Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Secret Knowledge

Yesterday I watched a History Channel program about the various 'gospels' that were not included in the bible and some of the reasons why {a primary reason having to do with orthodoxy and the exclusion of the feminine **}. Of course I was very familiar with many of the discarded texts since they were a part of Joseph Campbell's teachings involving such heretical books. But something interesting about these text regarding the terminology again reminded me that is associated with Jungian psyche. It has to do with the 'secret knowledge' that many of the texts alluded to, especially the Gnostic Gospels which were deemed heretical by the early church.

This is a subject also presented by Elain Pagels {who has become a frequent retain authority on many of the History Channel programs} and the subject of a page I created years ago on Gnostic teachings Gnostic Gospels. A paragraph from that page:
What is interesting about the Gnostic gospels is that they do not deny what is said about Jesus in other gospels, but rather testify that they contain secret teachings of Jesus that their authors believed needed to be preserved. Iraneus, the Bishop of Lyon in France, was one of many Church officials who denounced this literature circulating Europe and defended the four gospels that the Church had selected to be in the canon as the only authentic gospels--because "there are four principle winds, four pillars that hold up the sky, and four corners of the universe; therefore, it is only right that there be four gospels."

What is this secret knowledge that Jesus so often spoke of and reputably revealed to certain disciples and others. Not going into great detail that knowledge was 'an inner knowledge', something Jesus 'consciously' conveyed to those he felt worthy. An inner knowledge that the 'kingdom of God' is to be found within and not something that is outside oneself that needs to be brought in.

Compare this to what Jung advocates as the source of true harmony and balance in ones psychological life. His 'Individuation Process is all about 'going inward' to discover one's true Self. It is not something outside that brings about psychological balance but within oneself, a search and realization of the life one has lived, the influences that make up who the individual has become, and bringing those experiences to light so the individual can recognize them and put them in their proper place. You can not slay the demons within until you know what they are.

Of course the Gnostic Jesus was about spiritual matters also. Take Jung's instruction that of those 1000s of patients he counseled it was those who discovered their spiritual being that were cured. Jung includes in the different aspects of the psyche a spiritual aspect, better know to those of us who are true Jungians has to do with the Self. In the heading of this page is the inclusion of this statement"

Hero archetype: a Self symbol, but where the god symbolizes the collective unconscious, the hero is a mixture of it with human consciousness {Examples: Jesus & the Buddha}. It's an anticipation of an individuation process approaching wholeness.

Of course when we speak of heroes we must look to Campbell for proper guidance. The Power of Myth is often still used in fundraising events for many PBS stations across the nation, some 23 years after its first showing. The ultimate quest of the hero/heroin is spiritual, and to advance to this state of being is fully a psychological adventure. Each one of us has a story to be told and when we enter of the realm of the hero journey we too become heroes, a full death and resurrection of self to SELF, a death to the control of the ego centered self and a resurrection to the spiritual identity of SELF.

One point I gained from this program was that Jesus used this 'secret knowledge' to his advantage, conveying these truths to those who not only were worthy but who also would play a role in his own death and resurrection {as is the story of the Gnostic tale of Judas}. Although this so called secret knowledge is what we now recognize as purely Jungian psyche, lesser minds did not know this {which is still true today}. I think of today's Jungians as modern day Gnostics, possessing a 'secret knowledge' where the only secret involve is realizing that it is 'within' oneself. Instead of chasing after outer explanations to the spiritual and personal truths one seeks, well, those of us with broader horizons have recognized it is an 'inner journey' that must be undertaken. 'Lesser' minds depend on faith where as those who 'know' look to experience, our own life experiences to better understand who we are and see how we became that person.
A really simple equation.

Note: Buddhism is the one spiritual concept that properly recognizes the power of the feminine and the need for balance of masculine/feminine. It is no wonder why both Jung and Campbell so often used this concept in offering remedies to the wounded soul.

** exclusion of the feminine
My thinking is the church is afraid of the feminine psyche because they know it possesses greater powers than the masculine. In the outer world the church {most all religions} delegate women as lesser than man. Woman is to be subservient to man. But in truth, in the human psyche, it is the feminine aspect that is more powerful. Intuitiveness being one psyche characteristic already mentioned but the qualities of loving, caring, compassion being qualities that better equate to the spiritual being. Jesus lived from the feminine aspect. Organized religions, at least the authorities to be, recognize the power of the feminine and to be able to hold on to power they must denigrate if not demonize the feminine. Whether it be Catholic, Protestant, Islam, Judaism or Hinduism, women are treated as lesser beings. Even as we destroy the Great Mother Earth and the tale-tale signs that we are doing just that, the patriarchal world fails to 'SEE'.
As stated above, lesser minds.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Secret Knowledge

Hi Jerry,

thank you for posting this! It really interested me. The secret knowledge...the power of the feminine...

While reading it i thought about that year where i learned so much about myself, the spiritual...where i suddenly was writing poetry and much more...And i somehow have the feeling that all that, back then, has to do with that power of the feminine.

Your post also made me think of a dream i had over a year ago (or even longer). In this dream i was searching and searching. I did this searching by looking at a wall, which was covered with several clockworks...all set in different times. I felt very sad and kept on searching. Then, all of a sudden, i look at the wall on my left and even before i saw what was written on it i knew that i finally had found it and started crying.
The words on that wall were: "Holuraziel, the angel who fakes."

Of course i did a lot of searching and had someone else (dream interpreter) look at the dream. Of the Holuraziel i made 'holy Raziel'...after having found the name of an angel called Raziel. This angel was known because of the book of Secrests. The dream-interpreter wrote something about 'first you fake it, then you make it'...I think this was some kind of answer to 'all my searching for'...

There are a very few times that i find it very hard to believe that dreams really have something to say, but then again...i've had dreams that realy helped me. This dream then, about Holuraziel, made me doubt my sanity again. Holuraziel...i knew there were people believing in angels, but i didn't and don't know if i believe in them right now. But how is it possible, without the knowledge about angels, that a dream comes up with holuraziel? To me, at the times that i find my thinking sane enough, dreams like these just seem to be the proof that there's much inside and around us then we can see with naked eye...

Greetings,
Mask

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 37, Holland

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: Secret Knowledge

Mask,
Although I am a avid student of the dream I do not analyze many of my dreams unless I deem them to be important or they leave a strong presence after I awake. Most dreams deal with everyday conflicts {although if you look deeper in the dream, any dream, they are also addressing other aspects of the dreamer's life}. I do believe there can be too much an emphasis put on interpreting every dream. Dreams are to help assist the dreamer in their journey to wholeness. Unless there is a on going therapy with a trained analyst that is confronting deep and serious psyche disorders I suggest the use of dreams as a tool as assisting and not as the only 'tool' to discover inner truths. "BIG' dreams are important but they happen only when the dreamer's life is at a point of great transition or realization. Or when the dreamer really needs to better understand the deeper layers of the truth within the life {this occurs more often than a BIG dream}. This is when I take the dream and break it down.

But, I do not suggest that those who keep a dream diary to not to continue to do so. Such day to day diaries can help realize patterns of emotional behavior and conflicts. Keeping a diary is the best route to take if one wants to analyze their dreams on a regular basis. Otherwise I suggest analyzing the dream when one believes it is a big dream or wants to understand the emotions of a recent or on going conflict.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present