Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Animus

Hello! This is my first post here.

In the past few months, I have had several dreams with my Animus figure. The first one, I first was being chased by a sabre-tooth leopard :), and I tricked it into going out a door. At that point I became lucid. I felt a presence with me, and I asked who are you? He answered "Dodd." I asked what are you. He answered "the animus" (I love it when it is so straightforward like that.

This last dream, I was lucid the whole time, and I felt a presence with me again, so I asked "who are you?" He answered, again, "Dodd." I felt during this entire experience a very strong energy in the root/sacral chakra area. I felt a very strong desire to merge with this presence and did so :) It was a wonderful experience. I am wondering if someone here might understand what the chakra energy could mean?

I am happy to have found this board! Thank you.

Angie

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 42, Minnesota

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? No

Re: The Animus

Angie,

Being chased is most often symbolic of some emotional conflict in your life that is 'chasing' you in search of resolution. The sabre tooth leopard could be a feminine symbol which could represent threatening emotions {being emotional a feminine trait}. Doors are often passageways to the unconscious. Tricking the emotions could be a deception, believing you have resolved an emotional issue.

Dream 1
Becoming lucid may be a negative aspect of dreaming. I am not a fan of lucid dreaming because it can take away from the therapeutic value of a dream {dreams help resolve emotional conflicts and/or point to those aspects that bring about wholeness in the dreamer's life}. When one starts to 'play' with a dream it takes away from the intent of the dream.
But in this case you did the positive thing when you went lucid, you asked a question. The presence you felt was that other self, the animus. Because the animus is your masculine self it may be the dream is focusing on those aspects needed to complete yourself. Let's look at the second dream to see if it adds anything informative to this dream.

Second Dream
The Root Chakra, located at the very bottom of the spine, governs issues around physical self-preservation. These issues include survival, security and safety, as well as primal erotic and procreational urges. Survival, security, self preservation are masculine qualities. Your animus. The desire to merge with this aspect in the dream may suggest you need to incorporate your animus so to have a balanced psyche. Does your personality have a weak animus, taking control? Are you too 'emotional'< lacking the ability to control your emotions?
Or the opposite. Perhaps your personality is too strong and needs to be better controlled {either could fit with the controlling of your dreams, lucidity, the overall focus of the dream, either taking control or being too much in control}.

Who is Dodd? If a real person then there would be qualities about him the dream identifies with or you identify with in either a positive or negative way. If not a real person then it would be symbolic of some thing.

What fits with your personality? The dream statement. "I felt a very strong desire to merge with this presence and did so" may be important {the dream ending often suggesting a resolution}. The strong desire to merge with this animus aspect {suggesting a weak animus}. It may be consciously you believe you have a strong animus {"and did so"}. Are you tricking yourself?

Going back to lucid dreaming. Is it affecting the therapeutic aspect of the dream? Look at your personality and determine whether it is weak in masculine traits. If so then there would be a need to merge this aspect. The focus is the animus so where it fits with who you are is the question in need of resolution.
And who is Dodd?

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Thank you for your response. I developed the ability to become lucid in my dreams as a teenager when I nightmares every single night. I used it as a way to wake myself up. These days, when I become lucid, I try not to affect the content of the dream too much, but I use them occasionally to ask questions of my dream characters and why they are there. I only become lucid in a dream about once a week. I feel it has enhanced my healing this past year significantly.

I have no idea what the name 'Dodd' means to me right now. It is not an actual person. I have had issues where I have had to take control of my life and also issues with men from way long ago that have affected my life in ways I didn't even realize.

Now, with the merging, I felt like I needed to bring this part of me back into me if that makes any sense. This 'merging' gave me a sense of wholeness of self.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Angie,
Gauging from your last response, and as a norm, the dream seems to be addressing two issues involving the masculine. Your own animus as well as past relationships. Jung tells us all dreams have at least two interpretations and your response seems to support that proposition. Taking control does look to be the issue with both. It is good news that you are in that healing process.

In your original post you stated how you loved it when a dream was so straightforward. Dreams are seldom straightforward especially with dreams in older adults. Although Jung tells us the dream means exactly what it says {as opposed to saying the opposite in making s true statement}. Of course the language of symbol and metaphor has to be correctly interpreted to understand what 'it is saying'.

There are times I believe lucid dreaming is a positive thing in the healing process. One is where there are experiences as yours with the nightmares and asking questions {asking questions in a dream is always a positive tool}. I have read studies where Iraqi and Afghan veterans with severe trauma injuries also can benefit from taking control of their dreams. They too were suffering from nightmares. The Lucidity Institute has done a lot of great work in their research in lucid dreaming.

Merging the animus is always an important aspect for emotional healing. With men it is important to merge the anima, more so in my opinion since most cultures are so patriarchal they tend to ignore or even subdue the feminine aspects. As I have often stated, Jesus lived out of the feminine aspects {caring, compassion, giving, loving}. God tended to be a masculine type with his jealous, sometimes wrathful and vengeful 'personality' {for anyone who believes in the concept of a personal God}.

In your dream post the dream makes the statement, "I tricked it into going out a door". Are there past experiences with men where that statement would fit? Although the next statement was "At that point I became lucid". Could the word lucid have a dual meaning here? Lucid in your dreaming as well as lucid in your attitude? Perhaps you are having more straightforward statements than realized.

I am always interested in any experiment with dreams, even lucid dreaming. I believe there are many aspects of the psyche that are unrealized or forgotten. My intuitive senses have been greatly enhanced with my experiences in working with dreams. Not only in understanding dreams but also with other aspects of my intuitive nature {see Physical Fitness, Psychology & Wholeness}. In historical terms the building of the pyramids in Egypt as well as other parts of the world is still a great mystery. One of the hypothesis I believe to be possible is there were knowledge then that have been lost. Just as early humanoids used their senses to survive, and which have been largely lost or ignored because they are no longer needed, lost knowledge is a reasonable hypothesis. It is definitely a better possibility than aliens and UFOs coming to earth and providing the tools to build the pyramids {not rejecting the idea there could have been strange objects seen my early civilizations and given attention in their art and spiritual rituals}.

What we are left with is the question of 'who is Dodd?'. It could be that answer will come later in future dreams. We can assume it is a masculine figure. The strong energy in the root chakra, the base of where the psyche energy lies and begins, may be a clue. Joseph Campbell has described this as a place of alimentation. I take that statement as the following: any substance that can be metabolized by an animal to give energy and build support for the body. Of course we are taking about something that can not be seen on an operating table, the invisible energies that give and support life. Merging of this energy, or better yet incorporating it would be a positive thing for a better physical and psychological health. Eastern philosophies have always had a better understanding of the mysteries in the world and chakras are one of those concepts. Kundalini yoga, a subject Campbell gave a lot of attention to, may best describe this Eastern concept. Tapping into ones inner energy and awareness. In your experience, because you are aware of the importance of this concept, a merging of something you know has great energy.

Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Thank you again. Sorry I took so long to respond, but I needed to contemplate what you said for a bit. I really do appreciate all of the time and thought you put into your answer.

I can't remember a time with a man that would fit the leopard situation. However, I did stay in my marriage too long 'hoping' that he would decide to leave instead of me making the decision. I'm not sure that has anything to do with this. Before this dream, I had begun looking at what some call "power animals" and started seeing black panthers and leopards in my visions and dreams. Also, when I became lucid, I felt at that moment that I had just tricked my "power animal" into leaving.

I asked the question the other night about Dodd...who is he and what does he want to show me. I had an interesting dream that I am certain has to do with this that I haven't completely figured out yet. I was in a bar getting my prescriptions filled (yeah lol). I received my 2 bottles of pills. I set them down for a moment and turn around. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a man take the bottles and switch my pills. I grabbed them and opened one up to see what he did to them. In the bottle, the pills were all had the word "ecstasy" written on them. Then, I am in a theatre looking for a seat, and a young man (who I took to be an acquaintance who I barely know) grabbed one of the bottle from me. I told him, "I know you took it." He answered. "I did. What of it?" Then another man (another that I barely know) grabbed the other bottle and hid it behind his back (he had the one where the pills said ecstasy). I asked him to give it back, but he denied he had it. :)

I have only in the past year or two been seriously working with my dream world (I was always too afraid before because of the nightmares), and it is so fascinating to me. They have helped me come a great deal farther in life (I believe) than I would have come without this.

Angie,
What 'meds' do you take? {something you need not answer but merely consider}. It may be important to understand medications and the affect they have on dreams. Even over the counter cold medicines can affect the contents and cycle of dreams and cause 'corruption'. The 'tricking' of the leopard in your original dream could be 'tricking' of the dream content. Add that to your lucid dreaming and there may be unexpected alterations to normal dreaming {other than the desired intent of lucid dreaming itself}.

In your most recent dream those trying steal or remove your meds are men. Perhaps there is an unconscious if not conscious desire to stop taking the meds {your animus exerting its influence}. There may be a recent experience where this has been given a priority {two men you barely know representing something more recent}. There may be a conflict over the 'meds' {medicine is taking for healing purposes} or the approach in how you do perform the needed emotional healing. There could be the possibility of 'denial' with the dream statement ' I asked him to give it back, but he denied he had it'. Something is 'chasing' you and such experiences in a dream suggest something is wanting to 'catch up with you' so to perform the healing needed.

Jerry

Thank you again, Jerry.

There is definitely a desire to stop taking some meds. One I discontinued a few months ago for sure contributed to sleep/dream patterns. I am happy to not have to take this one anymore. There is another that I am hoping to be off of by next month (better physical health), and there is another that I will probably have to stay on for life (thyroid). So I am with you on that interpretation.

I forgot to mention the ages of these men in the dreams. The first man who switched the pills would have been about my age or older (40s to 50s). The one who blatantly took them was an adolescent, and the one who denied would have been about 30. I think these may actually represent me at these ages somehow.

I also wonder if the man in is 40s is the part of myself that is offering me a better way to healing, but that I am sabotaging it with old habits (the adolescent and 30-something)...hmmm.

Angie

Angie,
In Jungian psyche 40 or 4 is the number for wholeness. And 30 or 3 is one short of wholeness. Both numbers would fit with the healing you need and the sabotaging of that healing. 'the one who denied would have been about 30' would be your denial. Numbers are important {read the last parts of joann's dream a dream of wolves, a tiger and stars}.

To continue the conversation we could look at your age 42. 3, or the sabotage is in between 4 and 2. Four is wholeness and 2 represents conflict as well as duality {of spirit and body}. You are at a point in your life where you are in between great realizations about yourself. Add 4 and 2 and you get 6. Six is also a number for wholeness, a resolution of conflict in the human life. 6 is reverse of 9 which is spiritual wholeness, complete wholeness. 4+2+3=9.

We could go on and on. Such is the way of the dream. Fascinating. You can understand my great interest. 18+ years and it gets more interesting with each posted dream.

Jerry

Hi again! I was just wandering back over this set of dreams, and had a realization. Last summer, my husband and I split up. While we were together, I always wished that he would be the one to make many of the decisions and also wished that he would be the one to take action on things that needed to get done in course of daily living, and he never would. I always felt like was left responsible for all of the 'male' and 'female' roles together, and this made me very resentful, dig my heels in, ignore things that needed to be done in hopes that he would just do it.

Now, that we are separated, I truly am responsible for everything, and I don't hate doing it anymore. However, it is taking me time to adapt. I am finding there were a 'few' things that he used to take care of that I now need to learn how to do. I'm wondering if my desire to merge with this aspect is me trying to find a way to gracefully accept my new roles?

Just a thought...

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Minnesota

Angie,
That seems to fit very neatly. Here is my response to the second dream that may lend to your insights to merging the masculine.

The Root Chakra, located at the very bottom of the spine, governs issues around physical self-preservation. These issues include survival, security and safety, as well as primal erotic and procreational urges. Survival, security, self preservation are masculine qualities. Your animus. The desire to merge with this aspect in the dream may suggest you need to incorporate your animus so to have a balanced psyche. Does your personality have a weak animus, taking control? Are you too 'emotional' lacking the ability to control your emotions?

Take out the last sentence and what you propose fits exactly. A need to 'gracefully' integrate those masculine aspects since you are now required to do so. It could be your masculine attitudes were more developed than you thought. The resentment you felt toward your husband may be been because you possessed stronger masculine aspects than he but did not utilize them. Now that you are in a position that you have to it may be merely a need to 'gracefully' do so. A merging of the masculine with the 'graceful' feminine.

Does that fit?

Jerry

That all seems to fit very well. Part of my holding back and waiting for my husband to take care of things was me wanting him to be a stronger partner. Alas, that was not going to happen (took me 14 years to figure it out...lol). I have had a strong desire this past year to make myself a 'whole' healthy person again before I pursue a relationship.

Something else interesting regarding the 'medicine' dream. After visiting the doc this past week, we discovered that one of the meds I was taking was, indeed, causing my body harm (it was one I had felt I wanted to be off of anyway). I wonder if dreams can tell us what is hurting our bodies long before we actually realize it in waking?

Angie

Angie,
Yes, dreams do sometimes warn of an illness or physical condition before it is consciously known. Not a regular interpretation found in dreams but it could be a seldom occurrence only because so few people interpret their dreams. Such a possibility is included in my recent response to Angela's dream Mouse in Breast. The language in her dream could be addressing a physical symptom but we have to be careful when interpreting a dream in such a fashion.

One possibility in your dream is the pills were included due to a waking experience involving the medicine. We would have to consider the context of the pills in the dream. But switching the pills could address a need to change the prescription. The ecstasy could describe a function the pills provided, something you would need to discern about the 'bad' prescription your doctor changed. If that fit then the chances are the dream was addressing the negative aspects the pills were having on your body. The unconscious dream knows before the conscious mind. The proverb about the shadow knowing such things is probably why the popular radio program of the 40s used the proverb 'The Shadow Knows'. A truth whether or not the authors were aware of it.

Jerry

Thank you again Jerry for all of your time on this one. I feel now like I have a good grasp on it. :)

stats from 7-14-10 to the present