Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fight or Flight

The dream starts off with me throwing a party at my home which looked nothing like my actual home. Many of the people I did not know there but I did recognize one person, a very good friend of mine/former coworker. She was coming up the stairs with her 1 year old son and was helping to decorate.

I was very edgy because I was aware that there were some men who wanted to kill me and I was afraid they were going to show up at the party to do so. I told this to my godfather and he suggested we go after them first. He said he would take care of everything. So he took me to where they lived which looked like a run down hotel/apartment building. He left me on one of the floors and went to look for them in different rooms with what looked like a machine gun.

After he left me there I looked down the hall at the window and saw one of the men coming up the fire escape through the window. I was so scared I couldn't scream or say anything. I looked in my purse and saw that I had a small sawed off shotgun in it so I pulled it out and shot him in the face. People started screaming and yelling and running away. In the midst of all of this three more men were coming so I shot them as well. It was a little difficult because 1. I was holding it upside down and 2. I was only using my right hand so I couldn't steady it properly. I was also a little concerned about running out of ammunition but somehow I never did.

I finally run outside and run into my godfather. One last guy comes along so I steadied the gun with both hands and shot him as well. People were surprised but I cannot remember them screaming or being upset. I realized that we had to get out of there, so I looked to my right and I saw that there was a cab and a bus driving past. My intent was for us to get into the cab. I grabbed his arm and told him that we had to leave. Instead of getting into the cab as I wanted, I ended up looking at the bus to see if it would take me where I needed to go. It said 8 University. I get on the bus but my godfather misses it and keeps running down the street. I was worried because I wondered where he was going but had a feeling I would meet back up with him later.

I thought that the people on the bus would go into a panic seeing me with this shotgun so I tried to put it back in my purse but it wouldn't fit. Ironically, everyone on the bus was perfectly fine. After a few moments I felt safe, but then I started to worry again because I shot these men in front of a lot of people. I was particularly worried about the last guy since it was in the middle of the street and I began to wonder if there were street cameras that picked all of this up. Mostly I felt guilty for taking several lives. Even telling myself that they were going to kill me first didn't help. The guilt simply became more powerful.

After riding a bit on the bus, I finally see my godfather get on and I feel a little bit better that we'd caught up with each other since I was afraid he would get caught by the police. My next concern was getting back to the party in time but the closer I was getting to my home, the guilt became so strong I was on the verge of tears. It was so overwhelming that I woke up and had to realize I was only dreaming.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 34 Chicago

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Fight or Flight

Sophia,
I will provide an interpretation later today. But it does seem there are masculine aspects in your life that you are having serious problems. It could have to do with the animus.

One question that may be important to answer. Do you have a real godfather? If not then 'he' would represent a higher aspect within you. It could have to do with both.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Ok, thank you!

Yes, I have a real godfather. The one in my dream was the one in reality.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

I just wanted to point something out that struck me as interesting about this dream. I always dream that someone is after me or trying to kill me, but I usually escape by running away and avoiding it. In this dream, this was the first time that I actually did something about it and struck first, albeit at the encouragement of someone else, but I did it and felt guilty about it in the end instead of victorious.

Sophia,
Such repetitive dreams are reflecting something in your life that you are 'running away from'. Something so strong emotionally it left an unconscious {if not conscious} impression on your psyche. It will be there until there is a resolution.

Doing something about it in the dream is usually reflective of finally doing something about the emotional experience in your waking life. That may reflect an actual/literal act/deed of a conscious intent that is sincere. The guilt may be a part of the emotional experience, a realization there is an emotional conflict in your life that left feelings of guilt because of the experience. Your 'doing something about it' may be the realization there is an emotional conflict, the first step toward resolving it. Instead of feelings victorious, the realization brought back the original feelings of guilt

Is there a recent experience that would fit with the above? What in your life have you begun to act upon, even if it is a beginning of a memory of a past emotional experience?

Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Sophia,
The inclusion of your godfather, a real person, in the dream may be revealing something about that relationship. But his inclusion does not indicate anything negative. Are you close to him in your waking life, perhaps a bit dependent? {in this dream he 'takes care of everything'}. Also it was when he left you saw the danger with the men who wanted to kill you. These of course are unlikely real men but probable masculine relationships involved in your life {if not relationships then they would represent animus qualities}.

I get the impression this dream is in part addressing more recent waking life experiences that are causing you emotional distress. But they have been doing so for awhile. When did these 'running away from something' dreams begin? That may provide a clue to the dream scenario. The beginning of the 'running away' may reveal deeper emotional attitudes related to earlier life influences. That may point to reasons for attitudes you possess today.

In your dream, when your godfather left, you became defensive in your attitude {possessing a gun and using it}. This may point to an experience where you did become defensive about some thing, perhaps lacking support that would keep you from such attitudes. Such a response would not be a regular experience {holding the gun wrong and being steady with it}. The change in attitude coincides with being put into this defensive mold. It involves the possessing of plenty of 'ammunition', perhaps a reference to something verbal or physical you used in the in an experience.

In your ego life {running 'outside'} there is that constant presence of your godfather. This again may suggest a dependence. Or perhaps merely a strong relationship. Examining the relationship with him provide an answer to which it is if not both. In the process of defending yourself you feel you must save your godfather.

The cab may suggest needing support so to get where you need to go, perhaps a temporary situation. The bus may represent your whole life/being. This may involve a temporary need vs an overall or permanent support. is there an aspect involving your godfather that has to do such support. Or some other aspect of the relationship that would fit? The number 8 my represent 'wholeness' in your ego life. It may be requiring you to do something you are sure is the best way to proceed in some aspect of your life, or in the relationship with your godfather. Either way you decide you know he will be there when you need him.

The temporary attitude you had an experience with is something you wish to 'put away' but for some reason can not. The guilt you feel may be a response to your own actions, this uncommon attitude you displayed for at least one time in your life. You may have been provided with something you wanted/needed but in the process there is guilt involved {the reason for guilt feelings instead of feeling victorious}. The taking of several lives may be about a taking of 'more than you should' aspect. This increases your guilt.

And so does 'getting closer to home'. We have your godfather as a factor in this emotional event, a defensive mold that you take that is not something you usually do, a desire to get to that place where you can celebrate life but because of guilt you are unable to do so. Compare these things and what I have provided above and see if they fit with your life. Because of my impressions of recent events it is more difficult to sense what it may be you are 'running away from'. Examine the above and let me know your impressions. The primary question, if related to the 'running away from something dreams', is what is you are running away from and may have caused you to become defensive in your attitude. Your godfather does seem to be involved in the experience.
The deeper aspects would be definitely be addressing animus qualities. I don't believe that is the primary focus of this dream but a lesser aspect. Of course those aspects play into who you are and why you are that person and could provide clues to personality traits. Those underlying aspects would be important in reconciling personality conflicts, where as the more important focus of the dream would be on present experiences that would be related to the deeper aspects.

A lot to ponder. I would not ordinarily poss so many questions but because i do believe this involves recent waking experiences, they would be something you have not totally processed and would be less visible in a dream due to them being recent. Only you can know the answers to this.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present