Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hanged Man Tarot, Odin

First off, I started a Daily Tarot card. On Monday, my first day, I pulled The Hanged Man.
On Monday night I had a dream about Odin, the Norse God. It went like this ...
I was at work (the post office) and while I was working on sorting the parcels, I pulled out a box the was addressed in red ink. And while I do not recall the 'address' portion of the parcel, the 'name line' read, "Odin Tree" .
I somehow was aware that I was in a dream, and that this was something important to me. I told myself that I should get up and write it down, but was unable to become fully awake enough to do so. Nor did I dream of anything further. ( At least not that I can remember).
On Tuesday, I drew the 5 of Swords.
While I have discussed this with a few friends, and shared what I thought it meant, it was suggested that Odin is no small matter, and I should look into a bigger meaning.
I would appreciate any additional input to weigh.
Thanks !

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44 Ohio

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes, but it's been a few years

Re: Hanged Man Tarot, Odin

Jennifer,
While I do not subscript to tarot I do not dismiss the possibilities. I do believe karma, the vibes you put forth from your psyche, can influence surroundings.

As for Odin. I suggest you take a good look at the myth and see what 'he' represents' and how that applies to your life. He would represent an aspect of your animus, or your masculine aspects. Here is a brief outline of that myth....The Rune Legend of Odin.

Here is an excerpt from the myth of Odin that may be of significance:
Still, the Allfather was not fully satisfied in his quest for wisdom. On the way back through the desolate heath, he came upon a leafless tree. It was the Fogmoon and the frosty twilight permeated the landscape. Suddenly, his coat was caught in the branches of the tree. Odin hung between heaven and earth.

I highlited the leafless tree because it may suggest there is no growth. That may be associated with where you are in life having to do with personal growth. If it is written in red it must be meant to get your attention.

A dream within a dream {see my post Leonardo DiCaprio Movie 'INCEPTION'-Invasion of the Dream }, scroll down to the bottom and read 'A Dream Within A Dream'. This may suggest you need to reach deep down into the psyche to fully recognize the energies of this masculine aspect of Odin. He carries a sword and is a warrior god. This is often a pattern of religious/spiritual affiliation {God of Abraham also fits this model}. Yet Odin is caught between heaven and earth.
From the myth:
Odin struggled with himself for the ultimate wisdom. Nine nights he hung on the windswept tree. His inner being gradually grew clearer and more luminous. Now he finally found the symbols of life's noblest values.

I highlited two words. Nine and symbols. Nine in Jungian terms is the number for wholeness and is a universal symbol for the goddess. Symbols, these would represent your own inner symbols from the dream and your personal myth {your life as it 'truly' is and not how it is perceived by the ego}.

The waking feelings from a dream are very important. This may be a time in your life of great realizations, and possibly important changes. Since you have recently taken up tarot it only seems probably you are searching. At 44 your are in the prime of mid-life and the 'search' is a natural aspect. A spiritual search is most always a part of that inner need also.

Let me know your thoughts. Any info about where you are on your journey would be important.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

I thank-you for the reply, as it is helpful.
When I was reading the highlighted areas a few things popped out for me. One, on the animus, "This means that if, instead of acknowledging and becoming acquainted with your own soul-image, you project it on to members of the opposite sex, you may be led into disastrous relationships. For example, an emotional man may choose a blue-stocking for his partner; or a sensitive woman may be irresistibly attracted by bearded intellectuals."
I am a 'sensitive woman' who has been involved with a 'bearded intellectual' (my boyfriend heads the physics lab at a local University). We have been together for nearly 4 years, and in that time I have discovered, that I am not always my true self, at first to allow him what I thought was the space he needed to be himself (his ex ran the whole show). I myself am most often a leader and independent type person, but have backed off and let him set the tone of where our relationship is going, and at what pace. I have discussed with a close friend my unhappiness with how things are now moving along. (I want a commitment of some type, while he says he just wants to continue dating and leaving things as they are, he is not ready for commitment) I have discussed with him, and this is where you talked about the leafless tree and no growth comes into play, I said almost those exact words to him before. That as a couple, if we don't more forward we cannot grow together, and if there is no growth, I feel we are not being all that we could be.
The 'wholeness' and 'goddess' symbols just makes me smile, as I am pagan. I feel at my best when I am actively working with the Lord and Lady, as I refer to the divine.
As far as the dream itself being me at work, that part has always been significant to me, now only more so. I know I must work ( to care for me family, pay bills, etc) but my job is stressful, I work really crazy hours, sometimes up to 56 hours a week, and I have for years resented the way it interferes with my home life, my spiritual life, and my relationship. There is also definately "no growth" at the post office, both outwardly (read the papers) and inwardly. Any changes in work positions is strictly done on a seniority basis and my 16+ years is really not that much. So I feel stuck in a rut at my job too.
Thanks again for the reply, it helps give me a newer way of seeing things.
Jennifer

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44 Ohio

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes, but it's been a few years

Jennifer,
I will try to answer your questions so make as much sense as I can. If I want to do one thing in my attempt to interpret Jung I wish to make the language easier to understand. Jung can be 'deep' and hard to follow in much of his writing, Campbell is great at 'articulating" what Jung meant but getting there requires some digestion of Campbell's books and essay. I may use resources from other sources to help complete my thoughts on the subject, something that is easy to do with so much information available via the internet.

Your question,
"This means that if, instead of acknowledging and becoming acquainted with your own soul-image, you project it on to members of the opposite sex, you may be led into disastrous relationships. For example, an emotional man may choose a blue-stocking for his partner; or a sensitive woman may be irresistibly attracted by bearded intellectuals?

The animus is the archetype that completes women, that is, it contains the male qualities which the *persona lacks. The animus of a woman and the anima of a man take the form of a "*soul-image" in the personal unconscious; this soul-image may be transferred to a real person who naturally becomes the object of intense feeling, which may be passionate love OR passionate hate. The OR depends on the individual and their evolution of experiences.

*persona - the outer or social self that faces the world
*soul image - he soul-image is a specific archetypal image produced by the unconscious, commonly experienced in projection onto a person of the opposite sex.

Example
For an idealistic woman, a depraved man is often the recipient of the soul-image; He fulfills those masculine qualities which the females persona lacks . He often is see as the "saviour-fantasy". It is the woman's soul crying for help for fulfillment of what is lacking in the woman's persona. A relationship is entered into which will initially thrive on the basis of the projected soul-image. Inherently symbiotic, they often end badly.

So to answer your specific question, assuming it may have associations for which you suspect in yourself, the animus projection would be someone you have projected this image on, a specific person, more likely a close and/or intimate relationship. It does not mean you necessarily cast this image on all men, just those men or that particular man you perceive who will fulfill your lack of particular masculine qualities. Wherever an impassioned, almost magical, relationship exists between the sexes, it is invariably a question of a projected soul-image.

Just as we tend to assume that the world is as we see it, we naively suppose that people are as we imagine them to be. . . . All the contents of our unconscious are constantly being projected into our surroundings, and it is only by recognizing certain properties of the objects as projections or imagos that we are able to distinguish them from the real properties of the objects.....
for more see the CGJung Page Projection

Your relationship seems have a projection aspect to it but a recognition that it often does not let you be your true self may supersede the projection idea. What may be occurring in the relationship is you have projected actual missing masculine qualities that are you lack onto you bf but it has more to do with a general role and not a specific projection of the animus.
Often this condition has to do with daughter/father relationships during childhood. How much is your bf like your father, or in the opposite position 'unlike' your father. Either can be a product of projection, the 'love' or 'hate' emotion being a result of your particular personality.

From what you state your bf does seem to possess a lot the opposites of your true self. As a matter of psychological clarity the animus projection issue is certainly important. But from personal experiences I believe it just as necessary to understand the position you find yourself in with the relationship and not the determination if this is a 'soul image'. Is it not more important to determine if this is a true 'soul mate'? The perfect man as a soul mate may be asking for too much but if he adds fulfillment to your life then he is more likely a good potential soul mate. If, as you say, the relationship does not allow you to be your true self, that would present real problems since wholeness depends on being that true self. If there is an unhappiness, as you state, no matter the defining symbolic nature of the relationship {animus projection}, you can not progress in your personal growth. You can not be that true self.

Its interesting that this question come up at this particular time since I am deeply focused on the idea that personal experience and a knowledge of 'common sense' can provide good insights as much as an psychological explanation. Although I can relate, and intuitively understand the probable underlying psychological condition {possible animus projection}, it is the objective approach that often involves the 'common sense' that provides the best answer to the 'question'. In my thinking you have already asked the question that will provide the correct answer to the relationship.
That as a couple, if we don't more forward we cannot grow together, and if there is no growth, I feel we are not being all that we could be.

Projections aside, the reality of the relationship is best how to judge where it should go. Or end.

As for the image of Odin in your dream and the possible application to your psyche. The application may be more about a quest for knowledge as anything. This would require possessing a 'masculine attitude' on your part and since you tend to relent to your bf taking the lead, the symbolic reference may be the need to develop a stronger masculine self so you can be take back that lead position. It may less about projection as it is courage and discipline, both of which are masculine qualities, qualities I would think Odin possessed. How to use it is what left him/you hanging.

Odin struggled with himself for the ultimate wisdom. Nine nights he hung on the windswept tree. His inner being gradually grew clearer and more luminous. Now he finally found the symbols of life's noblest values.
Since Odin represents a masculine aspect of your psyche, Odin would in effect be 'you'.

The reference to nine and symbols may be pointing to the truest of life's 'noblest values'. Because of the number nine I see the feminine as a value to be considered. The symbol may be pointing to the 'noblest values' as the feminine, you, possessing a strong masculine quality. This would apply to the quest for inner knowledge as well as with the relationship with your bf {let's remember Jung's concept that all dreams possess at least two meanings}. Your approach to the spiritual life {pagan} is different from most {more close to my position}

Your social being is encumbered by the necessity to serve the dragon {my reference to social duty, work and responsibilities that are required by the system just to make a living-it is stacked against the average person}. This is a primary task of the hero/heroine in 'slaying dragons'. That and a rebirth to the spiritual condition. Joseph Campbell remarked that 'Nirvana' {Buddhisms equivalent to haven} is a psychological condition where the individual is 'indifferent' to fear, desire and social duty. In today's world we can not even get past social duty let alone our fears and desires.

But that is the task in life, the hero deed, to overcome all obstacles by living a spiritual life and discovering that bliss in life. That usually involves the creative aspect. It is a long journey to wholeness, finding that true self. You have to be that self or you will be defined, controlled and measured by others.
It is the emotional self that is the primary demon that gets in the way. Relationships are always emotional. Many ways to approach the subject but if you look at things objectively and not subjectively {emotionally} I believe you will have a better chance of success. I can speak from experience on many of these matters of the heart and after all that has happened in my life I firmly believe it is most important to develop an objective view of life. Not letting the emotional self control what should be an objective decision. May sound a bit cold but if you live a spiritual life there are plenty of emotional values to possess that make you human. Living life from the feminine aspect, as Jesus did and not as a patriarchal God, that is where I try to position myself in my quest for wholeness.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present