Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A few dreams that had a massive effect on me

I had some of these dreams probably 1 or 2 years ago but I still remember them in detail. They felt like really important ones and I can't really forget them, not that I want to. Would be thankful if anyone can share their thoughts on what they could mean. I'll try to be brief so that you don't have to waste too much time.

Dream 1.

I'm sleeping in my bed and the doorbell rings. I open the door and a really strange being stands outside, it's half man half woman and behind it is an abyss with something like a spiral inside of it. It tells me "Come with me if you want to know the answers to all your questions" and the abyss starts sucking me in. I'm scared and close the door, but then I change my mind and grab the handle to follow him. Upon touching the door knob I'm awaken (in my dream) in a moving train on sunset or dawn, can't tell. It's a very pleasant moment and a voice coming from nowhere tells me "Your path is eastwards".

Dream 2.

I'm again in my flat and through some inaccuracies in the interior I get the feeling that I'm lucid dreaming. So I go out and meet my parents on this quiet street. By that time I know I'm dreaming and I look at them and it's really funny that they are in my dream and don't know it. I look at them and say "You don't even know you're in my dream right?" and they just stare confused. I figured they won't understand and start flying above the trees. Then I start swimming in the air and arrive at the place where I spent my childhood. From above I see an old man in great detail, I know that this is me after 60 years. I start talking to him and tell him "it's you" he answers "do i know you, have i written about you in the past" and i say "you are , aren't you" he confirms. I reveal to him that I have come from the past and he says "this is amazing" i start laughing really hard, can't stop and he tells me "we have to talk, but not here there's a construction going on" and I woke up in disbelief.

dream 3.

I met some people who told me that jogging was really healthy so I joined them but couldn't catch up. So I ended up running through some corridors. Eventually it turned out I was running in an insane asylum, at first I thought I was there just for a visit. But then a doctor started chasing me while transforming into a skull. I got to the office of the head of the hospital. It was quite cosy inside, I explained that I shouldn't be here. He said "that's fine, but we won't need this small walking stick" and he placed a small metal walking stick next to the library, then he turned evil and said we're going to need the biggest one. And then while I was laying in bed as if there was a camera right above my head I saw my body through a very strange angle and something plunged me into space with my bed. I couldn't move, i was in this weird space and matter itself was decomposing and dripping. I was flying without control, I could move just a little bit and when I did the space became a cube and I could feel it's solid sides. Then this voice appeared again and told me "The ancient greeks knew it before the mayans" and I woke up (in my dream) in my room, which was a bit changed and there were some other not so important stuff that followed but I'll skip it.

So there are three of my most bizzare dreams. I would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on their possible meaning. Btw I've read some of Jung's works on the subject but still can't make anything out of them. All I know is that they are important for me.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 23, Bulgaria

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? no

Re: A few dreams that had a massive effect on me

Bog,
Dreams of someone your age more often focus on the outer world of waking ego and self with cultural and societal conditions influencing those dreams. But because all dreams address both the waking life of current events {especially in younger people} as well as the inner world of 'becoming whole' and reconciling the deeper emotional issues, I will leave it to you to determine what would fit an 'abyss' culturally or any current events that may be occurring in your personal waking life. I will address the inner the deeper issues since I do 'perceive' the dream to be addressing those aspects.

First Dream

The strange being on the outside may suggest aspects about your outer self you do not recognize or want/fail to accept. The half man/half woman may be saying something about your personality that leaves parts of your inner self spiraling in confusion or in conflict. An abyss can symbolize 'deep fears of the hidden feelings inside of you' and because could be a failure to recognize or accept these 'true' aspects it psychologically can 'suck you in' causing deep emotional wounds. Closing the door is refusing to recognize/accept these true aspects. Changing your mind suggest confusion in your waking life, trying to get a 'handle' o this inner/outer turmoil. It is the acceptance of the need to 'let this true self out' that you awaken to the truth to who you are. You are moving forward, accepting this emotional load {train}, facing the sunset of non-acceptance and the dawn of the new tomorrow. The dream statement 'Your path is eastwards' may be a personal identification of some kind since you already live in the Eastern world {whereas Europe/the US are the Western world}. Eastwards, in small caps, may suggest eastern philosophy, as in Buddhism, since that philosophy recognizes the inner self as an integral part of the human condition {Buddhism is more a psychology as it is a religion}. Are there such 'eastern' influences in your waking life?
Or the 'eastern' direction could involve personal preferences that only you would know about.

Second Dream

The 'inaccuracies of the interior' could be a telling measure of accepting the true self, fitting the theme from the first dream. The scenes of your parents and the unfolding dialog/scenario seems to be addressing outer issues where your parents are not aware of something about you. It could be, for them to know the real person you truly are would cause confusion, something they would not understand. Flying above the trees would represent 'liberation'.

Swimming in the air could symbolize you are exploring aspects of your unconscious mind and emotions, seeking the true aspects of self in life that allows you to 'breathe'. The exploration may about the foundations {childhood influences/experiences/inherent traits that make up who you will 'become' as an adult}. 'Do I know you' is the inner dialog between unconscious forces with the need to recognize/accept consciously the true self. There is a need to walk and talk with this unconscious/conscious dialog. That realization/acceptance is still 'under construction". The waking condition of disbelief may be saying something about 'believing' in who you really are.

Third Dream

The 'catching up' would likely be about catching up with the inner truths which would be the healthy thing in your life. Without this you are 'visiting' the possibility of living with an insane world of not accepting the self self. The doctor is the inner healing that needs to be acknowledged by the outer self. The skill may represent hidden 'inner secrets' with the head {the skull is hidden under the skin}. You are getting into the head, exploring the truths about yourself, getting more comfortable with the true inner self. But there is the outward world to confront, a place where you may still feel the 'true you' does not belong. There may be strong 'debilitating' outer conditions that underlie your life's story {library} that need real strength to overcome. Unconsciously you are trying to work through these issues, the true self decomposing because you can not be that self in the waking world. This would cause the outer world 'would out of control'. There is positive movement to recognizition of this inner condition but the wholeness you seek.

The last part, parts of which you 'skipped' and which could be important, suggests an outer exploration of 'mythical' possibilities that would fit with archetypes that are descriptive to your psychology. In other words the 'greek knowledge' is a mythological pattern of behavior that fit with your own psychological condition. It is a 'knowledge' that has been known even before the time of the Mayans. This part also may be addressing your own unconscious knowledge, ancient in that it has been a part of your true self from the beginning, and before the time of 'Mayan' knowledge. The Mayan aspect may have to with recent stories of 'doomsday' events, which in your life could represent a 'doomsday' scenario if you were to 'let the true self out'.
Have you read about or studied stories of Greek and/or Mayan history or mythology recently? The same question can be asked about 'eastern' philosophies in the second dream. These could have an influence on the contents of your dreams.

The question becomes, and all three dreams seem to strongly point to, who is the true self that has been hidden within and seems to be afraid to be made known outwardly. This is in my estimation the primary theme in all three dreams. The parts that you 'skipped' from the third dream may be important since the ending of dreams usually are important.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn. USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Hi Jerry,

Thanks a lot for your in-depth analysis. I read some of the other threads and what you're doing here is great. I really appreciate it.

I was amazed at how accurate your analysis were. Some of these dreams happened about 2 years ago and since then a lot has changed in my life and personality.

About the first dream, before that I had little idea about Buddhism as well as eastern philosophies. After that I randomly read a few books that involved ideas of eastern thought and I began to research Buddhism and Taoism. This first dream was the very first of these 'important' dreams that I had and since then a lot of things happened to me that shaped my character.

This thing about the parents in your second analysis is spot on as well. As for the third dream, I had little interest in ancient Greek mythology or history, as well as in Mayan prior to that dream. It appears as if they came out of nowhere. The part that I skipped is that I woke up in my sleep, again in my room and I sat on my computer to tell message someone what happened but I couldn't open anything on the computer and there was a strange light behind the glass door of my bedroom with something like a shadow of a propeller or huge wind generator. On my desk there were 3 cell phone that I don't own.

Some time has passed after these dreams I rarely have these 'important' dreams now and my personality changed a lot. I think I am now more in peace with myself and rarely feel bad, also with this new perspective my life seems to be better than ever (or it always has been but I never noticed it). All in all, prior to these dreams (and other experiences) I could say I was more frustrated but after that I became liberated sort of.

Thanks again

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

Bog,
The 'strange being' in the first dream would be a 'strange' part of yourself, strange in that it is 'alien' to those aspects about yourself you never realized/knew. In your case this seems to be a positive aspect. Such experiences at first are frightening but once you get a 'handle' on these 'answers' to your true identity you learn to get a handle on them. Going 'eastwards' I believe would be a direction of the Eastern philosophies. It could be an unconscious recognition from the 'collective unconscious' not related to actual waking life experiences {I had little idea about Buddhism as well as eastern philosophies}. Such instructions are possible. Because of the dream you set out to learn more about Buddhism and Taoism, making the dream instructions 'to go eastward' an unconscious experience. There may have been conscious recognition related to these unconscious events but either way you have chosen to investigate something you were previously unaware of, Eastern philosophies. These philosophies may be a 'soulful' connection/attraction, something what would be stronger than any waking experience for those whose paths are governed by fate {fate has consequences in every life but for some it is so defining it is inevitable not to follow}.

The second dream involving your parents pointed to 'confusion', something they would not understand. Your inherent roots are from childhood and who you are at 60 is mostly governed by those experiences/influences {unless you are fortunate like myself to discover the true identity, beneath all the emotional baggage}. The dream statement and question from the 'old man' {'have i written about you in the past'} also points to these early roots. Realizing your future depends on the past, this may be realizations the dream is providing you, directions pointing to what path you need to travel in your future {and the reason you titled your post 'A few dreams that had a massive effect on me'}.

The third dream suggests a lot of emotional turmoil in some aspect of your life {running an insane asylum}. Are there inherent family aspects that require healing? Hidden secrets? Greek mythology have a lot of 'tragedies'. Perhaps again the 'collective unconscious' is at work here, using unknown resources to provide insights to inner healing. "The ancient Greeks knew it before the Mayans", Greek mythologies having a history long before the Mayan culture {the deluge of Mayan doomsday theories may have an influence and fit in some way with your personal life}.

Let's examine the part you left out in your original dream post.
The part that I skipped is that I woke up in my sleep, again in my room and I sat on my computer to tell message someone what happened but I couldn't open anything on the computer and there was a strange light behind the glass door of my bedroom with something like a shadow of a propeller or huge wind generator. On my desk there were 3 cell phone that I don't own.

Waking up in your sleep would be an conscious waking to unconscious aspects. Not being able to open your computer, a new form of expression in the 21st century, may be a lack of ability to consciously recognize new aspects about yourself in the present time. 'Strangeness' is again a part of the dream, the light giving you the ability to see your 'shadow' aspects that 'propel' you to do things not natural to your being. This too may point to 'inherent' aspects involving family. Realization of these 'life forces' {wind} could generate changes in your life. This seems to have already happened, the fact you have a better disposition on life.
Can you pinpoint any family aspects that are inherent and could cause conflicts in your life?

The 3 cell phones. This may point to receiving new information in your life that will affect your whole being {body, mind and soul}. But it could also point to 3 aspects or experiences, or something to do with the number 3. Look at this and see where it may fit. It would likely to have to do with 'communication' of some type.

At 23 you are still in that early stage of life where life choices will determine your future. I sense this dream is dealing with personal and family issues. But because there may be 'collective unconscious' influences it may be addressing 'greater' possibilities in your life. I would give a lot of attention to the dream statement 'Your path is eastwards'. When the collective unconscious gets involved with the dream psyche you can count on it be an important event in life. This may be your opportunity to 'greater things' in your life.

Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi Jerry,

I actually thought a lot on what "Your path is eastwards" meant. At that time it didn't occur to me that it could be related to Eastern philosophies. I had the faint idea of going to South-East Asia and after that dream I thought I should do it. I still haven't done this trip though but I still plan to at some time when I manage to save enough money and have enough free time.

After I read quite a lot about Buddhism and Taoism (this happened not more than 6-7 months ago), I had 2 dreams connected loosely to them. In one of them I was sitting on some pavement in a lotus position and began to meditate all of a sudden. This meditation started to levitate me upwards and then I woke up. The other one was me lying in a bed and making the Ohm sound until that sound sent me to another strange place of total darkness with a calendar and a fairy (I'm not sure of those two things). The sensation of moving to another dimension is really strong though.

Concerning my family, the possible conflict with them could be that they always wanted me to follow in their footsteps - to be a successful middle class person, to have the maximum amount of money etc, you know these sort of ideas. Something which was never appealing to me, they were always very practical about what I should study and how my life should developed. So I stopped sharing any ideas I had with them and made my own way without their knowledge.

I still can't figure out the Greek and Mayan thing. It does sound like it could have something to do with the collective unconscious, still I have no idea how it could be related to me. The Greeks had developed their civilization indeed long before the Mayans, but apart from that I can't connect anything else.

Concerning the 3 cell phones, there is something which I forgot to mention, one of them was really bulky and huge, it was inside a case of some sort. It had a sign on top which said (in English) "big cell phone case".

Thanks again for your thorough analysis.

Bog,
The 'Eastern Way', a descriptive term used by Joseph Campbell 'The Sacred Source: The Perennial Philosophy of the East" in his book Transformations of Myth Through Time {repackaged as 'Mythos hosted by Susan Sarandon} was most likely influenced by your idea of going to Southeast Asia and your studies of Buddhism and Taoism. But what is important is the imprint it left on your psyche. It may be important that you follow up on this 'idea' since it could be an 'inner' calling, a natural connection to the universal psyche. Such possibilities do sometimes come up in our dreams especially when something there is a conscious connection, as you state in your studies of Eastern philosophies. Your 'levitation' was not by chance, but perhaps by 'divine' intervention.

The 'inaccuracies in the interior' could also fit with such travels. But also it could be those true inner emotions that are 'opposite' of what your parents wanted from you by 'follow in their footsteps'. This caused you to stop sharing your inner thoughts and desires with them. The dream is merely reflecting your true self, such reflections being one function of dreams.

The Greek/Mayan connection could very well be from the 'collective unconscious'. Tapping into those 'natural' aspects of Eastern philosophy you are tapping into unconscious formations born from 'earthy' experiences and not something created by man {as are most religions, all being myths created by men and not of actual experiences connected to the natural world}. Remember the proverb: myth is the universal dream, dream the personal myth.

The cell phones likely are symbolic of 'communication'. One could have to do with the conflicts you have with communication with your parents. Dreams reflect those internal conflicts that need resolution. The huge and bulky phone would be a 'huge internal conflict' and the case holding it would be 'you'. It likely would represent a huge lack of communication in some aspect of your life.

What has happened, and one reason it is good to interpret our dreams, is you have begun to given deep thought to those emotional conflicts in your life. Often we go through life ignoring these issues and they only get worse. The dream's natural processes is to help resolve the emotional turmoil even though we may not realize this important function of sleep and dream. The dream world is the 'other you', the true self wanting to be let out and made conscious. Whether it be an emotional conflict having to do with outer conflicts with your parents or the true and deepest desires of the soul, the 'natural function; of dreams is to help resolve these psychological conflicts. I use the term psychological because no matter the experiences in life, including physical, they are all psychological or become a psychological process.

Go East young man, go East.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present