Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leonardo DiCaprio Movie 'INCEPTION'-Invasion of the Dream

There is a new movie out today titled 'INCEPTION that may be worth seeing. Not only is it about the dream world {undoubtedly taking liberties with the dream} but also stars Leonardo DiCaprio, one the best actors in Hollywood. Below is the trailer to the movie.

I for one will definitely see the movie although I hate going to theatres because of the exorbitant prices they charge at the concession stand. I can not watch a movie without my popcorn but to pay such a price, it is not in my blood.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio Movie 'INCEPTION'-Invasion of the Dream

I just read some reviews, Jerry. Sounds like it will be a good-see. But, like you, the theater houses are much too pricey for my budget...and they don't even have real butter for the popcorn anymore!

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44, USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Movies that showcase such incursions into the psyche are of great interest for me since I do believe there are 'metaphysical' possibilities of greater knowledge we humans possess {I use metaphysical when in fact I really believe that such possessions are actually natural events, and not unnatural- metaphysical is a term that is recognizable and I do not need to look for less understandable adjectives}. One example I often use is the 'intuitive**' aspect. Being one of the original aspects of the primitive mind {and primitive man} we have lost touch with this sensory tool. But we still retain this psyche function and it can be a great tool in so many instances in the human environment. I credit it with helping me in my business dealings, being able to recognize the 'true' person beyond the ego persona {I may not remember a person's physical characteristics but those 'inner' characteristics I immediately recognize and retain}. Body and physical sciences have proven these deeper expressions that unconsciously presented in a person exist and can be recognized from training, or from a natural intuitive sense. It is said women are naturally intuitive {intuitiveness is a feminine aspect} but most anyone can improve the intuitive mind if they wish to do so. I would assume this movie {I hope to see it today} takes great liberties with this sense but even so I look forward to seeing it. DiCaprio alone is worth the effort, he being one of the best actors today and someone who shares many of the values I do.

**The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
Albert Eintein

Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Have just returned from the theatre and want to convey my impressions and feelings about the movie Inception. Overall I thought it was well done and in many parts I thought it was brilliant. DiCaprio was at his best {as usual} and the supporting cast was well represented and well done as well. The overall theme, after going through what at first seemed to be not related to the dream world, was true to the dream. The symbolism, especially in the later parts of the film, fit with my experiences with an actual dream and the successful attempt to which the movie went to convey the depths of the deep unconscious was the brilliant part. The different characters that would represent the different aspects, the wintry scenes {frozen emotions} where there is the need to penetrate the seemingly invincible barriers, the crumbling buildings, the many crashes that occur, even the 'kick' that brings them back to reality, these are symbolic representations that could be in a real dream. In the end I felt like an analyst, seeking to delve into the deep depths of the unconscious of the character, represented by the different individual ccharacters, and with the orchestrated attempt to do to do so being successful in the end. Whoever was responsible for writing the script did their home work. And whereas there is the Freudian influence, overall I felt the imprint of Jung.

Inception Into the Dream World

Although the plot was strictly movie world the impression for me was as an analyst seeking to break through and break down the barriers of someone who had very deep emotional conflicts. DiCaprio's character was in the end the person who had to overcome his deepest quilts {leading to the death of his wife}
I don't wish to tell too much of the story for those who have not seen the film
And whereas the focus seemed to be about another person's emotional conflicts it was the DiCaprio's character that was ultimately the person who had to go to the deepest depths to discover, and confront his demons. The movie theme had lots of action and at times{early on} it seemed to take too many liberties with the primary characters being invincible, being able to shoot faster and straighter and killing the bad guys {in the style of a Rambo}. But after some thought this too could easily fit with the fantasy of the dream, perhaps a bit of a neurotic hero but a hero {and heroine} none the less. Being able to control the dream {the inception is much in the way of lucid dreaming} by the inception or invasion of another person's dream {this is where the film takes liberties}. Not only is there the invasion of the dream world there is also the invasion by the multiple characters, a true stretch if taken literally. But in the dream world very little is to be taken literally. To do so could mean a true death and the not the symbolic death for which dream would fashion in a night's sleep. When you die in a dream it will wake you up from the dream. True to form, this adds to the plot of this film.

A Dream Within a Dream

To get to the deepest depths of the unconscious psyche there is a dream within the dream. What does a dream within a dream suggest? Having a dream within a dream may be safer and more acceptable way to express material from your unconscious. The dream within a dream protects you, the dreamer from waking up. Such dreams often reflect a hidden but crucial issue which you need to acknowledge and confront.

The film uses the dream within the dream to go deeper into the unconscious of the character. In a real dream there is a very high emotional state of mind and the dream within a dream can present the underlying causes without upsetting the dreamer to the extent he/she reaches a greater depth of negative response {dreams provide remedies to the emotional conflicts, they do not add to the conflicts}. Where there is a very deep emotional conflict a dream within a dream is sort of a protection from the darkest conflicts. They also can reveal those 'locked away' {repressed} aspects, in a way not to overload the dreamer with guilt or confusion. This is what the film suggests happens to the main character {DiCaprio}. It is, in its symbolic form, true to the actual analysis of a dream.

Symbolism

At first I began to think the movie was getting too 'deep' its attempt to impress the viewer. But in the end, if nothing else, the symbolism convinced me the writers were knowledgeable of the real dream world {I don't believe DiCaprio would a appear in a film that was not true to the dream-I sense he is someone who not only does his homework for a film but also some who is aware if not learned of Jungian psyche}. I won't go into detail of the symbolic scenes since it would most likely spoil the plot, and intent, of the movie for anyone who has not seen it. But as the movie enters the crucial phases the symbolic scences and references become more recognizable. The more I think back over the film the more I realize the actual associtaions to the true dream world, and how the film fits with the stages as well imagery of a dream. Of course just as with the symbolic representations we now recognize from Star Wars and the associations to Campbell's Monomyth, it requires some knowledge to recognize the associations. For a Jungian like myself it was as visible as the nose on my face. It may take a mirror to reflect the actual image but its representation is true, as is the symbolic language that the dream uses to express the emotional state of mind on the dreamer. As Campbell once stated, 'life is but a metaphor' and for anyone who knows the dream it is metaphorical of the dreamer's emotional, physical and spiritual life.

Jerry

Inception was the number one box office draw for the third week in a row. Even more impressive was the fact that the thriller beat out three new releases, all of which promised to be surefire contenders. "The Office" star Steve Carell's new comedy, "Dinner For Schmucks," took second place, followed by 'Salt' and 'Despicable Me'. A great showing for a movie dedicated to the dream world. Something we Jungians have a lot of experience.

Jerry

I went to the theater to see the late showing on Sunday evening. It was very good! I would like to go see it again. It does carry significant truth...such as the fact that even many engaged in dream work/analysis fail to see/realize: that we are dreaming (individually, and together/collectively) even when we are awake.

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44, USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Kristi,
It is an impressive movie and I believe it strikes an 'inner' cord with many of those who see it. That may be why it is doing so well at the 'box office'. Much like Star Wars the underlying theme resonates with the psyche. It hits upon truths that the dreamer is not consciously aware of. Plus it does have DiCaprio at his best. It is a positive occurrence since it does get people to realize dreams can be important. The possibilities within the psyche are still being discovered. The movie is a stretch but you never know what may come with the future.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present