Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Peru

In advance I had a dream that deeply horrified me and depressed. The only thing I remember about it is the image of a goddess throning on the dark throne in huge light blue space. Her large figure was probably in the shadow, I could not see any detail of her apperance – except the whole silhouette which seemed to be classical.
But it is possible that these bad feelings were not connected with this motif directly.

The other dream was much more pleasant. My friend and her boyfriend just returned from their holiday in Peru. She said that the last day they had spent in Andes, because it is the best, they do that always. I asked her, if the condors had been there. „A lot,“ she answered.
At another moment we both were in Andes. It was very early morning, the Sun has not been in the sky yet, everything was veiled with the light blue mist. There were also some other pastel shades: pink or violet. Me and my friend we were walking the stony path of the edge of a mountain. Mountains in the surrounding were high grassless rocks with some snow on their peaks. Two Peruvian Indians (men) accompanied us. They wore some knitted clothes, knitted were also their hats which looked blue-grey in this morning semi-darkness.
I just recognized that „in fact I have always desired for a South-American Indian man“ and this idea was illustrated with the „picture“ of white flag with the image of a head of an Indian in ¾ profile. It was painted in vivid realistic colours (orange, yellow).
Suddenly I found myself standing up on high on the branch of a tree. Under my feet there was fixed a narrow light wooden platter (light wood or white colored). I saw the Indians in the depth, they sat down under the tree. I did some simple activity – maybe I took off a sweater or little packsnack – while I was fully concentrated to keeping balance. Then I very slowly, with the same concentration, sat down on the platter. Giddiness disappered and I felt secure.
The tree probably grew on the highest part of the mountain, it was leafy but I did not see any leaf. I am sure it was not dry, I suppose it was in the winter or (more probably) in the early spring. I am also sure that I had not climbed to the top of tree. I did not look up but I think that my friend – as my guide – was somewhere above me.

I have no idea about first dream because I do not know what exactly caused my bad feelings.

My friend and her boyfriend were in fact returning from their holiday at Crete this weekend. The fact that Crete, one of the Greek islands, was replaced with country of another continent, I suppose can mean that it was the Unconsciousness where some friendly parts of me stayed.
The mountain and the tree I think indicate it is dream about a state of individuation process. It says something like: you are on the journey but there is a lot of work before you (I ahave not been on the top of the tree yet).
What is also emphasized is the presence of animus (condors like eagles as symbol of animus, dualism of archetyp of animus (two Indians), recognizing that an Indian „has been the one I have always desired for“.
But animus is still unconscious – it is not my friend´s boyfriend who represents him but strange Indian(s). Animus stays under the tree, near its roots (the Unconsciousness which he stays to be a part of although he can be observed from the high of the Counsciousness too).
Maybe the horror of the first dream related to the lack of male aspect (the God). Then the second one can be assumed as its compensation and softly shows me the importance of the male part of my psyche.

I am sorry for my English and thank you for your ideas.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 42, Czech republic

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? no

Re: Peru

Ela,
I'll try to provide insights to your dreams later today or in the morning. Social duty beacons this morning and my time is limited.

As for the first dream and your question about the relationship of the motif your 'bad feelings'. Yes, the mythological motif is most likely representative of your current emotions. Symbolic images of dreams and myths are definitely related. This large figure would likely be some aspect of your psyche and the actions she displays in the dream would fit your waking life/emotions. You may even be able to determine even more associations with this 'shadow' character to your own life. Of course it depends on the context of her appearance and actions that determine whether she fits you or is an opposite of you. As with the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde motif we all possess a shadow figure. But the application can be best determined by other symbolic metaphors in a dream. Is there a particular myth you feel fits you and this dream?

Since you seem to possess some knowledge of this subject matter you should be able to determine what applies from a particular motif. Perhaps the second dream, even with its more positive tone, will provide clues to this dream.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Ela,
Your dream does seem to be about achieving balance, something that requires an elevation to the highest 'peaks' of the Self. Although the condor can represent self-renewal they are also creatures that devour the flesh of other animals. Perhaps that has to do with a renewal of devouring the ego so to achieve spiritual cleansing, death to the ego and a rebirth/resurrection to the spiritual. The greatest requirement of achieving balance and harmony in life is the death and resurrection of self to Self.

In the dream you are on the edge of the mountain, on a branch of a tree. As you stated you have not reached the top of either. So goes the path in life. We spend our whole lives struggling to reach the top {a balanced and harmonious life}.

And there is the 'masculine' which is constantly present in the dream. You recognize in your waking life a need to incorporate the animus and the dream may be confirming that need. There are unconscious forces that keep you from this achievement. That could be from childhood experiences or actual experiences having to do with the culture of your country {the Czech republic's struggle for independence}.

'fully concentrated to keeping'. How is this achieved? 'I saw the Indians in the depth, they sat down under the tree'. The tree of life, the Bodhi Tree under which the Buddha achieved enlightenment, your own personal growth. {Indians may represent the primitive mind, those resources to be found within the deepest rescesses of the unconscious psyche}. This may be where you are on your path, realizations that may led to greater things.

In the first dream there is the shadow. There is a darkness and a goddess on her throne. Such images remind me of Joseph Campbell's instruct that images of this kind in a dream often represent a great realization, perhaps an elevation to the next level {in your quest for balance and harmony} on your path. I had such a dream {the image was of Kali the 'Black one'} at a time of great transformation in my life some 12 years ago.

'The tree grows out of the mountain'. Realizations grow from the many experiences of the great struggle in life. Yet there is not leaf, possibly due to the unconscious animus forces that are still be be recognized and confronted. You have not reached the top of the tree, have yet to ascend to the top of the mountain {Martin Luther King's speech of getting to the top of the mountain}. But you have a friend, and a guide. And it is above you.

One of my beliefs in the struggle for wholeness is that 'the spiritual path is a psychological journey'. This is the 'above you' aspect that must be realized. Those psychological forces in your life that keep you from wholeness, that can lead to wholeness. Your guide is that positive attitude. Perhaps you have a guru {mine are Jung and Campbell}. Such teachers can help you achieve wholeness but to reach the top you must look to your own inner resources. Look inward, go inward. What you will find is that spiritual identity and it will take you to the promise land.
Do not be afraid of the 'shadow'. If you concentrate and stay disciplined while on your journey you will reach those highest peaks.

Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Thank you, Jerry, for your time and insights. I have not responded yet because I have thought about it.
Thanks to your idea of the Shadow (for the first dream) I realized how useful is view of another man – I was really blind to this interpretation although I even used the word „shadow“ to describe this figure. Maybe it is for shadow-figures in my dreams usually do not appear so dramatically and do not shock me.
You asked me for any idea of the particular myth which would fit with my situation. Because there was no action (or at least I do not remember it) I concentrated to the appearance of the figure and to my original impression that it was a Goddess. It reminded me „Black Goddess“ or „Black Madonnas“ and I found some information about it: http://www.mamiwata.com/Madonna.html. I think Jung and Karl Kerényi wrote about it too in their Essays on a Science of Mythology, but I do not remember details. So, black Goddess is something like Mother Earth with both positive (fertility, abundance, healing) and negative (death) aspects. And – I have to face both of them, because I feel rather strong repulsion to body, to substance (if it is the right word), but also to all pathological changes of it, which probably means fear of life and death. This denying of life and death is almost uncouscious: I am surprised what I am writing, and thinking, about.
This night I had a dream about Shadow again. It was young woman with dark hair who wore black-blue T-shirt (the color of shadow). I jostled to her in a crowded vehicle. Then I was sitting next to her and she said: „I just prop my belly,“ and I noticed she was pregnant and she propped her belly upon the wall of the vehicle. I felt ashamed because of my agressiveness.

Thank you again you helped me!
Ela

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Thank you very much for your detailed response.
I am sorry - my mail from 6,45 AM has not reflected your new message yet. I will reply tomorrow (shortly - I promise).

Ela,
Your Goddess or feminine guide was the Black Madonna. Mine was Kali, black death of the Hindu myth. Joseph Campbell says when such a 'large black woman' appears in a dream it is an important dream. It usually occurs at a great transition or realization in the dreamers life. It often represents a 'death and resurrection' in some phase of the life. Pay attention to such dreams and compare them to your waking life.

As for your last dream. There are still aspects of your shadow that need to be understood, recognized or perhaps confronted. Jostling with the woman with 'dark hair' suggests you are still 'jostling with aspects of your inner shadow self. The crowded vehicle {the vehicle is you} may suggest there are many aspects to this shadow or many emotions or experiences having to do it. The propping of her belly may represent your processing and integrating ideas and feelings from the unconscious to the conscious level. Realizations of the unconscious to consciousness. Being pregnant may represent 'new things' are about to be born. Something is growing within you and may be ready for conscious realization.

Jung believed {and developed} in the theory of Synchronicity
. Synchronicities are people, places or events that your soul attracts into your life - for one reason or another. It could be by analyzing your dreams you have been attracted or directed to the Dream Forum where you are collecting valuable data that will help you in this time of transformation and/or realizations about your shadow. My great 'synchronised' experience occurred in 1992 when I just happened to turn my Television to PBS on a Sunday afternoon and discovered Joseph Campbell for the first Time {The Power of Myth with Bill Moyers}. I knew that very day my life had changed and I have been on that path ever since.
Or perhaps by trying to better understand your shadow is the event that will help in this transition or realization. If you stay with it you will undoubtedly benefit greatly and it may be a 'GREAT' transition.

At least that is my experience.

Jerry

Jerry, thank you a lot for your deep insights and kind stimulation.
I just read the article “The shadow knows“ by Evelyn Henry on your website carefully and I will try to recognize particular content of the shadow by observing oncoming dreams and by some methods she suggested. I have been making attention to my dreams for 4-5 years, I have read several Jung´s books and I have attempted to interpret these dreams in Jungian way. But now I see how potential is to discuss them – and not only my dreams: reading interpretations of the dreams of other people seems also really worthy.
To Synchronicity (but this is only a random) – Today I spoke to my friend who had occured in my second dream and who had in reality returned from Crete. She told me about her and her boyfriend´s hiking tour to some mountain, then they had looked to big flying birds from the top.
Thank you again and have nice day!

Ella,

Ah yes, Synchronicity! This is the most controversial of Jung's theories. And hard to prove. But when we look back at our 'chance' encounters that turn out to be major interventions that often prove to be life changing events, we have to wonder, 'was it a Synchronistic event'? My great experience which I have repeated many times at the Dream Forum was the Sunday afternoon I had return home from running errands with my wife and as soon as I got in the door, went to the television and turned it on. The station was tuned to the local PBS channel {even before my 'rebirth' I was an enthusiastic viewer of PBS} and I saw Bill Moyers {someone I was very familiar with, he being the one time press secretary for Lyndon Johnson} talking with this guy named Joseph Campbell {someone I had never heard of}. The subject was mythology, a subject I had little knowledge of. It turned out the program was the first of six hour long conversations entitled 'The Power of Myth' and it is still a staple video series PBS stations across the country often use for fundraising promotions.
I sat through the program and was soon mesmerized by the conversation. When the program ended I was totally enthralled and I remember thinking to myself, 'this is important'! I knew something had occurred that would be meaningful in my life.

That experience took place 18 years ago. I was so taken by that conversion, and the next five hours of programming that followed on consecutive Sundays, I began to read all I could about Campbell and mythology. That led to Jung and the dream. And as I sit here I can honestly say it has become who I am, that one moment in time 18 years ago being a transformation from the old self, to the discovery of the new Self. And just how big a transformation it has been is not ordinary. From a couch potato with little inclination to use mental facilities beyond making judgements of who will win the next football game to someone who lives to think, loves the philosophical conversation, and believes the real world is 'within' and the outer world is a dream {speaking metaphorically, or am I?}.

As I look back the whole transformation experience was during my mid-life years. Now at the age of 60 {an age I don't look, feel or act, often passing for someone 10-15 years younger-entirely related to the physical routine I religiously have followed since the late 70s} I am looking forward to early retirement at 62 so I can put all my efforts to my dream work at the Dream Forum and to broaden the pages of Myths-Dreams-Symbols. This is the creative path that both Campbell and Jung spoke of as being the center of a soulful life of bliss, balance and harmony, for anyone who recognizes the journey as a just that; surrendering to the soul's desire for creativity and spirituality. The creativity is in my dream work and building the pages at MDS. The spiritual part is in the desire that my words of interpretation helps others realize their path and how to proceed in achieving balance and harmony, and how I conduct myself in the social realm where I have less control of those forces outside my creative domain. That involves ethics, honesty and a desire to provide a service and product for others that reflects how a spiritual person should live life. WWJD-WWBD. What would Jesus do in any social interaction with his fellow human contacts? How would Buddha consciousness fit with those same interactions? A spiritual approach to everything I do in life, not a cursory attempt to placate the ego. Religious people live that kind of life, a vain attempt to look spiritual. A truly spiritual person walks the walk as well as talks the talk.

My rewards for living a creative/spiritual life. Bliss when working with the dream. And those times when I get a response from and interpretation such as "Oh my God. You just blew me away" {with your interpretation}.

And in the social realm where I find myself putting so much of my energies to my business? In this time of the 'Great Recession' business has been bountiful. And it is a direct result of providing a good, honest service, letting ethics be the driving force in how I approach the business world. Not solely to make a living but realizing I am making an impact on someone else's life. That is important to me. The approach of WWJD-WWBD works and it will work for anyone who walks the walk. I am confident in this because I believe in nature there are those mechanisms that insure such results. if there is any such thing as a true metaphysics, beyond the physical realm of experience, it is within nature. Not unnatural, just seldom utilized as it should be.

At least that is my belief system, one I live by {Myths to Live By}.

Now, I must be off to slay the social dragon.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present