Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shark (Jaws)

Sorry for the slow response on this, but it often takes me a bit of time to consider things. Anyway, when looking at this dream, I felt like I was trying to protect the young girl (part of me) from a "truth" that if she were to go onto the floor, she would be devoured by the "sharks."

I kind of put some things together in recent days. When I started dating last spring, I found that with some men, I would have horrible anxiety when I could feel them pull back (I'm highly intuitive and very easily feel these things), and I would 'freak out,' and it took me this long to figure out why. Each contact I would have would feel like an "approval" of me, and there was the part of me that never felt approval. They "liked" me; therefore I was good enough. Then, when I would feel one pull away, I no longer felt good enough. I did not want to feel this way...it felt silly and childish to me, and I was ashamed of it, and I was so angry at myself for feeling this way and rejected that part of me that was looking for approval.

My friend who is helping me with the childhood things, which I didn't even realize are related, was helping me with this also and said to try looking at this feeling that i have as a living, breathing entity and to tell it that "i am here for you, and I love you." It had never occurred to me how horrible I was being to myself. Amazing the things that are right in front of our eyes that we don't see.

Your question "Did you unconsciously sense something about this person that gave you cause to question the relationship?" The answer is a definite yes, and the relief was definitely that I did not have to worry anymore.

I love the world with dreams. I began studying shaminism, albeit slowly, a couple of years ago...that has become one of my passions. I am getting a little better at interpreting my own dreams too. You have been quite helpful in this regard.

I apologize for rambling a bit, but I feel I've made a big shift recently, and I'm a bit excited about it.

Take care,
Angie

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Minnesota

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Angie,
Thanks for the response. As for being slow to respond, the fact you are thinking about these issues is what is important. Just as the Dream Forum provides a positive release simply by letting a person 'vent', getting the person to give serious thought to the issues a dream presents is also a positive. The dream is a direct link {often symbolized in dreams as a hallway, being on the shore by the sea} the unconscious and those emotional issues that have been repressed, retarded or forgotten consciously still remain as unconscious issues to be resolved. Resolution requires the dreamer to give serious thought to the issues and the dream. It usually takes time for such resolutions.

A floor is often symbolic of the person's basic foundations, those principles a person is brought up with in early life. The sharks of course would be aspects, emotional aspects that threaten to disrupt the conscious ego. The fact you did not have an abusive childhood doesn't mean there are not issues from childhood. Improper parenting, not enough attention, acceptance, loving environment, are strong issues that become basic principles within the unconscious psyche. Your feelings toward those men you feel pulling away would reflect early life experiences/influences of similar actions from close relatives. You did not get the approval early in life and unconsciously it remains an issue. And as often is the case these neglected issues are played out later in life, and throughout life.

This was my experience, never having the needed approval from my father as a child and playing that neglected part in later life, especially in my 20s. I finally found resolution in Jung's Individuation Process, beginning in my early 40s after I had discovered Joseph Campbell {which of course was when I started my journey to a creative/spiritual identity as reflected in my Myths-Dreams-Symbols website}.

The process you felt from the men pulling away, the anger and shame, these reflect emotions from earlier life, in childhood. Somewhere in that experience there was a need for approval for which you never received. Understanding what those experiences were may be hard to come by, especially if they were a part of your very early childhood. It could be very early in childhood, when the psyche is capable of retaining experiences/influences but before memories are retained {studies show children usually begin to form lasting memories at about the age of 4}. Parenting skills may have not been as they should have in those years but improved later on. Or it could be the skills were never as strong as they should have been and those experiences have been consciously repressed/forgotten. Unconsciously they remain and will come up in dreams.

As for 'looking at this feeling that i have as a living, breathing entity and to tell it that "i am here for you, and I love you', that will help. But the real resolution comes when you discover the foundations, the floor, of these negative experiences. There again is where dreams are helpful. What is locked away consciously remains forever in the unconscious. And if the experiences were very early in life where you are not able to remember, exposing the inner feelings related to 'pulling away' is the next best thing. Plus, if possible, discussing your childhood with your parents and siblings. That may help with discovering more about your childhood {in my case, my memories are less than my 3 sisters who have filled in many blank spots in my childhood}.

And for creativity and spirituality {which are related in that by sharing your creative self you are giving of yourself, a spiritual endeavor}. Your studies in shamanism is a great path to be on. Especially if it a passion {as is dream work and my MDS website are for me}. Joseph Campbell introduced me to shamanism early in my metaphysical education. His Transformations of Myth Through Time is wonderful piece of work and I highly recommend it {Note: Campbell as a child took a great interested in Native American mythology which lead to his wonderful career as a scholar of myth and Jungian psyche. And of course his instructions to the rest of us to 'follow your bliss'. For me my bliss is my dream work and websites. For you, could it be shamanism and those related topics? Getting better at interpreting your dreams is likely due to these studies since both dreams and shamanism {myth} have a great reliance on symbol and metaphor. The big shift in life would be very positive if it involves your interest in shamanism.

Note: While writing this response my television is tuned to 'Home Improvement' show. Jill, the wife, is studying psychology and in this episode, and in several others, she uses Jung's Individuation Process as a part of her dialog.....synchronicity!!??

Another note about this program is the cookie neighbor 'Wilson' also uses Jung and Jungian psyche in several episodes. In fact in this episode, when Jill seeks his counsel he uses Native American references to answer her questions {Wilson would likely be considered a 'shaman' with his great philosophical knowledge. My guess is the creators of the show have a queen knowledge of Jung and his philosophies.

Jerry

Myths-Dreams-Symbols is Sponsored by:
Gifford Fence-Middle Tennessee    &     Gifford Fence Orlando

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Angie,
Another page I have created for Campbell's 'Transformations of Myth Through Time' is an excerpt from the book title 'The Perennial Philosophy of the East'. This chapter delves in the 'universal ideas' or folk/ethnic' ideas that are related ro Jung's Archetypes. Here is a piece of that page that illustrates the richness of knowledge Campbell offers from this work.

Myth comes in the same zone as dream, and this is the zone of what I call the Wisdom Body. When you go to sleep, it's the body that's talking. What the body is moved by are energies that it does not control. These are energies that control the body. They come in from the great biological ground. They are there. They are energies and they are manners of consciousness. But we also have in this body this affair of the head, and it has a system of thinking on its own. There's a whole manner of consciousness that stems from the head-set, and it is different in its knowledge from that of the body. When a baby is born, it knows just what to do with its mother's body. It is ready for the environment into which it is put. It doesn't have to be instructed, these things happen. This is the work of the Wisdom Body. That same wisdom brought the little thing onto form in its mother's body. It was shaped by these energies that live in us, and of which we are the carnal manifestation. This wisdom of the dream, wisdom of the vision, is the wisdom then of the perennial philosophy. When you dream, your waking conscious aspect does not understand the dream, and so you have to go to a psychoanalyst, who doesn't understand it either. The interpretation is gradual and it comes from the exploration, by the head, of your won wisdom. And so we find that there is a kind of radical distinction between the perennial philosophy in its mode and axioms, quite different from the axioms and mode of the rational system.

Fascinating stuff. This book illuminated my psyche perhaps more than any other. Let me say also the book and related audio book and video {hosted by Susan Sarandon} has been remade and renamed. It is now called Mythos. The link i provided offers short videos.

Jerry

Myths-Dreams-Symbols is Sponsored by:
Gifford Fence-Middle Tennessee    &     Gifford Fence Orlando

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Synchronicity is a wonderful thing :). I find that I have more frequently been experiencing this lately. A few weeks ago, I was driving and reflecting on one such amazing experiencing and thought to myself "wow, i just love synchronicity," and I kid you not, I went to switch radio stations, and the song "Synchronicity" by The Police was playing lol.

Looks like I have much reading to do. Thank you for all of the links.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Minnesota

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

stats from 7-14-10 to the present