thought when all of a sudden an island appears in the pool. Like the earth has risen in a large part of the pool. There's not much left of the pool. The island consists of an almost white, sandy beach and with lots of green bushes and trees in the 'middle', though i can't really speak of a 'middle'.
Seeing the sudden appearance of this beautiful island without other people makes me feel happy; also gives me a feeling of safety, like: i still can swim, but there's earth (beach) nearby so i can take a rest whenever i want to.

A swimming pool is a body of water...handmade. Is it about emotions? Or should i see the pool as a symbol for my Self...It could be (water) my unconscious. Maybe even a certain part of my unconscious, because it is a handmade body of water...Pointing towards a certain something in my life that's still unknown to me.
The other, unknown, people around are all parts of me...unknown parts. The act of swimming may be about hoovering around in my emotions; or even more 'how' a move around in them. The fact that the unknown people aren't in the pool swimming with me, could mean that this swimming pool maybe is a symbolic quiet place in myself. My other parts (the unknown people) are there but i can look at them from a distance, which maybe points to a way of how to manage certain emotions, feeling...by being centered but observing from a distance.
The unknown man whom i feel drawn to...he suddenly appears. This man i think is my Animus. Maybe this possibly being more centered attracts the Animus to come closer...to get visible.
It's funny that in this i have not at all a fear to dive into the pool. In the past few years i've had several dream in which i was standing at a body of water but didn't have the guts to dive into it.
Then the sudden appearance of the beautiful island. Land in water...beach in water...rising land...something coming to consciousness? It also feels like: getting more grounded.

I think there's few little things in daily life that happened the past few days that have given me some insights. They were just small things, but it was like i've learned a lot from them.
According to this i think the swimming pool could also stand for just 'daily life'...simple 'daily life'. To take distance, to step out the emotions, to only observe for a while gave rise to something like stability. Not that it's in fact already there, but that little hunches were understood. The island then seems like a place where i can return to.

Well, lots of thoughts...and curious for other peoples ideas...

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 37, Holland

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: Swimming pool

Mask,
I will provide my comments later today. It will be good getting back into the routine of working with dreams. For the both of us.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Mask,
I see the swimming pool as you, the emotional aspects swimming within the unconscious. The outside would be your 'outside', the ego/persona outer world. The unknown man is you also, perhaps those still unknown aspects that are to be realized with time and experience. Future aspects, unconsciously contemplating the possibilities.
The island would be a symbol of the conscious ego's relationship to the unconscious. There seems to be a natural and positive relationship between the two. The 'middle' represent balance. It may also represent 'middle life/mid-life' {something perhaps that may be a result of my, and your own, focus on mid-life issues}.
Not much left of the pool? The more you explore the inner self the less there is to be discovered that was unknown. Earth and beach, residing and exploring both worlds, outer and inner.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi Mask,

Without assumption of "correctness," I offer a couple thoughts for consideration.

Looking at the function of "compensation," could it actually be that, still, you are uncomfortable in emotional waters, hence the arising of the island. However, contrasting with your earlier water dreams, there is perhaps an indication of progress.

The island could also be "self-containment," being alone, preferring to be alone ... it could be for emotional safety, but also for needed reflection/contemplation/relaxation.

A question to ask may be, why, when the man/animus appears, do you feel a need to make an impression/make a splash, resorting to emotional waters? Is it regressive? Could there have been other ways to gain and hold his attention?

Have you had any real life interactions with the masculine that this dream may have been speaking to?

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44, USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Hi Jerry,

Jerry {Host & WebMaster MDS Dream Forum}-PLEASE READ
Mask,
I see the swimming pool as you, the emotional aspects swimming within the unconscious. The outside would be your 'outside', the ego/persona outer world.

>>> When you look at the swimming pool that way it almost would seem that there's not a lot of emotional aspects within the unconscious...only me. But it could fit because in the dream, being alone in the pool felt nice and quiet.
If the outside of the swimming pool would be my ego/persona outer world, then the dream seems to show that from looking from the inside outward (from my place in the pool) i don't know the 'me' i show to the outer world. Because the people who were outside the pool were strangers to me.
Now...i've read your reply a few days ago already and just let it 'be' for a while. But while i read it again today i had to laugh, because of 2 experiences i had the last 2 days. In daily life there were actually 2 people who told me how/who they thought i am. One thought of me of being a very busy type (not) and the other thought i was a mother with children (not). Both their visions of me had made me laugh and it also made me think about all assumptions we all make when looking/thinking about other people. It's not that this last thing is new to me, but i found it quite surprising to hear what those 2 people thought about me. It also made me question myself, what do i show then to the outer world? So the dream seems to have come a little earlier...<<<

The unknown man is you also, perhaps those still unknown aspects that are to be realized with time and experience. Future aspects, unconsciously contemplating the possibilities.

>>> I know he is me and that there's still a lot of aspects and possibilities inside, waiting to be discovered.<<<

The island would be a symbol of the conscious ego's relationship to the unconscious. There seems to be a natural and positive relationship between the two. The 'middle' represent balance. It may also represent 'middle life/mid-life' {something perhaps that may be a result of my, and your own, focus on mid-life issues}.

>>> I like that symbolism...the island as a symbol of the conscious ego's relationship to the unconscious and the thought of a natural and positive relationship between the two. It sounds logical and if the dream is really pointing to this, it makes me feel happy. But...in real life...trying to visualize this natural and positive relationship between them, is very hard....because most of the time i feel very chaotic inside. (hmm, knowing that this chaos is my own 'fault' by always thinking and analyzing, so maybe this balance is there, but am i only not aware of it.
I the dream the island covered almost the whole pool and was, at a large part of the island, 'attached' to the outside of the pool...fits in your interpretation and makes me smile.
About the 'middle'...while thinking about the dream-picture of island in pool in fact the island didn't have a real 'middle'...About half of the outer part of the island was beach and after the beach the bushes and trees...after the bushes and trees there was the outer of the pool...hmm, better draw a picture haha. Maybe this green is sort of 'the product' of both water and beach...from unconscious to conscious gives facts/knowledge/experiences. <<<

Not much left of the pool? The more you explore the inner self the less there is to be discovered that was unknown. Earth and beach, residing and exploring both worlds, outer and inner.

>>> But could all water (disvovering the inner self) really disappear? Right now i like to picture it as: living out who i really am deep inside. Like the dream was showing sort of a bridge between the inner and outer me...like you wrote about the natural and positive balance...<<<

May i thank you for your reply...
Mask

Jerry

Kristi
Hi Kristi,

Without assumption of "correctness," I offer a couple thoughts for consideration.

Looking at the function of "compensation," could it actually be that, still, you are uncomfortable in emotional waters, hence the arising of the island. However, contrasting with your earlier water dreams, there is perhaps an indication of progress.

>>> The first thing i had to think about while reading 'uncomfortable in emotional waters' i about my experience with real water. In rl life i like water, natural waters especially. I've always like swimming. I like wild water and high waves...they make me feel a little scared but also amaze me.
What i found out the last few years: while on vacation i had the chance to learn (deep)sea diving, but though i found it very fascinating to get deep under the waterlevel my fear ruled and so i didn't took diving lessons. Instead i snorkeled. There have been several opportunities but i still have that fear. During these vacations i also made the conncection between deep sea diving in rl and deep diving in the emotional waters.
On one hand i am not afraid of showing my emotions to others at all. But of course...diving in the emotional waters is not all about that. To me, right now, diving in emotional waters is about totally letting go of all fears...trying to go with the flow...to 'just take the one dive in' and let myself be moved by the water...to let intuition stand next to the rational.
Maybe the island in the dream indeed is a symbol of some progress into that direction. I had this dream in a week during which i learned some little, but very important things for myself. <<<

The island could also be "self-containment," being alone, preferring to be alone ... it could be for emotional safety, but also for needed reflection/contemplation/relaxation.

>>> On one hand...yes, being alone, preferring to be alone. On the other hand...no, not preferring to be alone. (haha, difficult) Yes, i need reflection, relaxation etcetera. I think the island is symbol for an inner place of stability...<<<

A question to ask may be, why, when the man/animus appears, do you feel a need to make an impression/make a splash, resorting to emotional waters? Is it regressive? Could there have been other ways to gain and hold his attention?

>>> I have been thinking about these questions and had some possible answers, but while i was writing the above part another thought came up...I think it is possible that this unknown man is symbolic for all kinds of things that attract me. Things in life i should (dream of) go for. And this 'to go for' is 'me diving in the water'. Still this doesn't quite fit, because i also took the dive to attract this man. Another (following) picture comes into my mind now..and makes me think of a vicious circle.
Because...yes, there are certain things (and people) i feel attracted to and know i only have to take that dive to get things in motion to get closer to those things. Hmm, had something like a vicious circle in mind but writing the last sentence it already made some sense. Because when you really want something, one just needs to go for it...first you fake it then you make it...(like positive thinking, affirmations).
Thinking in another direction...why dive to get his attention? I like other people to think i am a strong person. Though i really have no idea if there are people around me who think i am not strong. I know at first it's only me who thinks of herself of being a not strong person. (while knowing i'm quit strong)
Maybe taking that dive is also about believing in the fact that i am strong...and maybe the appearance of the island after this is showing the same...or again, it is showing the appearance of stability in emotional waters when one believes in his/hers own strength.
On the other hand...is diving necessary? I like other people to know me as a strong person, but vulnerability is another (beautiful) thing. I think in vulnerability the real person is found easier then in strength. And then: in vulnerability lies strength.
Well, your questions are good food for thought!!!<<<

Have you had any real life interactions with the masculine that this dream may have been speaking to?

>>> Yes, (hmm, i think i'm slowly coming full circle about that dive), several. It makes me think of how i used to prefer 'peace'...afraid that if i would make any comment to someone (not only men)that person wouldn't like me any longer. But i got into situations where i couldn't any longer just keep my thoughts and opinions inside. I started to show my thoughts and opinions, which sometimes became nasty discussions. The fun part after them was finding that after having had a discussion with them they suddenly noticed me.
So, this could also be 'the dive'...by showing oneself (diving in/taking action) one is being vulnerable...and it takes strength to do that. By being passive and keep all things (thoughts/opinions and such) inside the attractive unknown man won't be attracted to me, because to him i'm invisable.<<<

Well, this is it for now, but i think my brain will go on analyzing the questions for a longer while..
Thanks!

Mask

stats from 7-14-10 to the present