Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jerry's Dream

I had a dream last night that helped clear a lot of confusion in may waking life due to the changes over the past month involving my move from Middle Tennessee to the Space Coast of Florida. This was a move I had planned for some time, a working process in my mind as well as in factual preparation. In my 'fantasies' I saw nothing but positives in this relocation but in my experience I knew it would not be that simple. I knew there would be 'confusion at some time after I had arrived. As it has turned out the lack of simplicity and the abundance of confusion have been true.

Because of the stewardship of Joseph Campbell I am well aware of the complexities of the hero journey. The multiplicities of the 'mythical' journey are entwined with all kinds of new challenges, especially when the hero/heroine transcends an important threshold. Because I have structured my life with that of the monomythic journey I can look to and use those patterns to determine my course, and gauge my progress. There can be no doubt this is a threshold for me, a major life change at the age of 62 with early retirement and moving a vast distance to a new place where I am away from the safe confines I have lived for so long.

I don't often interpret my dreams and when I do it is usually because a particular dream has left a coercive impression on my conscious mind when I awake. Such dreams are important for me because they help stir my ship in a right direction when my path becomes 'errant' or confused. The word errant is applicable because it suggests something known but has been deviated from. And confusion is a constant in life, a lesser problem in stirring the ship but one that needs mindful correction if the desired destination is to be realized in a timely manner. My dream from last night helped clear a lot of my confusion and most likely prevented me from making 'errant' decisions. I say this because I awoke with a sense of new purpose and a desire to pen this experience, as I am doing with this post.

I will only give details of the very last of the dream since it was that portion that brought about conscious clarity to my 'confused' mind. Of course what transpires within a dream co-insides in some manner with the waking life of the dreamer, whether it be conscious or unconscious. The actual dream was very detailed and looking at the overall scenario I see the entire dream was focused on the confusion in my waking life. But it was the last part of the dream that provided real clarity to the dreams message, and at the same time provided stimulus to what I consciously already knew I needed and intended to do. Without further drama here is the last portion of my dream.

I was walking along a wall that was built up from the lower ground about 20 feet high. I realized it was a height to high to merely jump down to so I continued walking the wall looking for lower ground or a way to descend. As I walked along I had the impression I had done this before and because of the past experiences I did not have a sense of alarm. I knew what I was looking for and felt sure it would appear in time.

Suddenly I had a feeling there was someone else close by and I turned to see a man I recognized as a fire chief. He was dressed accordingly in a uniform and I had a sense of comfort with him. He too was looking for a way to descend to the lower ground and because he was an 'older' gentleman I offered my assistance. We walked a ways stopping to look at possible places to descend and conversing about whether a particular spot was suitable. I had dismissed the idea of just jumping down because of possible injury. We continued to look for a place to descend and as we came to a curvature in the landscape I noticed a spot that had levels built up from the lower ground to the higher position. The fire chief and I moved slowly downed the tiered levels to firm ground.
End of dream.

This dream definitely fit with my waking conscious life since over the previous several days I had given a lot thought to my progression in several aspects of my intentions involving my dream work and designing several of my websites. Over the past 4 Sundays since I had arrived in Palm Bay I had visited three of the nearest Unitarian churches introducing myself and forming relationships for my future plans of presenting classes on dreams and Jungian psyche {I already have offers from two of the churches to give presentations}. The dream, after giving some thought to its meaning, was offering insights to this waking life condition, as well as providing reassurance that I was right in being prudent in taking it slow and be cautious. In one aspect I didn't want to force myself to forego the wonderful change in location and enjoying this divine place by the sea. In another I wanted to be sure I was ready to go forward with my intentions {dream classes} and that the outer world was ready for me. The dream confirmed the emotional anxieties I was experiencing but also reassured me I was on the right path.

Breaking Down the Dream
Many of the symbols in the dream have simple interpretations.
Walls are barriers in life. Built up walls are those barriers that over time become created emotional obstacles that need to be brought down {descending the wall in my dream}. I identify with these 'built up' walls in reference to my 'needles' worries about the move to Florida and all that could go wrong. They were in fact needless because because I had done all I could o to insure success. Plus I had the 'helping hands of fate to support me as do all heroes and heroines who dare venture the Hero Journey.

The primary focus of the dream {all dreams have a primary focus and secondary focus-Jung's position that all dreams have at least two applications/meanings} is the 'higher position' of achieving the important goal of my successful move to Florida {which was done as planned, and without major incident-I brought four cats with me}. I had worried about all that could go wrong prior to leaving Middle Tennessee and that when I arrived the obstacles I would encounter in achieving those goals I had set out to achieve.

The second application is the higher position of the psyche, having learned Jungian psyche and awaken my intuitive mind to the point I can use it in sharing what I have learned. This is my first great achievement. Its application is focused on the deeper aspects of my journey. Within this framework is a part of the 'Ultimate Boone {read about this position in the Monomyth}.

Joseph Campbell: "The ultimate boon is the achievement of the goal of the quest. It is what the person went on the journey to get. All the previous steps serve to prepare and purify the person for this step, since in many myths the boon is something transcendent like the elixir of life itself, or a plant that supplies immortality, or the holy grail."

The lower ground is my true ground, that place of bliss I have been working toward ever since my first introduction to Joseph Campbell and Jungian psyche some 20 years ago. It is factually my higher position but because of our ego nature we must realize the true ground of our being and ascend to the depths of our inner most self before realizing the true self. More on that later.

Of course I am on a search, we all are. A simple application to the search in my dream. But again there is a primary focus on the more important elements of the search, the recent waking life experiences. The 20 foot reference {I look at numbers as having significant meanings within a dream} is a number I look at as being the 'two' divisions of being, as well as the two applications of the dream. The zero is the primary ground of our being. It had to 20 feet to fit within the dream since two feet would be an easy height to descend. Plus the other possible applications would fit with the number 20. I would have to look deeper to determine what they might be but I feel they exist.

The impression I had done this before. In real life experience as well in dreams I had. The many times I have had to descend to lower levels are numerous and the 'impression' in the dream I see as an intuitive one. Intuitive feelings/impressions are always correct and because the dream used the word 'impression' I felt comfortable in my position even though I knew I needed to descend to a lower level. There was no sense of alarm in the dream, just a casual experience there was a need to achieve something. I had confidence in the dream and in my true self I also have great confidence.

Note: The deeper aspects of the lower level metaphor has to do with my great interest to learn more about the deeper psyche. Moving closer to the ocean for me is both an internal as well as external stimuli that epitomizes my soul's quest for deeper knowledge.

The fire chief. Why was there a fire chief that needed my help? Looking back at the dream my original thought of this person was he was a mayor but on a quick second examination I realized he was the fire chief. Recent elections and a recount of one particular mayoral election may have had an influence on this symbol.

The fire chief represented putting out an emotional fire. Since the task at hand was to merely scale the wall to a lower level the dream focus was on something that was a minor problem {now that I once again realize my 'higher position' in relationship to where I am and where I was before I discovered Jungian psyche }. This chief is another part of myself, in control but needing guidance at a time of indecision. He was older, I am older {62}. His was dressed accordingly. That fit with another concern, a minor emotion, I have given thought to recently.
In the past several days I have lamented on the desire to be dressed accordingly to area which I now live. Casual. I normally dress simple and wear shorts {I still have a physique where I am able to dress much younger and get away with it}. I do need to find 'Jimmy Buffet' type clothing to wear to church since I do wish to be more appropriate in attire in those confines.

Dismissing the thought of 'jumping' to the lower ground. That would fit with the realization I need to let things progress, not force things to happen but let the forces of natural law run its course. This is a reflection of a truth of the law I live by that when you do all you can there is no need to worry about what will come next. No need to worry about finding avenues to express myself when it comes to my dream work. I have had two invitations already to give presentations on dreams. Jumping down and possibly injuring myself si about emotional injury. If I pressure myself to do more, especially to worry about it, I would be making a mistake and causing undue emotional injury.

I have made a move to Florida for many reasons. One is the weather {it will be 81 today, November 13}. I have wanted for a long time to live in a climate where the trees are green year round, where the attitude is geared to being outside. I am working on a tan for the first time in 12 years. I am going somewhere everyday {almost every day to the beach and the ocean}, enjoying the local and the scenery. I am moving away from the reclusive confines I have lived for the past 8-9 years and am having to be 'Rescued from Without'.

Campbell:
"The hero may have to be brought back from his supernatural adventure by assistance from without. That is to say, the world may have to come and get him. For the bliss of the deep abode is not lightly abandoned in favor of the self-scattering of the wakened state. 'Who having cast off the world,' we read, 'would desire to return again? He would be only there.' And yet, in so far as one is alive, life will call. Society is jealous of those who remain away from it, and will come knocking at the door. If the hero. . . is unwilling, the disturber suffers an ugly shock; but on the other hand, if the summoned one is only delayed – sealed in by the beatitude of the state of perfect being (which resembles death) – an apparent rescue is effected, and the adventurer returns."

The Dream Ending
"We continued to look for a place to descend and as we came to a curvature in the landscape I noticed a spot that had levels built up from the lower ground to the higher position. The fire chief and I moved slowly downed the tiered levels to firm ground."

The dream is reaffirming the confidence I have in myself as well as working to help alleviate any negative emotions I encounter in this phase of my journey. It bis also affirming the pressures I feel about achieving the goals I wish to achieve. Getting past the pressures I put on myself and being 'natural' is how I stay on firm ground. The tiered levels of the psyche, of the journey, of life itself are all a part of the metaphorical reference to this grounding commentary by the dream. It is 'I' who must extinguish the emotional fires that come about as I traverse the walls that confront me. The fire chief is in need of assistance but in his role he is also a wisdom figure. He knows how to extinguish fires. Using my wise self to 'help myself', my experiences of the past extinguishing other bigger fires, this is what I gain from this dream. There will always be walls to 'descend'. But by being confident and vigilant, using the wisdom I possess from experience, and with the helping hands of fate to guide me, I can feel confident in my grounding on this particular day in November where the weather is sunny and so is the forecast for the future.

I did awaken feeling this dream important. Likely, in the coming days there will be events/experiences that will lend themselves to just how important this dream really is. Although dreams tend not to be prophetic I do believe they do have away of playing out in future evetnts that relate back to the dream. The fact I slept an extra hour and a half is another indication of the importance of having this dream. I never, ever sleep more than 7 hours {my usual pattern of sleep for many years} and even if I wanted I have four cats who like clockwork awaken me to be fed. They did not do that this morning. All apart of Ascension, apotheosis, and atonement of the monomythic journey.
Jerry The God Within You A Prayer For You

Myths-Dreams-Symbols Dream Forum
Sponsored & Supported by:

Gifford Fence Co/Middle Tennessee

Gifford Fence Orlando/Melbourne Fence Pro

Daniel Gifford's 2Stain Fence Staining

Web Design

MyDrSy.com - The Power of Dreams
Melbourne Dreams & Metaphysics - Dream Interpretation Space Coast, Florida

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 62 Space Coast, Fla.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Jerry's Dream

I want to thank you for your website where you share your wonderful knowledge. I'm not sure how I ended up here and reading all the information, but it gives me a peaceful feeling and I am thankful for that. I look forward to the continue reading and knowledge that I will enjoy here.
Thanks so much!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Middle TN

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? No

Jerry,

What a nice dream, so resolving. I want to share a thought I have about it.

For me, confusion occurrs when I am in my head or thinking too much. Going around and around with a concern or concerns and getting nowhere. I love in your dream how the fire chief guides you out or together you guide each other back down. Besides putting out fires, fire fighters escape burning buildings and they are very good at it, the best, really. What a great archetype to have on your side & at your side!

Moving is hard and adjusting takes times.

:o)
Peggy

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Linda,
Welcome, and thank you. Interpreting dreams at the dream Forum is a part of my bliss. Now that I am retired {the first week in October of 2012} I can do it full time and that has been a goal I have had for a long time. It is comments like yours that makes it worth all the years I have put into building the Myths-Dreams-Symbols website {1998} and the Dream Forum.

I see you live in Middle Tennessee. I an a Nashville native and just moved from Murfreesboro to Palm Bay Florida. Besides my son who lives in Orlando my family still resides in Middle Tennessee.

If you have a dream you wish me to look and give an interpretation please post it. Interpretations are free. Everyone is welcome to participate.
Jerry The God Within You A Prayer For You

Myths-Dreams-Symbols Dream Forum
Sponsored & Supported by:

Gifford Fence Co/Middle Tennessee

Gifford Fence Orlando/Melbourne Fence Pro

Daniel Gifford's 2Stain Fence Staining

Web Design

MyDrSy.com - The Power of Dreams
Melbourne Dreams & Metaphysics - Dream Interpretation Space Coast, Florida

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 62 Space Coast, Fla.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present