Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Her Black Coat

Hello Jerry.
Some days ago my mother in law died and right now I remembered that some nights ago I dreamt about her! Strange I could not remember my dream the morning I woke up and it came to my mind right now, maybe 2 or 3 days later. So, here's the short dream

In my dream, I visited my mother's in law home and I was fully aware that she had died. My husband, his sister and me, sat on the balcony of the house, having coffee. While we were talking (random talk, not about her death), I saw at the end of the balcony , my mil's expensive black coat was hanging as if someone had washed it and had hung it dry. I thought "ah, that's one piece of cloth that I would like to take from her wardrobe"

In real life, it is true that I really liked that wonderful black coat, made of fine wool and with a fine design. I asked my sister in law if I can have that coat, she agreed.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 31. Greece

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: Her Black Coat

Cynthia,
Visiting your mother-in-laws home would represent visiting some aspect of the relationship you had with her. On one level it could be the valuable black coat. Some elements may be addressing her death. I dare say the actual waking experiences had something to do with stimulating the dream. No matter the primary focus of the dream it is addressing your true emotions about her. Whether they are positive or negative will be left for you to discern. Perhaps the dream will 'betray' or portray those emotions.

The 'deeper aspects to the dream.
A balcony is often symbolic of an extension of yourself that needs/wants to be noticed. This would be an unconscious attitude toward her. A coat is something that 'covers up' the body and provides warmth. But it can represent protectiveness and a defensive persona.
Black is often symbolic of the unconscious {exploring the depths of the soul}. It can also be symbolic of negative aspects/attitudes. It is an expensive coat which may suggest it comes at 'a high cost'. Or something that is 'worth a lot'.

Drinking coffee with your husband and sister may represent feelings for toward your m-i-law. Coffee is often something you partake of when in general conversation. You share certain emotions with your husband and sister.

Perhaps what is most telling about the' relationship' with your m-i-l is from this dream statement:
'That is one piece of cloth that I would like to take from her wardrobe'. This statement may suggest there is some aspect about her that you would like to possess {other than the coat}. This would be an inner aspect whereas the actual coat would be an outer aspect. Two aspects to every dream is what Jung tells us the dream will possess. The outer aspect being the issues with possessing the coat. The inner aspect possessing something she had in her personality or aspects about her. Or even the possibility of something negative you about her. 'Taking from the wardrobe' may be language of removing some negative aspect about her. The coat had been washed. Being hung out to dry may represent something that was obvious about her.

Look at the relationship and determine which fits.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn. USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

I think this "removing negative aspect about her" fits just right!!
She was a woman I could never get close to. She was annoying, somehow snobbish and showy and shallow.
Enough times she was getting on my nerves but I never talked back out of respect as she was my husband's mother. This, was pressing me. Here is the strange thing : the moment I learned she died, right that moment, I forgot all the wrongs she had done. I forgot all the annoyance. I only remember things as Facts but I don't remember the bitter feeling. It surprises me some times how this thing happened so automatically, it really feels like I took a black coat off her wardrobe, leaving it with only colourful dresses.
That's how I feel about it and I think this last interpretation fits. Thank you Jerry.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 31. Greece

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Cynthia,
It was not so clear about the 'wardrobe' to say yea or nay to the positive or negative possibilities to your relationship with your mother-in-law. Removing the cloth suggested a negative possibility. That was the only dream statement that lent itself to a negative relationship with her. What was clear was the dream was focused on the inner aspects, your emotional relationship with your m-i-l. At your age of 31 there is a greater possibility of an outer focus as the primary message that the dream is trying to communicate. The unclear wardrobe part plus your age will most always leave open the possibility of an outer waking focus. It was when I reread the dream and the 'removing the cloth' caught my attention. Clothes in a dream often symbolize persona/personality qualities and in this instance that held through to her personality. And the negative relationship you felt.

It is wonderful you were able to not to focus on the bitterness. That could have suggested deeper emotional conflicts. It is a positive commentary on your personality, being objective and not overly emotional. If we could all look at things in an objective way and not let the emotions overrule our thoughts, what a wonderful world this would be.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn. USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present