Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dream of fishing

I had a dream of fishing with my dad. Somehow I lost the fishing pole and it submerged in water. I got my second fishing pole and everything was okay. Then I remembered my friend, Ian, no longer uses his fishing pole, I was going to ask him for his. He has one of those big strong fishing poles, the one you use for catching big fish in the sea.

In real life, I have never gone fishing with my dad. I only have one fishing pole. My friend Ian does not having a fishing pole. But my friend esther did go Sturgeon fishing last week.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 30

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: Dream of fishing

Leo,
Having used Freud as a point of conversation in my last interpretation, I think it important to mention those possibilities in response to your dream. But I don't see it as the best fit with the possibilities in your dream.

For Freud, fishing pole, or rod, would be a sexual symbol fitting his insistence that all aspects of human behavior are sexually related. If this does fit in some way with your waking life it would most likely indicate personality habits or traits you inherited or picked up from your father. Those would be sexual aspects that now affect your behavior.

Note: My father was very much a 'womanizer' and in my early adult life I also had a tendency to seek 'love in all the wrong places'. My actions were an unconscious response to the lack of love and acceptance from my father {he left my mother with 4 children when I was six years old}. I unconsciously picked up these motivators of behavior from him. Such inherited traits are common and although they may not always make you do one thing or another they greatly influence human behavior in later life. As the saying goes, 'like father like son'. The basis for that is the experiences in early life influence, and can be recognizible indicators of, behavior in adult life {again I point to my post New Study-Our personalities may be set as early as 1st grade as one study that shows how early 'indoctrination' affects behavior.

The better possibility to your fishing pole dream would be a representation of your quest and exploration of your unconscious mind having to do with teh relationship with your father. You may be ready to confront issues and emotions which you have suppressed about that relationship. Water is a common symbol for unconscious contents and the deeper the body of water {oceans, seas and large lakes} the deeper the unconscious contents {as in repressed emotions}.

Getting a second fishing pole may indicate a second chance. Are there or is there a desire for some type of reconciliation with your father?

Your friend Ian probably represents characteristic or aspects about him that you possess or wish you possessed. Does he have a strong relationship with his father?

Another thing to consider has to do with fishing. 'A fish is a symbol of Christ and may therefore function psychologically as a symbol of your true self'. Here it may apply to fishing for your true emotions, having to do with your father. The sea would be a symbol for the unconscious and catching a big fish, or realizations/realtionship aspects to do with your father, would be a 'big' thing in your life.

Apply the possibilities I have given to those in your life. Look to 'better possibilities' I mentioned first. But do not overlook the Freudian aspects. At your age, comparisons to others is a common. A big strong pole that catches big fish could definitely apply to Freudian thinking. Age is very important when dissecting any dream.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Hmmm...maybe there is indeed a sexual connotation. ian used to be a body builder but unfortunately he just went through a divorce and is really depressed. I have always admired his will power.

In regards to my father, my relationship with him is not too bad. He was strict and controlling to a degree, but it's nothing too unusual for a father. yes, I like to have a better relationship with him (and my mother), but I don't actually spend too much time thinking about him. I just think he needs to deal with his own fears. Im sad that he still has not dealt with them and he's already in his sixties.

Leo,
The issues with your father, although seemingly small can still be an issue you are working with. What about the 'dealing with his fears' issues. Could there a fear on your part you to could have the same fears? Unconsciously?

As far as Ian. It may be the will power you admire for his inclusion in your dream. Other people will appear in a dream for such reasons, admiration of aspects they possess you admire. Or other aspects about him. Are there depression issues you have had to deal with recently? Your dreams are about your emotions and other people will appear because they do possess aspects you admire, or dislike.

Jerry

Oh I have the same fears for sure, fears of failure, fears of success, etc. And yes, I had to deal with depression, chronic minor depression plus anxiety to be specific but Im feeling much better now. I'm not 100% recovered but Im certain I have hit a turning point as I haven't felt this relaxed in a long time.

Leo,
Your progress is what is important. Ian's strong points are your strengths as you make progress, and are most likely the reason he was in the dream. And the shared characteristics with your father probably fit with the unconscious {submerged in water} fears I mentioned. The second fishing pole may be about the progress you are making, representing a second opportunity. Stay the course, focus on those strong points. Discipline is the key to success.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present