Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Campbell's Monomyth-The Basic Patterns of the Hero Journey

I have put together a new page that outlines the basic patterns/stages of the Hero's Journey. Included are several short videos that illustrate the various stages in cinema film

A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man. ”

This widely distributed pattern was described by Campbell in The Hero with a Thousand Faces. Campbell and other scholars, such as Erich Neumann, describe narratives of Buddha, Moses, and Christ in terms of the monomyth, and Campbell argues that other classic myths from many cultures follow this basic pattern.

Campbell describes some 17 stages or steps along this journey. Very few myths contain all 17 stages — some myths contain many of the stages, while others contain only a few; some myths may focus on only one of the stages, while other myths may deal with the stages in a somewhat different order. These 17 stages may be organized in a number of ways, including division into three sections: Departure (sometimes called Separation), Initiation, and Return. "Departure" deals with the hero's adventure prior to the quest; "Initiation" deals with the hero's many adventures along the way; and "Return" deals with the hero's return home with knowledge and powers acquired on the journey.

Here is the page. Which stages can you identify in your journey?

Monomyth

Jerry

Myths-Dreams-Symbols is Sponsored by:
Gifford Fence-Middle Tennessee    &     Gifford Fence Orlando
Melbourne Dreams & Metaphysics

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Campbell's Monomyth-The Basic Patterns of the Hero Journey

I think I'm going to have to read up more on this. I definitely see myself in many of the first steps. In reading the steps, I believe I have often taken a step forward and then retreated a bit out of fear before continuing on.

Angie

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44, Minnesota

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: Campbell's Monomyth-The Basic Patterns of the Hero Journey

Angie,
Having been on my journey for some 20 years I have discovered there are various layers to each level of the monomythic journey. Although progress and then regression are common in this heroic journey, often you will discover you have reached one plateau only to encounter another level of patterns similar to the previous layer. I am reminded of Joseph Campbell's quote that 'life is a series of trial and revelations'. You get past one barrier, climb one mountain, only to encounter another barrier/mountain to climb. Usually these levels you encounter, and progress/overcome, are the actual levels of the momonmythic journey. It is only after you have reached a relatively high level of the journey you realize this to be true. These realizations come with experience, in life and 'becoming' alive. Life is full of 'becoming'.

Jerry

Myths-Dreams-Symbols is Sponsored by:
Gifford Fence-Middle Tennessee
Nashville/Murfreesboro/Brentwood/ Franklin/ Lebanon/Hendersonville/Mt. Juliet/Springhill
Gifford Fence Orlando/Gifford Fence Melbourne
Melbourne Dreams & Metaphysics/Dream Interpretation Space Coast

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

stats from 7-14-10 to the present